Setting up a Chinavasion 5" Gen2 GPS

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I purchased this GPS in July 2015 and was commenting on it in the other Chinavasion GPS thread but since this is a different device, I thought it best to start a new thread. I'll post my comments on setup and use as I get along with it. It's a waterproof PND that runs Wince CE6 and many types of nav software. I decided to go with iGO Primo 2.4.

Any other users of this device, please chime in! ;)

I ordered the device in June but they ran out of stock so didn't receive it until mid July 2015. Additionally, the Gen2 normally comes with 8GB of internal memory but the one they shipped only had 4GB so they threw in an 8GB card. Here's what I received...

IMG_2610.jpg IMG_2611.jpg IMG_2615.jpg

It came with the following, (reference 3rd pic, clockwise from 12)...

• User Manual
  • Suction cup mount
  • Handle Bar mount
  • USB cable
  • Power cable from GPS
  • Direct wire (12V) power cable
  • Cigarette lighter power cable
  • GPS Mount
  • 5" Gen2 GPS in center

Last edited:
OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #

Got Primo installed... in Win CE settings, set the Navi Path to the directory with Primo.exe, or whatever software you choose. The Navigation icon on the Win CE home screen is a shortcut to this nav path so one tap on this brings up Primo. Also, several people use iGO8 successfully on this device. I believe Primo is just iGO9.

Primo seems to run just fine off the 8GB micro SD card. Haven't routed much with it yet, just viewed it on my commute this morning and routed myself home. A few first comments...

• From power on to opening Primo to satellite fix was about 45 secs this morning. Might be faster if I get out of the garage quicker. ;)
  • I like the size of the screen and the buttons. Works well with gloves.
  • Brightness is good but need to test at high noon.
  • Primo has LOTS of options... still trying to figure them all out. Not as simple as a Nuvi, but wasn't expecting it to be.
  • I had no trouble with screen resolution, i.e. I didn't have to change any system files, just set the nav path and it worked.
  • I used a few waypoints on my route to get home. I purposely went a different way than my route. As expected, Primo kept trying to reroute me to the waypoint. From the nav screen, two taps and I can cancel the next waypoint. This clears it and Primo automatically reroutes to the next waypoint, which of course can be cancelled as well. Pretty nice feature.
Loading Routes: I've got this default folder layout on the 8GB card... F:\Primo\content\userdata. The Route folder doesn't exist so I created one under the userdata folder and then dropped some kml route files into that Route folder. I was able to use Load Route in Primo and my imported routes came right up, with the correct waypoints. The only issue is, my routing program (Motogoloco.com) and Primo route differently between the waypoints so I need to put in enough waypoints to force them to route the same. Bottom line is, the 5" and Primo seem to work well together, I just need to learn how to use them.

FWIW, I create my routes using Motogoloco. I can then export them into a variety of formats, kml being one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #

Warning!... Playing with the Primo software, I changed the 'Cockpit Type' theme to Alternate 2. When changing this setting, Primo tells you it needs to restart. It restarted but crashed with an error... something about that 'cockpit' file. The error dialog box offered a "reset to default" option but that didn't work. I had to wipe Primo off the card and reload it. Fortunately, the first thing I did when I received the Primo software was make a backup so I just reloaded Primo on the card and set it up again. Bottom line... for "Cockpit Type" use 'Default' or 'Alternate 1' but NOT 'Alternate 2'.

Last edited:

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
Re: Setting up a Chinavasion 5" Gen2 GPS

Thanks for the info Paul.

I have one on order.. since June. I received an email early last week that it shipped..
just waiting on delivery, Then I get set up.
I ordered the IGO8 on micro..
I'll also be checking out the Motogoloco as you mentioned...

I'm sure I'll have questions later once received.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Good deal Doug! Will your Gen2 come with 4GB or 8GB of internal memory? Will be very interested to see how you like iGO8.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #

Thanks for the info Paul.

