Complete Carb removal necessary to remove Left head?

All:

I have to remove and replace the left head on my 1993 ST1100. Is it possible to remove the head without completely removing the carb? On my GL1200 the head can be removed while leaving the carb on the engine.

I'm an experienced mechanic but haven't worked on the ST1100 until now. I know with most engines there are "tricks" that can be used that don't follow the maintenance manual. (which I have) If the carb has to be removed then of course I'll take it off.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have, this is a great forum.

best,
DC

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
the carbs attach to the heads via rubber boots, and sit above the head, so I can't visualize how you could get the head off without removing the carbs first. If those boots haven't been changed in the last few years, then a new set of boots is a good idea anyway, they're not expensive. And new elbows/o-rings/coolant hoses under the carbs while the carbs are off.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
The carbs are an assembly that are easier to take off together than to separate. As already stated, get new isolators (boots), the old ones will likely be very hard.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Pulling the carbs isn't bad. Probably easier to just pull the whole rack as a piece than to figure out how to just pop the left ones.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Depending on what you're doing once the carbs are off, you may not need to disconnect any cables... just loosen the top clamps on the 'isolators', pop the carbs and swing them to the side. BTDT FWIW YMMV

John
via iPhone 6

OP
OP
D Coop
Thanks for the tip, it would be a help not having to disconnect and reconnect cables etc. I'll give it a try. I'm removing the head and installing another one, that's it. I appreciate your reply.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks for the tip, it would be a help not having to disconnect and reconnect cables etc. I'll give it a try. I'm removing the head and installing another one, that's it. I appreciate your reply.
as I recall you just have to disconnect the choke cable, which is very simple. The main throttle cables can remain attached, there's plenty of slack in those to allow you to sling them over to the right side of the bike and hang them from the mirror bracket with a piece of wire.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
IIRC, I just took the choke cable out of its slot in the rubber fuel filler cap surround. I set the carbs on a folded towel on the right side frame.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D Coop
as I recall you just have to disconnect the choke cable, which is very simple. The main throttle cables can remain attached, there's plenty of slack in those to allow you to sling them over to the right side of the bike and hang them from the mirror bracket with a piece of wire.
Thanks, I'll let you guys know how it works out.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Idle adjuster. Sorry, brain fart.

I don't remember having to disconnect any cable when I last popped the carbs. I've been wrong before. :)

Top Bottom