Where does the directional flasher live?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
More specifically what piece of plastic do I have to remove to get to it? I've seen pics here of the relay bundle (three relays) but I don't know where on the bike it hides.

I want to replace the mechanical flasher with an electric flasher from Custom Dynamics. This may help with my SW bulbs malfunction. If not I'll try the SW vendor. But I should install that flasher anyway.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
The panel that is in the middle fron tto back, top to botom, left side of the bike.

Three screws hold it on.
Have to pop off the passenger seat and you will see the top back screw, by the passenger footpeg you will see the bottom back screw, front panel just below the gas tank (not under, no lifting of tank needed) you will see the front screw.

The top back and front screw are the same size, the rear bottom screw is bigger.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The top back and front screw are the same size, the rear bottom screw is bigger.
Is this the opposite tupp of the battery side cover? I'm going to check that out now. It seems like a quick install. Thanks for the quick response T_C.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Under the left side side panel are two fuse boxes and 8 relays. The relays are enclosed in rubber covers. The relays are arrayed in a group of 4 in one long line and 4 in a two by two configuration. The flasher relay is the rearward most one of the 4 in line.

It's a puzzle of sorts to get to the inside line up of the 4. Take the outer 4 out of their holders to access the inner ones. To my knowledge all the relays except the turn signal are identical and can be interchanged.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
By now you've probably swapped the flashers. By SW do you mean LED lamps? How does the new flasher work?

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Switchback LED front turn signal lamps.
The very same.

How does the new flasher work?
Just dandy. The flash rate is back to normal for both the SW LEDs and the incandescents in the rear directionals.

The rapid flash rate of the LEDs didn't really bother me but the rear bulbs didn't get up to full brightness because of the short duty cycle.

It was a bear to get to that flasher buried way in the back down low. And I think there was a cover on it that got swallow by some crevasse in the ST.

Now all that's left is to see if they work after a few minutes' ride. So far they stop giving any illumination after about 15-20 minutes on the road.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Take the outer 4 out of their holders to access the inner ones.
A puzzle is exactly what it was. I wish I had checked back before starting. I was moving relays just like those old sliding number puzzles.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Now all that's left is to see if they work after a few minutes' ride. So far they stop giving any illumination after about 15-20 minutes on the road.
Huh? Do you mean tge white quits illuminating after 15 minutes?

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Huh? Do you mean tge white quits illuminating after 15 minutes?
Both the white running lights and the amber turn signals stop working after about 15-20 minutes. About 150 miles later we stopped for lunch. A couple of hours later we hit the road but the lights didn't come on. About 160 miles after that I got home and parked the bike. About 15 minutes later I pulled one directional socket out of the mirror cover assembly. Before pulling out of the socket I tried the lights and they worked like they should as though nothing every happened.

So I'll try to check that to tomorrow. It really is a nice look. When it works.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I think some of these lights are using too much in led (power wise) and are overheating.

The first set of SB's I bought had ghe white led's die after a month. They were super bright, but I think with the small sealed housing ghere is just not enough airflow. The white died but the amber still worked so I moved them into my rear light assembly.

The new SB's I think are suffering too from the same affliction. I need to test by pulling them off the bike and firing them up on the bench.

Top Bottom