Helmets I hate helmets!

Bike
2005 ST 1300
I hate helmets! But I never ride without one. Problem is finding one that will fit. I have a long head which means I have to order an XXL to fit a head that measures L. So the front and the back are tight but the sides are loose enough to smuggle a couple bags of Cheetos puffs into the cinema. Does anyone have any suggestions for a better/ proper fit?

hugs/Lonnie

saddletramp8511

R.I.P. - 2019/01/01
Rest In Peace
Bike
2014 Gold Wing
Yes ...You need to do some research...WebBikeWorld is a good place to start...Their reviews describe a helmets fitting characteristics in detail...Some helmets work better on round heads and some on long narrow heads....Good luck on your search for a comfortable helmet because only fools ride without one....Bill

Raj_Zin

AKA Steve
Bike
FJR1300A
STOC #
You need a helmet made for a 'long oval' shaped head. The Arai Signet Q is designed to fit that shape. It is comparatively pricey but I'm willing to cough up the extra dough to alleviate the 'spike through the forehead' pain that 'normally' shaped helmets cause after a very short time of use.

-STeve

Bike
2006 ST1300
I have a long narrow head as well..and I normally wear a Scorpion EXO 700. Very reasonable, and is actually a copy of the Arai. The last two Arais I bought, one for me, and one for wife had major build flaws and shoddy workmanship. For over 400$ each, that's not acceptable. I called Arai, and their response was less than stellar. We both ended up getting different helmets before the Arais really "came of age". I guess my point is, shop around for helmets..they all fit differently.

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I'm a long oval myself, my Arai RXQ fits like a glove and I also have a Nolan N91 modular that I use occasionally - fits very well. I know what you mean about pressure points, I cannot wear Shoei. I tried a Qwest......just didn't feel right.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Some manufacturers offer different size padding for the inside of the helmet as well. I had to order thinner pads for my last HJC helmet to make it comfortable. Alternately, there are a few on line helmet retailers who offer very generous return policies so you can buy one and try it out. Then return if necessary.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Maybe this info will assist with finding the right helmet.
+1 that's a great start hunting down the right shape.

.02 a cheap helmet that fits offers more protection than an expensive helmet that doesn't. Hopefully you find one that's snug all the way around and not tight anywhere that causes the spike in the head feeling LOL.

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
"Slasher" hit the nail on the head....
I Rep Vega helmets here in Florida.....the helmets that we have introduced in the last few years all have removable (and washable) linings.
One of my customers really wanted to fit one of their customers with our carbon fiber street helmet, and the same issues were encountered: to achieve a fore ad aft fit, there was excessive room in the ears. We solved the problem by using the XXL F 117 C that fit fore and aft, and using the ear flaps from a Large liner....I have since talked to the customer and he has a helmet that fits, and is the lightest available....a win-win!

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
For me, I've always found the SHOEI RF series lids, and now my new Quest, have always had a good OVALshape, and fit with PLENTY of room in the forehead. Try out a Quest.

Bike
95' ST1100
NOTICE: The following comments are not meant to start the age old debate on helmet styles and the safety measurements of said styles. That has been done many, many times. It is just realying information of what I purchased for insight to the OP.

I went through the helmet wringer recently and found that Biltwell was the helmet for me. I went with the Bonanza and then added a flip shield ($150 all in). I have always been a 3/4 guy and have never been able to jump on the full face wagon. With that said, the Gringo S felt really nice as well. I just couldnt pull the trigger on it due to not knowing if my fondness was exagerated based on the fact of getting a new lid. I have no complaints on mine.

A lot of the other helmets I had tried on were for more rounded domes. They gave too much presure in the front corner points of my forehead. The Bell 500 didnt squeeze the corners, but felt like it was cutting into the top of my neck just under the bottom of the skull. I cannot comment on more expensive lids as they were just out of my price range (what I could afford to spend, not what i was willing to spend).

Good luck.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I just replaced my crash helmet , that saved my head B.T.W. , with an identical model with the latest new J&M headset . My point however is the HJC helmet is XXXXXL ( 5XL ). ( yeah , yeah , I know : " Look at the head on that ! " )

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Africa Twin DCT
There was a study published in the UK about a year ago on various makes and their correlating real-world safety rating vs price. One of the premium brands seriously under-performed on the SHARP testing in the UK, it was bested or matched by several sub-$100(US) helmets.
The science behind helmet design is fairly mature in 2015. How much labor and materials are in any helmet, anyway? $25-$40 is being generous, based on my background in manufacturing.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
For me, I've always found the SHOEI RF series lids, and now my new Quest, have always had a good OVALshape, and fit with PLENTY of room in the forehead. Try out a Quest.
ditto for my oval head--- $ 300 Shoei Qwest is awesome.

Shoei Qwest kills my forehead.....only helmet so far that fits my long oval is the Bell Vortex or RS1.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I don't know if you have a big M/C gear store near by, but for me it's nice to go to Iron Pony, in Columbus, OH. It's a gear Mecca! Like walking through the doors with a bright beam of light over your shoulder and hearing angles kinda place! It's great because they stock a bagillion different helmets, from names I've never hear of to Shoei, Arai and Schuberth. You can try them on till you find a fit you like, then wear it around the store for a while (while you slobber on other great gear and bikes!) to make sure there are no hot spots. WebBikeWorld has good reviews and info too.

Top Bottom