Speedometer, odometer dead

Bike
2007 ST1300
I am the second owner of my ST1300 and just replaced the battery. After the battery replacement my speedometer, odometers, and fuel computer no longer work. The bike was equipped with a Spedo-Healer by the previous owner and I may have bumped it when I was changing the battery. The speedo-healer has some small switches on the side and a button - I have no documentation on what these do or how to set them so I don't know if that is the problem or not.

Here is a photo of the back of the spedo-healer (I think) http://imgur.com/jPK5Aro

The front side just says "SH"

Is this a likely cause of this kind of problem? No other parts of the bike seem to be affected.

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
You could try going to their web site and see if you can find the manual there. Have you tried removing the speedohealer altogether?

OP
OP
Blind_Io
Bike
2007 ST1300
I did, but could not find any current model that looked like this unit. I have not removed it because I wasn't sure if it might cause other problems if I did.

Bike
2010 ST1300
The new speedohealers are plug and play. You simply unclip a connector in the harness under the right side fairing and now have male and female pieces in your hand. The speedohealer comes with two mating connectors, plug one end into the male and the other end into the female and you are off and running. Removing something like this is a no brainer and will not adversely affect anything.

If yours is hardwired (soldered or wirenuts or similar connectors) in place, see if you can contact the mfr.

Usually when components go bad, it is a loose ground. I don't know enough about the electrical system on the bike (yet) to know if there is a separate ground for the speed/odometer. I would think so. Check all connections for the old speedohealer - something might have been knocked loose.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
VSS should throw code 11.
One long one short blink on the Fi light.

Since it worked just before you changed the battery I'd start by checking connections in that area.
The speedo healer or it's connections are a likely culprit.

I didn't find anything other than the Ver4 speedohealer documentation on their web site.

Bike schematic LINK

Last edited:

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
My bet is on the speed sensor those are the exact symptoms its not an expensive part and fairly easy to replace should only take a few minutes I did mine last summer on my 03.

Bike
2004 ST1300
The speedo healer or it's connections are a likely culprit.
That was also my experience a few months ago. I thought it was the VSS. I followed the test procedures in the manual, thought it was bad, bought a new one, replaced the old one, problem continued.

Turned out to be the connection for either the Healtech Speedohealer or the Healtech Gear position indicator. My bike has both. I unplugged/replugged all the Healtech connections and it works again. Should have done that in the first place, but was being lazy and didn't want to take off everything required to get at the connectors.

The new VSS is about $75 with the o-ring, plus shipping and might not fix the problem. It doesn't cost anything but time to take off all the layers to check the Healtech connections (or even remove the Healtech from the VSS circuit, at least temporarily) before placing a $75+ parts order for the VSS.

If you didn't have a Speedohealer, I'd say go ahead and buy the VSS. Try the Speedohealer connections first.

Ken

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I obtained a Ver3 pdf shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you.
It doesn't have a picture but it might tell you how to program yours.

OP
OP
Blind_Io
Bike
2007 ST1300
Issue resolved! I emailed the maker of the speedo-healer with photographs of the unit. They got back to me right away and said that all the switches need to be in the lower position. I flipped the switch and everything started working again!

Thank you all who contributed your wisdom, I really appreciate the help. Hopefully this thread helps someone else with a Version 3 Speedo-Healer.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Issue resolved! I emailed the maker of the speedo-healer with photographs of the unit. They got back to me right away and said that all the switches need to be in the lower position. I flipped the switch and everything started working again!

Thank you all who contributed your wisdom, I really appreciate the help. Hopefully this thread helps someone else with a Version 3 Speedo-Healer.
Excellent news! Glad to hear it! :clap2:

Top Bottom