BT023 tyres on an st1300 - weird wear

Bike
ST1300A2
Hi gang,

A while back whilst hundreds of miles from home for work, I got a puncture on the front of the ST and got recovered to the nearest garage that a tyre in stock.

They didn't have the BT020s I normally have, only the BT023 (I didn't know this until I had arrived).

Tyre fitted, all has been well - grippy and sticky no real issues.

I have recently noticed a slow speed wobble when pulling away, as if the front tyre is flat - the bars wobble in my hands. speed up and it goes away. I was convinced the wheel was buckled or the tyre had become ovalled. but what I've noticed (and this is hard to describe) is that the front tyre has worn in a very very odd way.

if I stand in front of the bike look square on at the tyre, there is staggered wear on the left then the right patterned tread, so the wheel has effectively become knobbly. this is what is causing the low speed wobble.

has anyone ever heard of this weird wear or what might be causing it?

I'm having a new tyre fitted tomorrow (back to a BT020) but don't want this to re-occur if its not down the tyre being a non-recommended for the bike type...

make sense? I think I've explained that pretty poorly.

thanks in advance for any help.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
That just sounds like the tire is wore out, the BT023 is softer then the BT020 tires. Put a new tire on and go ride.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Sounds like cupping to me. Try using balancing beads. They stopped my cupping completely.

Top Bottom