New to me 91 ST1100 blowing blue smoke

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Begs the questions: who changed the oil and when?

IIRC, the crankcase breather system vents into the air cleaner housing behind the air filter, IOW between the filter and intake snorkels. It would have to be a significant oil overfill to get sucked into the intakes, foul plugs and smoke exhaust. I'd think the carbs would have to be pulled to properly clean inside the housing...

Measure the amount of oil when you drain it and let us that have become 'invested' in your problem know, please.

John
via iPhone 6

OP
OP
Bike
1991 ST1100 in Black
I will be sure to keep you all posted as to the outcome of the oil change. I think it could be as much as a full quart over filled. The level is completely above the sight glass. I should know by Friday evening, then I have to figure out how to reinstall 200 pounds of plastic

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I'd think the carbs would have to be pulled to properly clean inside the housing...
yeah, I was wondering about what kind of mess is inside the carbs themselves if that much oil passed through. I think your comment is in regards to the plastic air filter housing, not the carbs themselves? I was thinking a good shot of carb cleaner into the snorkels while the engine is running might not be a bad idea, what do you think? I don't have any experience with this kind of thing, not sure what would help and what might make things worse.

Bike
ST1100/ST1300
STOC #
"A good shot" of aerosol / pressurized carb cleaner cans cannot be metered. Strongly recommend AGAINST spraying carb cleaner down the snorkels while running. There is a risk of hydro-lock and bending a connecting rod. It will also dry out the cylinder walls of lubricating oil and possibly score the pistons / cylinders.

I say again, there is a possibility that the oil level may be overfull due to a stuck open float needle, flooding the engine. Does the oil smell like gas?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
"A good shot" of aerosol / pressurized carb cleaner cans cannot be metered. Strongly recommend AGAINST spraying carb cleaner down the snorkels while running. There is a risk of hydro-lock and bending a connecting rod. It will also dry out the cylinder walls of lubricating oil and possibly score the pistons / cylinders.

I say again, there is a possibility that the oil level may be overfull due to a stuck open float needle, flooding the engine. Does the oil smell like gas?
thanks, that's exactly what I was asking about when I said it might make things worse, although it would seem unlikely you could spray enough in there to cause hydro-lock. Have you actually seen this happen?

And I agree with your comment about gasoline in the oil, I don't think the OP has answered this question and it could explain the highly overfilled state of the oil level.

OP
OP
Bike
1991 ST1100 in Black
I haven't got the oil drained yet, I work 180 miles from my house, so I can't get it drained until tomorrow evening. I will be sure to let you know what find, so far the oil I have in the air box and at the full port has been Betty clean and gas free.

OP
OP
Bike
1991 ST1100 in Black
As for hydro locking, are you suggesting I just let it burn it the residue on its own and don't try to clean it or with fluid?

OP
OP
Bike
1991 ST1100 in Black
Also, I forgot to ask, weekday is the best way to clean the excess oil of of my air filter? It is dripping with oil and I hate to pay Honda prices for another if I can clean this one

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
If it's a Honda paper filter, throw it away. Put in a new Honda one or as many of us have, install a K&N (without the foam sock if it comes that way).

Edit: repeating the obvious question: who changed (or "topped off") the oil last???? If it was the previous owner, he owes you 'big time!'

Last edited:

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I will have to spin off a spark plug and put a fitting in to be sure. You are correct the 04 is for the motorcycle in the 06 is for automotive.

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Just realized my compression gauge is inaccessible. It's in my RV 80 miles from here. Had my life been normal, it would have been closer.

OP
OP
Bike
1991 ST1100 in Black
Ok, the final tally is barely shy of 5 quarts of oil...just slightly too much. I changed it and actually used the correct amount (imagine that) and new filter, plugs, air filter and changed the diff oil why I was doing this stuff. The compression test went ok, for some reason number 4 cylinder refused to allow the tester to thread in, the plug goes in ok, but no way the tester is getting? Anyway, the remaining numbers are ok, 2 and 3 are both right at 175, number one is about 165 and I don't know about 4. I did this on a cold engine and did not do the wet test since I couldn't get 4 read anyway. However, after reassembling all that darn plastic the bike rides ok, and the smoke has pretty much been eliminated...probably still residue that will burn off for a while. Now I have to figure out the slow speed shimmy in the front?

Thanks to everyone for keeping my eyes on the target and not letting me go off the deep end :)

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
At what speed does the low speed shimmy happen?
Put the bike on the centre stand, get the front wheel of the ground, have someone help you by weighting down the back end. Now slowly turn the handlebars side to side. If it feels slightly notchy you may need to replace steering head bearings or first off have them retorqued.
tire pressure may be a factor as well some of us run higher pressures with radial tires as high as 42psi.

OP
OP
Bike
1991 ST1100 in Black
I was being sarcastic about the oil amount, it was at least 5 quarts. The tire wobble went away when I managed to do the simple act of putting air in. The front was at 12 pounds and the rear was at 21.it rides great now abs all the oil residue is gone.

STOC #
12 pounds in the front tire? Dangerous. You want to replace the valve stems at your next opportunity. I recommend Ariete aluminum 90 degree stems.

Top Bottom