Saw an ST1100 at the side of the road

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
.....................Looking forlorn, covered in garish stickers, and obviously needing some TLC.......and sporting a "for sale" sign.

Just like my wife can't go to Petsmart on "adoption day" without "rescuing" a dog, I felt the need to rescue this bike. So $1,800 dollars later, I'm now the proud owner of a black '94 1100 with just under 103k miles on it, to go with my Wineberry Red '01.

This one is much more of a project. Runs fine, but slightly rough, so after I get the ridiculous decals off it, that'll be the second thing to address.

I've got a list of jobs to do, but most are cosmetic. Just the slightly rough running, and the worn tire are affecting functionality.

I spent time last night ordering parts for the repairs/upgrades, including a new front tire for it. The Bridgestone there is at the wear bars, so I've ordered a Michelin (to go with the nearly new Michelin on the rear), and that should take care of the woolly front-end handling.

There is a Corbin seat on it. But since this has a tear in it, and I didn't find it as comfortable as the stock one, I've ordered a used stock seat from flea-bay.
While there I got some European spec decals on the way too.

The previous owner was selling as it was too heavy for him, and he'd tipped it, taking out the RH mirror.
So a replacement mirror and surround are on order.
The LH fairing box cover is cracked, and has a rusted out mic mount on it, so I've got one of them on order, as well as a replacement for the small rectangular fairing cover missing from the RH fairing.

Not sure if the slight roughness is due to less than immaculately clean carbs, or perhaps an ignition misfire, so I've got coils and HT cables on order, and a carb cleaning on the "to-do" list.

It has a GIVI box on it, but it's red, so a bit of paint is in order to get color-matched, and while I'm at that, there's some paint flaking on the airbox shroud, so I'll do that too. (Eventually, I'll get the whole bike repainted, but that may be a year or two down the road). The lights on the box aren't operative, so I'll get that done too.

While in an ordering mood, I ordered the same sound system and LED headlamp upgrade kit I put on the '01. There is some type of throttle-lock on it already, but I'll likely replace that with a Brakeaway, as that's what I have on the '01, and our two Burgman 650's.
It has a 12v socket already, so no need to add that, and I have a spare GPS holding tank-bib (same as on the '01), so no need to order that.

I still have to get the fluids for a complete service/tune-up/fluid change, to get me onto a maintenance schedule, and need to see yet how much meat is left on the brakes, but they work just fine.

So, so far I'm into it about $3K into it, with some work, and some learning to do, and very happy.

I'll post some pics when it stops raining here so it can be seen properly, and may even remember to take some when doing the lights for a "How-to" on the LED upgrade, if anyone else wants to use the same kit.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Re: Saw an ST1100 at the side of the road.................................

Congratulations on your find. Sounds like a rewarding project
Is it due for a timing belt or did the PO do that already?
Since it's a 94, check to make sure the connectors to the VRR and main starter relay are clean and tight.
have fun

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #

Sounds like the bike found a good home! Good luck with the rescue project!

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

Well good luck with the repairs on the ST, take lots of pictures and keep us posted on the progress.

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #

. . . Just like my wife can't go to Petsmart on "adoption day" without "rescuing" a dog, I felt the need to rescue this bike. . . .
Great write-up, Fatjock. Keep that puppy running.

Styles

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A

Way to save that bike! Glad you found it and not someone who didn't love it like you....

T

OP
OP
Fatjock

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #

Congratulations on your find. Sounds like a rewarding project
Is it due for a timing belt or did the PO do that already?
Since it's a 94, check to make sure the connectors to the VRR and main starter relay are clean and tight.
have fun
I have a belt on order, and it's on the to-do list.

OP
OP
Fatjock

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #

Okay, a quick update.....had some time to go through the paperwork, and discovered it's not a '94, but a '91.....I've got to be honest, it doesn't make a difference to me. It's still an early ST1100, still has the same mileage, and I'm still happy.

Here's a pic of how she was when I picked her up....

20150725_102203.jpg

And here's one after an hour removing decals.........

20150725_104222.jpg

I'll post more as I get more done.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #

You were right about those decals! Hideous... and reeeeee-dic-u-lous!

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #

Congrats on the purchase! Looks like you even got a Corbin seat with the deal.

You were right about those decals! Hideous... and reeeeee-dic-u-lous!
Someone took the time to "personalize" the bike, to THEIR taste, not yours. Different strokes for different folks!

OP
OP
Fatjock

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #

Congrats on the purchase! Looks like you even got a Corbin seat with the deal.

Someone took the time to "personalize" the bike, to THEIR taste, not yours. Different strokes for different folks!
As you say, Different strokes. I don't find the Corbin comfortable, so have a used standard seat on the way.

Once the new seat is proven, the Corbin will be up for grabs, for the cost of shipping......it will need to be recovered, there is a tear.
But if anyone wants it, it's theirs.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #

Good on you for rescueing that 91.
I also rescued a 94 abs. With 93k on it. Put plenty of time and money into it and it runs like a Swiss watch now.
I would like the Corbin and can trade a stock seat or a Travelcade that was built for a shorter rider.

