Helmets Helmet weights ... ?

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
I have a Nolan 104 with the N-Com option installed and am pretty darn happy with it. BUT, I have some neck issues and after a couple hours riding, I get such a level of throbbing pain that I fear the safety of the full helmet is lost. Most days lately I have been wearing my Bell half helmet because of this. I am more comfortable, but have the problem of bug strikes on the cheeks and just plain don't feel as safe. My feeling about it keeps bouncing back and forth between the physical safety, and the safety of being comfortable enough to focus on the task of riding attentively.

Are there any opinions on what would be a decent compromise for a light, yet appropriately safe helmet option? Or, does the community feel that a good half helmet (it is a DOT model) is "safe enough" given the circumstances? I know for d@*# sure that I'm significantly safer than 99% of those Harley riders I pass every day with a cool looking dew rag on their head.

And, yes, I am looking into getting the neck fixed and this should all be moot. As a doctor and surgeon myself, I know a little too much of what the procedure involves. So ... procrastination ...

Muchmore

Train killer
Bike
13 BMW K1600GTL
Just my opinion but a half helmet is not safe enough. If simple bug strikes are getting to your skin and eyes that's not good. Get the neck fixed then you can be safe(er) at your sport. Most manufacturers post their helmet weights online you can simply chose which one you might work better. I have a Shuberth and Shoei, the Shoei feels like I am wearing nothing at all it is so light. This is all just my opinion, yours may vary.

I have also had neck surgery after breaking 2 vertebra (C4-5-6-7-T1 fuse) and once bar risers were installed I had very little neck pain on long rides. It took years of PT but I am there now. For me it was more about riding position than helmet size/weight. Leaning forward with my head slightly tilted up would cause pain in C1-2 and in my shoulder blades.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Are there any opinions on what would be a decent compromise for a light, yet appropriately safe helmet option?
generally the more you spend on a helmet the lighter they are without compromising safety. You could look at the higher end models from Arai and Shoei and see if it would make any difference. Haven't looked at them lately so I can't give any figures on who's the lightest, but a quick web search should answer that question.

edit: here's a list of helmets from lightest to heaviest, the N104 comes in 183rd. But it looks like realistically you're only going to go from 1750g to 1450-1550g, not sure if 200-300g would make a big enough difference for you.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-weights.htm

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Have a look at the Arai CT-Z helmet. it's a 3/4 with built in pivoting face shield, ventilation system and sun visor. Can't say how the weight compares, but it must be less than an Arai full face.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I have a Nolan 104 with the N-Com option installed and am pretty darn happy with it. BUT, I have some neck issues and after a couple hours riding, I get such a level of throbbing pain that I fear the safety of the full helmet is lost. Most days lately I have been wearing my Bell half helmet because of this. I am more comfortable, but have the problem of bug strikes on the cheeks and just plain don't feel as safe. My feeling about it keeps bouncing back and forth between the physical safety, and the safety of being comfortable enough to focus on the task of riding attentively.

Are there any opinions on what would be a decent compromise for a light, yet appropriately safe helmet option? Or, does the community feel that a good half helmet (it is a DOT model) is "safe enough" given the circumstances? I know for d@*# sure that I'm significantly safer than 99% of those Harley riders I pass every day with a cool looking dew rag on their head.

And, yes, I am looking into getting the neck fixed and this should all be moot. As a doctor and surgeon myself, I know a little too much of what the procedure involves. So ... procrastination ...
I feel for you. One of my friends had her neck fixed with an anterior approach and the resulting x-rays looked brutal with all the hardware that was inserted. She had to wear a foam c-collar for three months. The good news is she had much greater ROM now and it barely left a scar. I think she had it done at Campbell's Clinic / Methodist Central in Memphis.

I am a long term sport rider and sport tourer but have ventured into dual sport and (gasp) cruiser riding in the last three years. Generally, I always wear a full face Arai Profile when on my Monster, and a N104 on my KLR and ST1300.
When cruising around town on my Harley, I do wear a half helmet, but I know better, having been a RN for 35 years, a big chunk of that in ICU and ER. On the road, the N104 is on my head. A bug or a piece of gravel on your face at 70 mph hurts.
The lightest, quietest, most aerodynamic, and most comfortable helmet that I own by far is the Arai. It has been replaced in the Arai lineup by the Signet Q, for long oval heads like mine. The Nolan is much heavier, but it is much more convenient for glasses wearers like me, and great for touring. So I guess my advice to you is to spend the $ and try a full face Arai that fits your head shape. These people can hook you up with the right model for you, size, interior, and shape:
http://servicepavilion.com/

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
+1 on the risers. They helped me a lot.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Do some neck strengthening exercises...
reminds me of a story from long ago. while sitting around the apartment pool many years ago, one of the girls in the complex that rode made the comment that her helmet was too heavy and it made her neck sore. One of the guys sitting around the pool didn't miss a beat and replied back with "damn Mary Kay, with all the head you give I'd have thought your neck would be pretty strong".

OP
OP
cybervet

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
"Interesting" replies. Mostly what I expected too. I agree that more is better, especially with protective gear. I do intend to get the neck repaired as soon as I am comfortable with the surgeon and his plan. I am mostly trying to brainstorm the best option in the mean time.

As far as neck strengthening and PT, been doing that for a few years now. Steroid injections too. I'm afraid it's time ... a chance to cut is a chance to cure.

I do have risers on the handlebars, Heli gen 2. I agree that posture might also be a big factor. I have considered getting the new Heli multi adjustable bars, but darn they are pricey!!

Thanx for all feedback.

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
I have the same problem . I was told soon i would need neck surgery when it gets worse to widen the nerve passage.. Seems I have a twisted neck putting pressure on my disk and nerves. (scoliosis).

So I did the following;

1. Special pillow to take stress off my neck while sleeping.
2. Neck exercise and stretching
3. Changed my bars from the gen 3 to the horizon bars.
4. Teeter hangup to help stretch out the back and neck. (inversion table)
5. light helmet arai.

Each helped a little but all together this helped to keep me riding.I have to be careful , a small move the wrong way will leave me sore for awhile.

OP
OP
cybervet

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
Thanx to everyone for their insight. After talking and browsing at WiSTOC, I settled on the Kabuto Ibuki modular. My Bell 3/4 helmet weighs in at 3 lb 5.76 oz. The Kabuto is 3 lb 9.99 oz. This is my measurement, not published weights. Minimal increase of just over 4 oz seems to be working out OK. The helmet is comfortable and in my opinion it is quieter than my Nolan N104. I also believe the advertised feature of reduced wind buffeting contributes to better comfort. Overall, the Kabuto is an extremely well made helmet. Check the review video at Revzilla for far better details than I can give. Anthony is super excited about this helmet, and I agree.

I also grabbed a Sena 20S. See my new thread on that little beauty if you're interested.

Top Bottom