Geigerrig Hydration System

Bike
2010 ST1300
I spotted this item in an old thread here Geigerrig. Cabela's sells these things, too. Cabelas. This unit's claim to fame is a pressurized bladder and a bite valve so the water is sprayed into your mouth.

Is the only downside the cost?

Does anyone have any experience with one of these? Is the valve prone to leakage? If these are so great, why do the Iron Butt guys use a rubbermaid thermos mounted on the side of their bikes (obviously I cannot speak for all of them)?

Going off on a ride to the Adirondacks tomorrow. I'll check back for replies at the end of the week.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Not just cost but weight. An 80 oz camel bak will work great and on the edge of what will pull on you, which will make you stop more often to fill as well as relieve yourself,,that cycle is what you need in heat especially. When I bring one I typically strap to my duffel bags and use a longer hose. After a sip blow the water back into the main compartment so your next sip isn't warm, even happens with the insulated tubes.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
I have a three litre Geigerrig that I used to use while riding. I kept it in a Polar cooler on top of the bag I normally have on my rear seat. I liked the Geigerrig pressure system as it was only necessary to bite on the valve to start the flow of water. It was also useful to squirt water onto the small visor cleaning towel I kept in the front pocket of the ST1300. I did not experience any leaks with the Geigerrig. I still use the Geigerrig while hiking but have switched to using the hard round cooler bottle attached to the rear passenger peg.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I did my 50CC and subsequent ride back across the USA I found my Coleman 1 gallon DIY system adequate. I think I had about $20 in it with extra length of hose and the bite valve from a Camelbak I already had. Thanks Shuey and Mick for the ideas!

Besides price, one advantage to an insulated hard cooler is it can be easily half filled with hard-frozen ice (think 8 lb bag from the gas station freezer, not the barely frozen ice from a soft drink dispenser or hotel ice machine) with the large opening then topped off with water. Plastic bladders with a slit opening seem like they take two people or three hands to fill with ice. Filled with hard cube ice and topped off with water a gallon lasted me into the second day every time it was filled despite temps 95 to 105F. I put the rest of the ice in the front of my riding suit while still in the original bag. That was super cooling for about as long as an ST runs on a tank of gas and the melt water continually wicked into my UA heat gear for efficient evaporative cooling.

An advantage to a pressurized system is that it could be used to wet clothing while riding. That would be nice but would use up drinking water on an extreme IBA ride.

dmcleane

Dave Elliott
Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
Great system, but it was the worst tasting water ever, EVAR! I tried tablets, I tried rinsing repeatedly with mouthwash, I finally gave u and moved on to a camelbak. But I did like being able to squirt cold water on my neck while riding. Good luck.

v8-7

Site Supporter
KISS and CHEAP
My insulated Rubbermaid from Walmart keeps water cold for ~ 5 hours in 90 degree heat .

That is using typical hotel ice , filling it all the way up with ice, then pouring in tap water .

Free ice and water from Loves ( or it may have been Pilot ) gas stations or buy a soft drink at most gas station soda fountains , and refill with ice and water . Never had anyone complain even when mentioning to them I was doing that .

As Dave said, it is easy to fill with both ice and water .

I don't even use a bit valve, just ~ 4 feet of hardware vinyl tubing .

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
I used to use a CamelBak but that didn't work well with a passenger so I found a different solution. I found a 70oz CamelBak reservoir fits perfectly in a small tank bag (Joe Rocket Manta, in my case). If I load it with ice before taking off, it will stay cold for a tank of gas. So now on my trips, when I stop for gas, I also run in and buy (usually $0.29 or a bit more) a large cup of ice to reload the reservoir. It stays cold until my next stop. The tube can even reach the passenger if they want a drink.

Stump

Site Supporter
Bike
VFR1200X
STOC #
Just use whatever gets you to drink! sheesh.. don't over think it! I use a 1 liter bladder in the tank bag.. fill it up every gas stop.. easy peasy. Your body don't care.... just drink lots O'water!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just use whatever gets you to drink! sheesh.. don't over think it! I use a 1 liter bladder in the tank bag.. fill it up every gas stop.. easy peasy. Your body don't care.... just drink lots O'water!
Agree... 99% of the time on my ST1300 I'm just sipping out of a small H20 squeeze bottle stuck in the left side fairing pocket. I don't mind the water even warm.

But in the context of the original post if the gas stops are lined up every 200 to 300 miles and there are 10 of them in 2700 miles with just a few hour break after the 7th on you don't want to under think it either. :)

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
If I load it with ice before taking off, it will stay cold for a tank of gas. So now on my trips, when I stop for gas, I also run in and buy (usually $0.29 or a bit more) a large cup of ice to reload the reservoir. It stays cold until my next stop. The tube can even reach the passenger if they want a drink.
I do the same thing. Camelbak bladder in my tank bag and I can hand the tube to my passenger whenever I take a drink too.

I have found that if I am buying gas, I just walk in and ask the clerk if I can get some ice and water to refill my supply. Have not found one yet to say (or even imply) I need to pay for a cup of ice.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Thank you all. I generally stop every 200 miles or fewer and get a drink from bottled water strapped behind me or in my duffel bag, stretch my legs, and maybe gas up. But sometimes while riding I've been thirsty and thought what the Iron Butt guys had was a good idea. What will work for me best would be a bladder atop the top case or my duffel or a bottle w/ a hose in the fairing pocket or tank bag. I'll play with these. Look how much $$$ you guys have saved me - no expensive Geigerrig in my future.

Top Bottom