Waving at Groups of riders

Bike
2010 ST1300
I usually wave to other riders unless I'm in the middle of a turn or clutching. But, what do you do when confronted with a group of more than a few riders?

I feel stupid waving to every one, and if I wave to the leader and stop, and get a wave from the following riders then I feel dumb..... Can't win.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Hold my left hand out until we've all passed each other as long as can hold my hand out safely...

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
This waving thing started back in the late 1960's - when you met the nicest people on a Honda - and I wish it would end. You never know who is going to respond if you instigate the wave and if you don't wave until you see a hand movement from the other rider, it is often too late to respond.

Certainly many Harley riders feel themselves above waving to any one other than others of the HOG faithful and I never lift a finger to wave to one of those guys, unless they do first, but there are so many Harley wannabee riders out there on other branded cruisers, you never can tell what to expect from that cruiser approaching you. And what is with that two fingers down to the ground thing? Is that an insult wave from them, or are they just so tired from having their arms up in the air that they want to give one of them a rest and get some blood flow back in their hand?

Crotch rocket riders all wave, so I know what to expect from them, unless they are in the middle of a power wheelie, or leaned over so far that their elbows are almost on the ground and you can't see the wave anyway. I've noticed a lot of the new breed of adventure bike riders seem a little uppity too, not often willing to acknowledge that some people like motorcycles where your feet can actually touch the ground. No sense of "adventure" in that guy - he doesn't deserve a wave.

Now we have these wussies that buy those butt ugly Can Am Spyders and still think they are motorcyclists, so there they are, waving to beat the band, hoping we will still recognize them as one of us. Sorry Bub, I ain't waving at a geek on one of those things!

So, it's time to end this farce. I don't know that guy coming the other way from a hill of beans anyway and will likely never see him again in my lifetime. Not like he's some long lost friend, so is he really gonna be upset if I don't wave?

Last edited:
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
I don't know if I would ever get as excited as Mac about returning a wave, but I do wave at just about everyone on a bike! Yeah, my automatic wave button on my wing works just fine. Sometimes the wave is not returned, that's okay... there are times I cannot safely return a wave or didn't see the other rider in time (mostly when they are on the opposite side of the "big road").
I feel it has more to do with the "common bond" between motorcycle riders. Yes there are some who may be snooty... but I won't let that ruin my day!

Bike
2010 Honda ST13

many Harley riders feel themselves above waving to any one other than others of the HOG faithful

That used to be the case around here too, but it no longer seems to be true with a few exceptions. And I wave trikes of all varieties. I'll even wave to mopeds if they wave first.

But I do understand what you're saying. Sometimes it does seem a bit silly, but what the heck, we're all out there enjoying the ride.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
I'm with Bush!!!
Some of the "American cruiser" riders always have a scowl on their face I don't want to offend them so I do nothing but scowl back at them.
Through my full-face tinted shield!

Bike
2001 st1100
Haha, I've heard that Jeep, 'Vette and others wave to each other too. I get so rattled when I accidentally wave at an e-bike!Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I usually wave because I like to do it. I'm on a bike and having fun. Scooters, cruisers, sport bikes doesn't matter. For the big group waves I'm like those already posted... wave once a long time or a few times as able.

When I'm in a place where there are many riders my wave reflex recedes as I'd be constantly waving but when the numbers of bikes decrease to normal levels I'm back to waving as usual. Think like Daytona Bike Week or Tail of the Dragon on a weekend.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Hold my left hand out until we've all passed each other as long as can hold my hand out safely...
This is what I do too. I also wave at any type of trike and also mopeds if they wave or acknowledge me. As stated, it's a "common bond" type of thing for me. If I don't get a wave back no biggie. If I'm in the middle of some clutch use or other moving times when I don't take my had off the handlebars I do give a nod.

I have waved at bikes when driving my Jeep and the wife just looks at me like I'm a nut case... which she might be right about. :)

As of right now I have not waved at other Jeep owners, If I start getting waves in the Jeep, I would return the same.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Wow Bush tell use how you really feel about the wave and others.

I am myself a little tired of the whole wave thing. I dates back many years and then it was about camaraderie. Now it seems that no one know why but the do it. I must say though sometimes I do and other times not. It is dependent on what I am doing and what side of the bed I got up on. :)

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Didn't know the 'wave' was so complicated. :confused:

I wave most of the time and most of the time they wave back, independent of bike style.

If I miss one, I don't worry about it. If they don't wave back, I don't worry about it, independent of bike style.

I don't really think it's that important, one way or another. Heck, I never really thought about much until this thread.

My .02

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
+1 for Paulcb

Agree with Bush a little though. It's about being nice and friendly, why can't we all just Ride Baby Ride!!!!!!

T

Top Bottom