Waving at Groups of riders

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hold my left hand out until we've all passed each other as long as can hold my hand out safely...
+1, pretty much what I do. But if there's 50 of them, I'll wave at the first few and the last few and just be glad I'm going the other direction. lol

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm on my bike so much that when I have to drive the cages, I find myself wanting to wave! :rofl1:

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
I wave at all riders/drivers2,3,4 wheels maybe its a midwest thing? If I don't get a return wave, no sweat of my back

Bike
1999 ST1100
I agree with BUSH.. however until this trend ends.. I still plan to waive at any rider on a bike that looks close to an ST... not to mention a good looking (female) rider/passenger :D ....

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm with Mark also... hold the left hand down until all have past, as is possible or safe. I don't care if others wave back. That two fingers down thing is an honor salute. Like the other biker saying to you to "keep the shiny side up" or "keep the rubber side down" kind of thing. I don't recall when that one started for sure, or why (doesn't matter now), but it usually means keep two wheels on the road. HD riders who are full of themselves use one finger down meaning they are THE ONE true bike. Yeah, right. I think it's funny when a HD rider intentionally looks to the right to avoid eye contact when I wave at them. I feel it makes them look the fool and shows the world what kind of self absorbed id10t they really are. I also don't care much for the high wave with all fingers up. Reminds me too much of really old man GW riders who are usually in Hawaiian shirts, khaki shorts and flip flops as they ride. It's usually those riders, or the younger riders, relatively new to riding (last 10-12 years or so) who don't seem to "get" the two fingers down thing.

Bike
2012 Road Glide Ultr
STOC #
This is one of those buttons on this site, like oil brands and tires threads.
Someone said it, Vettes, Boxters, Jeep Wranglers, etc wave too. I guess it means, hey, I see you have wonderful taste in vehicles too... When it comes to riding, I'll wave at anyone when possible. I especially love to wave at little kids on the sidewalk riding their bikes or rubber necking out of their strollers; kids love bikes and they don't give a crap if its a crotch rocket or a Harley, there is something we should all feel: bikes mean freedom, or the closest thing to making you feel like it. (See out on Video: On any given Sunday 1 and 2 or why we ride...)
Seems like the only folks I see not waving or waving back in these parts are the ones who are busy shifting or "looking cool" or 1%ers. You gotta love the Spyder riders, they almost jump out of their seat and come and give you a hug... I find the big Scooter riders are confused about if they should wave or not, usually wait to see if you wave first... I'm on a Hog these days and I am sure some of you foks with several bikes see the difference when you go from the ST or Wing to the Hog, as to who waves at you or not. Heck I even see the difference whether I am using the full face or half helmet.
But I'll say this: I don't give a hoot if you wave back or not or if I see you wave, I just hope you love riding as much as I do and that you know enough to ride your own ride and enjoy it.

Have a great day!!
JD:hat1:

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Like Grizzley, I enjoy waving to kids all the time. Waving at bikes has gotten real old.

I don't know you, and I don't feel any connection to someone merely because they are sitting on a motorcycle.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Like Grizzley, I enjoy waving to kids all the time. Waving at bikes has gotten real old.

I don't know you, and I don't feel any connection to someone merely because they are sitting on a motorcycle.
I remember sitting outside a MacDonalds with you and we had a conversation with two Canadians, one from Ontario the other BC, we probably would never had a conversation with them if they arrived by car. I think there is connection of shared experience between riders but I agree when confronted by group after group of bikes waving becomes a pain and I quit.

Gerhard

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Sounds to me like some of you ride on roads with WAY too many bikes on them. Try more solitary roads and you won't see as many bikers to wave at.........

Just my 2 cents........

Keep the rubber side down, and a grin on your Face!

T

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Yep Gerhard, great conversation! What I tried to say was that the connection does not happen just because you're riding past somebody on a bike, who could be some evil doing criminal as far as we know. The connection/comraderie happens/or not, when the conversation happens.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
During our recent trip to Skeeter's in PA, all kinds of cruiser riders initiated the wave, some didn't. Kinda surprised me so many did, more than usual. But, our equivalent of the MSF course, they do encourage you to wave as some kind of connection with others on 2 wheels..

Bike
2002 ST1100A
STOC #
I wave to all bikes. Seems the percentages of waves from Harley's and BMW's riders is a lot lower. Whatever....it's free and "ain't hurtin' nobody". If they wave, great...if not so be it.

Bike
1997 ST1100
I agree..the wave thing gets a little old, if waved at I return it by raising five fingers and keeping my palm on the grip :biker:

JCB

Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
Did you ever find yourself waving to another bike after a long motorcycle trip and your in your cage or truck?:D

Top Bottom