Windshield goes up but not down?

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
This is not new to my bike. Once or twice a year the shield will not go down, it is not uneven, makes no noise and some cases a good wash of electric cleaner will correct it. One time I took the shield off started to take her apart and then it worked. Lube maybe? I had never done that. What lube and where do you put it? Any help here is appreciated.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Pull it apart and clean and lube the gear, track, and cables. Make sure it is not binding on anything and make sure the limit switches are adjusted with no wires getting pulled on when operating the wind screen.

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
My lower limit switch got blocked by a stray cable from my Aux lights once... Windshield wouldn't go down on occasion. Drove me insane until I figured it out...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gug

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I will check that when I pull the shield tomorrow. It will not go down right now from any height, it is currently all the way up and not moving. I am going to take a look at the switch mechanism as well.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I have an '03 St1300 and the electric windshield from California scientific. It stopped working. I called Mark from California Scientific, and he sent me documentation for the windshield along with a way to troubleshoot it. I took it apart and found that the contacts were touching so i insulated them from each other and the windshield worked again. I hope its a simple fix for you.
Trouble Shooting:
1. Turn on the bike.
2. Check that the dark red t-tap coming off the Honda Accessory Wire Harness has power.
3. Check that the red wires on the Calsci wire harness attaching to the up/down relays have power.
4. Check that the green wires on the Calsci wire harness attaching to the up/down relays are grounded.
5. Check that the long red wire going from the relays to the Honda ABS switch has power.
6. Check that when you press "up" on the Honda ABS switch the long black wire going from the ABS switch to the up micro-switch has power.
7. Check that when you press "up" on the Honda ABS switch the black wire going from the up micro-switch to the up relay has power.
8. Check that when you press "down" on the Honda ABS switch the long blue wire going from the ABS switch to the down micro-switch has power.
9. Check that when you press "down" on the Honda ABS switch the black wire going from the down micro-switch to the down relay has power.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Pull it apart and clean and lube the gear, track, and cables. Make sure it is not binding on anything and make sure the limit switches are adjusted with no wires getting pulled on when operating the wind screen.
I need to do this to my windshield. It's starting to make a couple of short sounds as though it's skipping a beat or two when being raised.

OP
OP
Gug

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
This is some good intel to dive into this, hopefully I will hit bottom. What is a lube that we should use?

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I need to do this to my windshield. It's starting to make a couple of short sounds as though it's skipping a beat or two when being raised.
That sounds like the gear or cables are stripped. iirc there's a thread on repositioning the cables a little bit to get a fresh portion at the gear and another thread where a member had replacement gears fabbed. In the mean time lube and making sure nothing is binding may help.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
This is not new to my bike. Once or twice a year the shield will not go down, it is not uneven, makes no noise and some cases a good wash of electric cleaner will correct it. One time I took the shield off started to take her apart and then it worked. Lube maybe? I had never done that. What lube and where do you put it? Any help here is appreciated.
Check out these threads
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?109334-Windshield-motor-cross-wired
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5AgdjJdxahQNGNiNGZlZWYtYzU4YS00MGRkLWE4NmItZDExYmY5OWIxZDE5/view?pli=1

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
That sounds like the gear or cables are stripped. iirc there's a thread on repositioning the cables a little bit to get a fresh portion at the gear and another thread where a member had replacement gears fabbed. In the mean time lube and making sure nothing is binding may help.
Yeah I'm thinking there may be a worn spot or two as the windshield does go all the way up and doesn't seem like it's slowing at any point. But I will give it a look and check the site for damage control. Thanks.

st1300doug

Is it true....that it's hard on the gears....when using the windshield at speed? Like over 55 mph. Causing stress on the spiral gears..? Thought I read that somewhere years past.....?

OP
OP
Gug

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I don't know if it's been posted but I only raise/lower my windscreen at o mph or very low mph. No troubles yet.
Simply trying to avoid any future problems.
Not a bad move. Will likely adopt this myself.

OP
OP
Gug

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I want to "Thank Everyone" for their input on this issue. I took it apart and cleaned and lubed it up nicely. I also at the advice of another member opened up the handlebar switch and cleaned that out real well with spray electrical cleaner. When I finished it was operating properly. So in going forward I will do this annually. Hopefully no more problems.

I was not able to lube the cables being I was not sure how to. I would think they were the two half tubes that flexed when the shield moved, but did not know how to lube them. But again it was working.

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
My windshield does not move. When I push the button I hear gears turning but no movement. I am thrilled that this forum is the place for me to find out how to troubleshoot and repair it. For now it is static and works to shield me from the wind. I am having too much fun riding to take it all apart just yet. It may be a winter project for me as our riding season in Newfoundland is short. Man, I am having fun on this big bike.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I wouldn't push the button in the mean time. There's a chance the cables may have some life and the gear is gone. There's a post on a replacement gear someone had fab'd up. I don't think anyone's found a replacement for the driven cables. OEM is a full replacement, no components.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Having same issue (moving up but not down). Was going to start checking relays and handlebar switch, but it looks like the limit switches are often at fault. So will start there. Thanks.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I just recently removed and lubricated my rails, cables and gear on the motorized windshield on my 08 ST1300. I do see where you might have to rotate the cables to start wearing on the opposite side of the cable, but didn't do it on this job. Mine showed some character where they have been running against the gear , but still in good shape. I used some marine grease and greased every where I could. I removed the spiral cables from the tubes and coated them lightly too.
My gear is in great shape so far , though there was lots of dried up gunk everywhere that probably wasn't lubricating very well. I wanted to buy some white lithium grease to do this job, but didn't have any on hand. I'll see how the marine grease holds up for next years maintenance.
Great instructions too....was a big help ! Thanks!

Top Bottom