Service

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I changed a few shims at 46k miles to make valve tolerances with better clearance. A manual, set of feeler gauges and a dead cold engine to check this, to make sure the valves seat within parameters while the engine is running.
A have used the 38.50 timing belt replacement for a car, found on this site, for over 20k miles. Age works against your belt, not just total miles. There is a lot of help here for placing a timing belt too.
I wouldn't worry about your timing belt, yet. I recently replaced the belt on my '98 @ 78,000 miles. It was the original belt and the teeth still looked like new. The idler and tensioner pulleys may need lubing at this point ( maybe ). I would basically just ride that bike until the end of the season.

The only thing I would check at this time is the condition of the small coolant overflow tubing where it connects to the thermostat housing, maybe replace the fuel filter, and check to make sure your brake calipers aren't binding ( does the rear wheel spin freely and the front wheel spin with just a little drag ? ).

Check the valve clearances this winter. Don't worry about that either. My bike has held the clearances up to this point, BTW.

You are going to love that bike, I bet.

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
Of course - I forgot his bike is non ABS and an 1100. Sorry - I stand corrected. This makes me wonder about how useful the Tupperware Worksheet will be.
And so there is no secondary master cylinder.

Thanks for your list; it applies to my ST as well.

Top Bottom