Bazaar (to me) electrical phenomena with my 1999 ST1100

Bike
ST1100
Here's the scoop in the sequence that things have occurred. Some, all or none may be related to each other... and yes I know, by not dealing with this earlier I was asking for more and bigger problems along with being stranded. Good to be lucky (so far) I guess.

1) A month ago my bike sat out in the rain for a day and half and during the next ride, not at the beginning of the ride but progressively through the ride, the signal lights stopped working. I suspected that some dampness got into the switch. The problem went away by the end of the day and hasn't returned. I have since driven in the rain, heavy at times, but have made sure the bike was covered when I've gotten home so there has been no 1 1/2 day period since that one time.

2) ONE time and only one time, when I changed from high beams to low beams my head lights went OFF! Of course the reason I was going to low beams was that there was an on coming car. A quick flip back to high then to low and all was normal. Never to be repeated. It had not rained for several days and I had been riding every day.

3) Last night, after stopping for coffee, I got on the bike and went to start it. As happens but rarely, I didn't keep the starter engaged long enough and the bike didn't start. Normally I'd hit the starter again and away the bike would go. This time nothing! no starter at all! All of the dash lights also went off along with the clock. I turned the ignition off and the clock came back on. Turn the ignition back on and all remains dark and the clock goes off. Cycle the ignition once more and things are 'normal'. I honestly didn't give it much thought as the whole event was about 10 seconds and the bike responded perfectly after that.

4) Tonight, I'm getting gas at Costco and there were long lineups so while the cars in front of me were filling up and I was waiting, I turned my bike off (as I'd done at least 5 times already this day). Go to start it when it was time to move forward, don't engage the starter long enough for the engine to start and bingo, I go through #3) all over again. But this time it doesn't straighten it self out. Exactly the same, I turned the ignition on and all was dark and the clock was off. Every time I cycled the ignition switch the same result. When the switch went back to the off position the clock was at the right time. Then... I left the ignition switch on for an extended period (5 minutes or so), all was dark as per the new normal along with the clock being off as per the new normal. This time however when I turned the ignition switch off the clock comes back on but is reset to 12:00 like the battery had been disconnected. A little later in the event and once the bike clock had some minuted accumulated, I turn on the ignition for an extended period once again and bingo the clock resets to 12:00.
Finally (well not likely "Finally") I disconnected the battery, checked all the fuses I could along with checking the connections I could and looked for any signs for overheating or burning. Nothing. All looked normal. I then reconnected the battery and ALL was back to the old proper normal. Ignition switch on, lights come on, the bike started and I drove home. Even stopped and restarted the bike once on my way home which was about 30 miles.

I can see #1) and #2) being related and I'll take the left handle switches apart and if the switches inside are not sealed units, have a look. I'm not sure #1) and #2) are related to #3)/#4). I'll have a closer look at things tomorrow but thought I'd post this in the main time.

P.S. It does not 'seem' to be anything to do with the kill switch or the side stand switch (FWIW).
P.P.S. The bike has 48,000 kms on it.

Bike
2006 ST 1300A
STOC #
Winston66, Northampton, Western Australia here.
The description you give of the electrical malfunctions that you are experiencing, as the problem is intermittent in character , leads me to suspect that there is , or was a bad connection ie. a high resistance (dirty connection) at the battery. It could be either the positive or conversely the negative connection , but I would suspect the positive as the most likely culprit.This will cause the clock etc to fade (go out, reset) when the starter is engaged as the larger current draw will cause the voltage positive supply to the clock to drop excessively. To (below its operating level) so I would firstly do a double check of the pos. terminal on the battery, and as you have already done a disconnect and re connect of that, you might have already solved your problem.
Another thing to try is a battery load and charging test etc just to assure your self that the battery is in a healthy state and can handle the job it is supposed to do,
Cheers, Winston66

OP
OP
Bike
ST1100
Thanks for the insights. I think... perhaps it's more hope it was the battery connections.

Regards,
Extemp.

Bike
1999 ST1100
A similar (not the exact same situation) happened to me earlier this year, but with electrical problems, this could easily also be your situation. I also have a 1999 ST.

When I turned on my ignition switch, light came on as usual, hit the starter button, everything went dark. Battery was full charged. Terminals were tight and secure. No fuses blown. Hummm....I checked the voltage across the terminals AS I WAS HITTING THE STARTER BUTTON and the voltage dropped to One. Suggest you do this. If this is your case too, then you have a problem with your starter relay - as it turned out, this was my FIRST problem. As I replaced the starter relay (nearly 2 months later as I was busy with other things), turned on my ignition, I only had a faint headlight glow. GOOD...some progress as a faint light was better than no light. All power goes through your starter relay, so I was making headway. I rechecked the battery from just minutes earlier and wow, down from 12.5 volts to 8 volts. Not enough power to start the bike. I believe the short in the starter relay in combination with pushing the starter button simply destroyed the battery as the old starter relay had disintegrated internally and was shorting. The battery may have been on it's last legs anyway. I went and got a new battery and presto, back in business!

Avtrician

Your first paragraph gives the most obvious thing to look at. Water in the grip switches.

Open them up give them a clean out with a water displacement spray (WD40), and then lube with a lithium grease. Give the switches a good hose out, its amazing the amount of crud that builds up in there.

Besides, always start with the easiest to get to first.

Bike
'12 GL1800
STOC #
I agree with the battery connection diagnoses. I had the same thing happen a couple years ago on a trip. Turned out to be a loose connection at the battery.

John

Top Bottom