first bike mvc .....

My wife and I were just on our way home from a fantastic overnight trip to Gatineau Quebec (without the kids!). About one hour from home I pull into a service station to get some water and cool down....it was 31 celcius here today. Stop the bike on the outer edge of the pavement at the station ....well away from the flow of cars going in and out of the service station. I followed a car in from the road and he stops about 10 feet in front of me on the edge as well.....then he starts backing up! My wife was just about to get off the bike when the car continues to back into us and keep reversing.....glances off the front wheel and pushes the bike down to one side. Didn't have time to hit the horn or react much at all. Luckily my wife wasn't injured. She could have easily had her leg pinned under the bike in an awkward way. Idiot in the car didn't even look behind or beside him. My 07 ST is pretty lit up with LED's and pretty powerful highbeams....for no other reason than to be seen! Highway pegs are toast....tupperware needs replacing and foot pegs sheared off....exhaust damaged as well as pannier on one side. To say I was pissed was an understatement. Driver said he though he hit a "planter full of plants". Odd thing is that he drove in right in front of me....stopped...then back up 10 feet before he hit me....must mean he drove over the planter on the way in?? Take great care of my ST and if I ever go to sell it I'll now have to respond "yes" if anyone asks if it's been in an mvc before.
Plan is to take it to the shop tomorrow and have them go over the front end with a fine tooth comb.....I'm going to be very anal about this one and hope my shop is as well.
Hard enough to convince my wife to get on the bike when she hears nothing but horror stories from her friends and now this happens.
On the plus side the officer who attended the scene made the comment twice that he was glad to see riders wearing the proper gear......he even noted her wearing her spine protector in the report.
Anyway...thats my rant. Still had a great ride into Quebec and the blind ******* backing into us won't ruin our riding experience....now or in the future.
Just really pissed about my ST.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Glad you and the wife are all right. Sorry about the bike. It happens to cars too, I know it's happened to me twice in parking lots. People just don't look or those SUVs have those high rear ends people can't see over. No excuse for not seeing the bike though, it's higher up than the hood of a car.

OP
OP
PFD023
Thanks. You are right about the cars....even happened to our Avalanche...twice!

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Wow glad it was not worse. You always have to have a way out even in a parking lot. I had a guy in front of me today in a truck pulling a trailer just start to backup without looking, I was far enough back to get out of his way. Heads up out there for all the clueless drivers!!

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Sometimes you can't avoid the idiots. Glad it was low speed and you and your wife weren't injured.

OP
OP
PFD023
Well the insurance adjuster now has the shop's quote for repairs.....$4641....just over $1k of that is for labour and they've yet to include the front tire that I've told them MUST be replaced as well as my helmet since it did hit the ground. Insurance adjuster is now saying that they are reviewing value of the bike and determining what they'll do next. It's a mint 07' with only 34,000kms and has a bunch of aftermarket items on it. Shop says the value of the bike is at least $8500 CAN.....we'll see what happens probably later today. What a bloody headache.....all cause someone didn't bother to look behind them. No wonder our insurance rates are so crazy.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Maybe a headache but not having insurance would be worse, it's getting done so that's a good thing and it's only an inconvenience, not a funeral.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
That just plain sucks!

I'm surprised that that's all the damage! In a tipover, no a knockover like that I would think the damage would be higher. Things that get over looked in cases like this would be the upper cowl stay (they bend easily) the tipover bars (under the tipover covers) and the little plates that hold them on towards the bake of the bar. If he hit your front wheel, I would want the fork tubes pulled and checked for straightness.

Check out my website and look at the first three bikes that have been wrecked (when purchased) and what had to be replaced. Might give you some ides what to look at:
MyMotorcycles

Good luck!

OP
OP
PFD023
That just plain sucks!

I'm surprised that that's all the damage! In a tipover, no a knockover like that I would think the damage would be higher. Things that get over looked in cases like this would be the upper cowl stay (they bend easily) the tipover bars (under the tipover covers) and the little plates that hold them on towards the bake of the bar. If he hit your front wheel, I would want the fork tubes pulled and checked for straightness.

Check out my website and look at the first three bikes that have been wrecked (when purchased) and what had to be replaced. Might give you some ides what to look at:
MyMotorcycles

Good luck!
Thanks ....will do.

Top Bottom