OP
OP
Fatjock

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #

Good on you for rescueing that 91.
I also rescued a 94 abs. With 93k on it. Put plenty of time and money into it and it runs like a Swiss watch now.
I would like the Corbin and can trade a stock seat or a Travelcade that was built for a shorter rider.
I have a stock seat on the way, so hopefully it'll be in good condition, and that'll leave you stock seat just in case.
PM me with an e-mail address, and I'll send you some pics of the Corbin so you can decide for sure. If you want it, all I'll need is shipping costs.

OP
OP
Fatjock

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #

So today I had a go at the loose side-stand, removed the stand, and put a caliper to the clevis. Measured about 9.8mm at bottom, 10.6mm at top. Frame hole slightly elongated, but not massively so, putting the shoulder bolt back in gave about 5 degrees of movement.

So I took a dead-blow persuading tool, and sought to bring the clevis back into line. Got to measure 10.1 at top, so refitted to see if I noticed a difference. There was a whole lot less flexing in the position. To try to simulate the effect of the bike weight on it, I gave it a good pull away from the frame........and it immediately went back to being just as loose as before.
So now I'm debating the best solution. Do I drill out the frame hole and fit a bushing (probably stainless), then make up a setting block for the center of the clevis, heat the stand, beat into place against the setting block & quench it?
Or bushing and a new stand?
Or drill out the stand and frame hole, and make a new bolt with larger shoulder?
Pros and cons for each method. Need to put some thought to it.

After this I got the tupperware off, in preparation for the work ahead.....good news here is that the rear shock looks almost new, and there's a K&N air-filter fitted........then rain stopped play (too hot and steamy).

So that'll probably be me until next weekend, but looking forward to it....but may get some work done on the stand.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #

I would not be in a big hurry to bring the side stand back in, you will find that some rear tires have a lower profile which will stand the bike up more vertical.

OP
OP
Fatjock

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #

New front tire has arrived...........
Shark Audio system has arrived...........
Kensun LED lights have arrived...........
E-Bay Seat and Side-stand scheduled to arrive today..........
Mirror/Mirror-surround/Coils/Leads/Timing Belt/fairing plastics scheduled to arrive Friday............

It's half past week, getting excited for the weekend.

OP
OP
Fatjock

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #

do you have a link to the one you use and how do you like it?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FLW6Y6G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

This is what I have on My '01, and what I'm fitting to the '91.

I also have smaller (600W claimed) two speaker systems on my two 650 Burgmans. (Let me know if you want a link to them)

I got the larger systems, because while the two speaker one is good at moderate speeds, or with the screen all the way up, If it's a hot day and I have the screen down, by the time I'm at highway speeds, it can get lost in the wind noise.

Not so with the four speaker one. It can be heard over just about anything.......but is susceptible to distortion at higher output levels (I don't think the speakers are quite up to the output of the amp, and the same is true of the smaller units).
Where I particularly notice it is when there is a difference in recording levels. I sometimes notice when a track changes, it suddenly gets a lot louder, or quieter, and if jumps up, can distort.
But having said that, I can normally find a volume level where I can listen properly, and still hear everything clearly.
I haven't ever run it at full output volume......tried once, gave up when my ears started bleeding....but have run it near pain inducing levels.
My wife reports one time of being able to hear me coming a block away, but this was during testing when I first fitted, so I did have higher than normal.

I don't really use the radio on it, but my wife does.....bit of a pain not being able to see which station you are on, but otherwise okay.
I run MP3's, and have done so from a player (aux input), an SD card, and a USB stick. All with no issues.

The remote buttons are small, and can be awkward with gloves on, but I've usually got the right one by the third attempt. The remote on the larger unit is illuminated, the smaller ones not.

Reliability wise, I've run into a couple of minor issues. On the smaller units on the 650's, one had a remote unit that wasn't properly sealed, so began behaving strangely during the first major storm I rode through.......Once it dried out I closed the case fully, no more issues. I also had a connection issue on the larger unit on my ST when the in-line fuse holder got kinked. Straightened up, no more issue.
Other than that, I've had no problems.

Installation is fairly simple, more or less plug & play, but you depending upon where you choose to mount the amp (I originally had it in the LH fairing pocket, now in the tail unit), you may need RCA extension cables for one set of speakers (For front ones if you mount in the tail.) And possibly an extension for the handlebar remote.
I fitted an auxilliary fuse box, switched via relay, in the way described on this forum, and took power from one of those fuses. (there's also an inline fuse in the amp power wiring).
I mounted the front speakers using the supplied brackets, to the two screws on the upper cowling inside the screen. The rear ones I initially had the rears either side of the backrest, but when I replace the backrest with a larger box, I mounted them either side of the box (Perhaps not the prettiest way, but quick and simple). Here the do appear in my mirrors but are not sufficiently intrusive as to make me move them.
I'll post pics of the installation sometime this weekend.

Do I think they are perfect? No, I'd like to have a more informative controller, bigger buttons, and less tending to distort at upper output levels.
It's nowhere near as good as a factory, speed linked, unit, but let me put it this way. It's good enough that I bought the same unit for my new bike.

Bike
1997 Honda ST1100

As you say, Different strokes. I don't find the Corbin comfortable, so have a used standard seat on the way.

Once the new seat is proven, the Corbin will be up for grabs, for the cost of shipping......it will need to be recovered, there is a tear.
But if anyone wants it, it's theirs.
If Slydynbye doesn't take that Corbin, I will. Let me know if it's gone.

Top Bottom