Windshield goes up but not down?

Did you have any pictures of this by chance? I just got back from a 3500 mile trip down the cali coast and up to Yosemite and the windshield got stuck up 75% of the time.
I don't have a pic from my bike, but have this cut-out image from a service manual. ST1300 Windscreen Relays.png

Bike
2010 ST1300
A 2005 ST is 17 years old - long enough for a PO to have run the screen up and down under high loads (over 50 mph). This causes mechanical problems - a damaged gear or the cables. Theoretically, parts will be available in another month. Check this out:

I know this thread is somewhat dated but I've seen similar posted elsewhere. I had this problem as well and while I had the whole assembly off the bike I decided to dive a little deeper.
For those who have narrowed it down to the limit switch, which I suspect is 99% of the people posting, I got the numbers off the switch itself.
Part Number is ABJ29084
2amp, 125VAC
2 microfarad

Under the metal arm you can see the actual switch. The movement is ridiculously small, but if you're quiet you can hear if the switch actually clicks as you open and close it.
My lower limit was definitely stuck. After a liberal bath in contact cleaner and about 500 cycles with my fingers, it seems to be moving cleanly again. I was able to verify with a meter that it is opening and closing correctly now.

It's really easy to miss , but I'm including the pick of the switch assembly off the frame. You can see the switch between the mounting tab and what I assume is a guard plate

My first round of quick googling did not find that switch but I'm sure someone with more skills could cross reference it

Maybe that helps someone

Attachments

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
My lower switch is acting up. It goes in and out at times.

Has anyone else found a replacement limit switch for us to use?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
My lower switch is acting up. It goes in and out at times.

Has anyone else found a replacement limit switch for us to use?

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Thanks for the link Mellow. That thread didn't show up in my search but I almost bought the same switch off Amazon that Nashcat mentions so it now I may just risk the $6.

I'm sure it's the lower limit switch. The last 2 times it has quit "going down" I've jiggled the limit switch with a long screwdriver and it works instantly. It quit 100% today for 60 miles and once I jiggled the bottom one all is fine.

I think I'll replace both when I dive in that deep.

Top Bottom