Fuel leaks no more ?!

My bike STarted leaking fuel like a sieve this winter. And I just now, sad I know, have gotten around to it . . . took all the plastic off to eyeball it and now it won't leak!
The fuel was dripping off the front side of the engine when I first noticed it.
Possible I had a carb leak that unplugged itself? I had a full take with stabil in it all winter and added seafoam this spring.

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Best suggestion at this point, if you haven't solved it already. Top off, run the bike with the plastic off. A fuel leak, if it is present, will be seen or smelled. If you feel comfortable from this check, it's time to ride on. If it isn't doing something wrong, don't wait too long for nothing happening :)

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Absolutely. There's nothing to stop the fuel from flowing.

Last edited:
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Do you have the vacuum petcock in place still? If it was a stuck float, you could have gas flowing until it leveled out with the lowest part of the fuel lines between the tank and carbs.

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
I had an intermittent leak on my 91. But not a big one.

What I eventually traced it to was the pipe from the tank to the filter. One of the clamps had cut into the rubber causing a slit, and depending upon the position of the pipe, the slit would either stay closed, or open sufficiently that the pressure did the rest.
Hose easily replaced and no more leak.

Might be worth moving the pipes around a bit, just to eliminate something like this. Long shot I know, but just to be sure.

Top Bottom