I have one on order.. since June. I received an email early last week that it shipped..
just waiting on delivery, Then I get set up.
I ordered the IGO8 on micro..
I'll also be checking out the Motogoloco as you mentioned...

I'm sure I'll have questions later once received.
Doug - If you get it in time for LobsterSToc, I'll be there and be glad to help you with it also.

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300

Doug - If you get it in time for LobsterSToc, I'll be there and be glad to help you with it also.
UP. thanks for the offer.

It should be here in time... I'll let you know..

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Any chance that ball mount on the cradle is compatible with RAM mounts? Although, I suppose one could make an adapter that bolts to the the same place.

How is the readability in direct sun?

Do you have any pics of the unit installed?

Bike
ST1300
Any chance that ball mount on the cradle is compatible with RAM mounts? Although, I suppose one could make an adapter that bolts to the the same place.

How is the readability in direct sun?

Do you have any pics of the unit installed?
The ball is smaller than the Ram one, but the bolt pattern is the same, so you can fit a Ram ball.

Visibility in the sun isn't great. The screen is glossy, so reflects. I tried an anti glare film. It improves visibility in certain conditions, but it is worse under others. I actually have half the screen with a film on now, trying to decide which is better. Can't say I have come to a clear conclusion yet.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The ball mount is not compatible with the Ram system. However, the ball mount can be removed and replaced with the Ram ball mount (the bolt pattern is the same). This is what I do when I carry a GPS for rental ST1300s. The ball piece is -

RAM Mount Rectangular AMPS Plate B-Ball RAM-B-347U

It was $5.91 from GPS Express Mounts. It replaces the ball mount on the Chinavasion cradle and fits perfectly. Then you can use any Ram mount system that you wish to use.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Visibility in the sun isn't great. The screen is glossy, so reflects. I tried an anti glare film. It improves visibility in certain conditions, but it is worse under others. I actually have half the screen with a film on now, trying to decide which is better. Can't say I have come to a clear conclusion yet.
Thanks for the feedback! I had been following the other thread for nearly a year now, on the fence about whether to take the plunge. My phone can do a lot of things... but navigate in the rain is not one of them. I bet the sunlight readability is no worse than a phone or tablet.

The ball mount is not compatible with the Ram system. However, the ball mount can be removed and replaced with the Ram ball mount (the bolt pattern is the same). This is what I do when I carry a GPS for rental ST1300s. The ball piece is -

RAM Mount Rectangular AMPS Plate B-Ball RAM-B-347U

It was $5.91 from GPS Express Mounts. It replaces the ball mount on the Chinavasion cradle and fits perfectly. Then you can use any Ram mount system that you wish to use.
Thanks for pointing that out! I figured it looked readily adaptable if the ball wasn't completely compatible.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I think the 5" screen brightness is better than my Nuvi and my iPhone in sunlight. It's kind of odd though... in the house it doesn't look as bright but seems to work pretty well in the sun. Of course, in direct sunlight (sun right behind you), it's still not perfect but usable. YMMV.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Paul - Since you used IGO8 on the Rage, how do you compare it to PRIMO on the 5"?
I'm still evaluating but overall, I think I like Primo better than iGO8. It just seems to flow a little better and has a few options for the main screen as well the shortcut menu. Part of the 'flow' thing may be that I've delved into Primo far more than I did iGO8. I'll work with it a bit more and then post a more detailed review, with screenshots, when I get 'aroundtuit'! ;)

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I ordered one from eBay that, from the ad, appears to be the same 5" unit. Will see when it arrives.

Bike
ST1300
I think the 5" screen brightness is better than my Nuvi and my iPhone in sunlight. It's kind of odd though... in the house it doesn't look as bright but seems to work pretty well in the sun. Of course, in direct sunlight (sun right behind you), it's still not perfect but usable. YMMV.
For me it is not so much lack of brightness as the reflections that are the issue.

Apart from that it works very well, so far.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
For me it is not so much lack of brightness as the reflections that are the issue.

Apart from that it works very well, so far.
That's a good way of putting it Pieterv.

Top Bottom