Setting up a Chinavasion 5" Gen2 GPS

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Uncle Phil said:
one EBay seller who showed them as 'US Ship' and in hand. He admitted that he got his from Chinavasion and had not checked lately - and Chinavasion was out of them.
It really ticks me off when sellers pull this. I see the US Ship a lot and giving the particular product I 'know' the seller must be lying. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I actually have kicked myself for not ordering from Banggood. They have been very good in shipping fast and getting stuff to me. Mind you, they are saying shipping within "8 days" so this might be a difficult unit to source. Their's seem to come with at least one map set which the Chinavision site does not mention.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
It really ticks me off when sellers pull this. I see the US Ship a lot and giving the particular product I 'know' the seller must be lying. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
When I order from a seller that claim US stock but get a tracking number from Shanghai I voice my complaint. A nicely worded email about false advertising and letting eBay know usually results in a significant discount on my purchase.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I wouldn't trust anyone selling any of these Chinese electronics... I presume their shady until proven different, even with a very good seller rating. I'm not saying don't buy from them (I did), but just know the risks. In ALL of the ebay ads for the 5" GPS that I've seen, they show both the Android and WinCE versions in their pictures. Some may say it comes with WinCE, but it may not.

When I bought my 2nd one, it was advertised as WInCE, but I received the Android version. When I contacted the seller about this, I was told the WinCE version was OOS, even though the ad said there was US stock. I ended up keeping the Android version because I was afraid I'd never see the WinCE version... truthfulness and communication are not these seller's strong points. I still use it, and the Android version has some advantages over the WinCE, but I prefer the WinCE version for its glove friendly touchscreen.

I'm thinking about taking another shot at a WinCE version, but I'm also considering the Kyocera Duraforce XD. I believe it's been mentioned here, but it's also discussed thoroughly over on ADV Riders.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Since I'm too lazy to read in depth, does the Kyocera require a data plan to function as a GPS?
I'm still on a flip phone and a $100 a year plan - which I never use all my minutes and they roll over. ;)
Verizon is just dying to get me to upgrade and they will probably die trying. :biggrin:

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Since I'm too lazy to read in depth, does the Kyocera require a data plan to function as a GPS?
I'm still on a flip phone and a $100 a year plan - which I never use all my minutes and they roll over. ;)
Hey Phil. No, the Kyocera does not require a data plan or activation. It's not connected to anything but the GPS satellites (and wifi)! It lives in airplane mode and you use wifi to connect to the Android store and download whatever offline nav apps you want.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hey Phil. No, the Kyocera does not require a data plan or activation. It's not connected to anything but the GPS satellites (and wifi)! It lives in airplane mode and you use wifi to connect to the Android store and download whatever offline nav apps you want.
That does make it interesting to me if all my 5 Inch units die and Chinavasion quits making them.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
paulcb said:
I'm also considering the Kyocera Duraforce XD.
It has a 5.7" screen. Nice. So it's a big smartphone/small tablet that is being used as just as a GPS.

Uncle Phil said:
Since I'm too lazy to read in depth
Ditto. How much is that doggie in the window? I took 37 clicks at the Kyocera site and there were still more needed. LOL Ok now I'll check out your link Paul. Thanks for the info.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
FWIW, there is an EBAY supplier that is selling the 5 Inch GPS with the software included.
They are 'branded' as FodSport, but they are the same unit as the Chinavasion.
Price point for 1 is $111.14 + $4.99 shipping and that includes Primo Software.
U.S. Stock and they have 50+ units on hand.
I got a couple more for 'backups' and they are fine.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
That’s the one I bought, expecting the Windows CE version, but was shipped the Android version, with Primo. Works well, just not very compatible with gloves. I assume yours are Windows CE based and work with gloves?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
That’s the one I bought, expecting the Windows CE version, but was shipped the Android version, with Primo. Works well, just not very compatible with gloves. I assume yours are Windows CE based and work with gloves?
Yes all of mine are the Windows CE version - exact same unit as the Chinavasion but with FODSPORT logo on them.
I was very specific with them about the operating system I wanted, knowing about your 'experience'.
I sent several messages back and forth before I pulled the trigger.
IIRC, there was a drop down box with the selection when I bought mine.
I tested them last night and they work well with my version of Primo that has the motorcycle option.
Maps are supposed to be 2017 and I worked out a deal with them to get the UK/Europe and Australia/New Zealand maps as well
since I bought several units at one time.

Top Bottom