New to me 91 ST1100 blowing blue smoke

There is a great thread on the forum by ERROR85 in which he rebuilds an ST1100 engine - and as far as I can tell, it’s one of very few treads in which someone gets inside an ST engine. I guess these darned things are just so tough.

On finding the part you need - try to get the OEM Honda part number - and then just type it into your search engine (JUST the part number - no words or any other descriptors) - and you might be surprised to find that there are some around. I also restore and ride a couple of 1970s Yamaha XS650s (think Triumph / BSA / Norton - but with actual working lights) and I usually find parts by simply sticking the part number into google - and virtually in every case, something comes up. You can find the parts numbers from parts schematics at stores like Partzilla or Discount Honda Parts.

The other place are motorcycle wrecking yards - there were quite a few STs around and because of their age, they are being taken off the road - the parts are becoming available that way too.
I've read the thread... it's a great one. But the more I think about it, it would make more sense FOR ME to find a low mileage engine and go that route... IF it does need internal work.

Bike
VStrom 650
Smoker, I think you've had a light bulb moment!
This was only fitted for a short while, Why?
I stand to be corrected but If the bike ran ok for 14 miles then started to push oil out it's not coming past the rings/pistons.
Fit the oil breather and see where you go. You've got to do this first or how do you even start to diagnose other issues.
Although I think what you've done so far makes good sense bearing in mind its lack of recent use.
FWIW.
Upt'North.

So I called the dealer... he has no idea what I'm talking about. He said he saw one part on the fiche that looks like what I'm describing, but it only has two ports, not three... and it doesn't have a part number.

Anyone here have the part number, or an idea of where to find it??!

Agreed - I think that Upt’north has put his finger on it - if the rings were bad, it would not have run clean for 14 miles.
I third that. Bad rings will smoke the second you start the bike.
If oil was coming up past the rings, you are both correct. But I'm 99% sure that's not the case. If combustion is getting past the rings, pressurizing the crankcase, pushing oil up the breather hose, into the air box, through the filter, down into the carbs... totally different story. That's what I believe is happening. And it wasn't good for 14 miles, just till it got warm. By 14 miles I had lost nearly a quart of oil. A quart in 14 miles!!!

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
So I called the dealer... he has no idea what I'm talking about. He said he saw one part on the fiche that looks like what I'm describing, but it only has two ports, not three... and it doesn't have a part number.

I’d suggest going to the dealership and staring at the parts fiche (the little screen thingy) it will have the part numbers written on the exploded view shown on the screen.

The other way would be visit www.discounthondaparts.com and enter the year and model of your bike. All of the exploded views with parts numbers should be there - then simply cut and paste that part number into your Google search window.

It is nothing short of amazing what is for sale out there on the web.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #

It’s on the Fuel Tank fiche:
https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon/50540f6df870021c54bedbd1/fuel-tank

Item 18:
TANK, BREATHER
17551-MT3-000

You’re welcome, and good luck!

Edit: just dug up this old thread, ha!: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?112323
There’s a salvage yard or individual somewhere parting out a ‘91...

BeST, John

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
You still need to install the correct part for your classic ‘91. Those eBay part are cheap!

I’d like to know the backstory on why it is missing...

John

You still need to install the correct part for your classic ‘91. Those eBay part are cheap!

I'd like to know the backstory on why it is missing...

John
I did buy one, but I didn't think to get the hoses. How do the non-91 st1100's vent the crankcase? Remember, mine is actually a 92, but I guess the fact that I even have the ports at all suggests that it would've had the tank originally...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Not owning an 1100 I'm curious... That kinked hose... Is the missing tank part of that connection? Or is there a contoured bit that goes in there to avoid that kink?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
How do the non-91 st1100's vent the crankcase?
that's a good question, I have a guess, but I'm not sure. There's a hose that runs from the water pump housing up to the airbox, that's called a "breather hose". Since I don't think the water pump itself needs to breathe, and that hose connection is outside the water pump O-ring area, I'm guessing that hose might be used to vent the crankcase up to the airbox.

Top Bottom