Hammock camping

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Okay, I'm really interested in giving hammock camping a go. I don't have any trees in my yard or none close enough that can be used so I'm going to build a hammock stand for use at home to set up and try out gear and for relaxing and for car camping with the family as some places either don't have the trees or you can't hang from them... at least that's the plan. But doing it with on the ST might be a little more problematic.

So, who's doing it or has done it and what has been your experience? Tips? Tricks?

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I've done it and will be doing it again in a couple of weeks. I find provincial or state parks have campsites with trees. It's the private ones that are located in fields that give you an issue.
The hammock I'm using could be converted to a tent as it has a screen mesh covering the top of the hammock and I could string the fly from the handlebars of the ST to a picnic table and be protected.
I guess it's all about planning.... ;)

Bike
'06 ST1300A
  1. Bite the bullet and get an underquilt. It is soooo much simpler and warmer than any other solution for cold butt syndrome.
  2. Make sure you've practiced setting up the hammock a few times before you go camping. Getting into a hammock is simple, getting out, not quite as simple.
  3. Get The Ultimate Hang. Great book, great website.
  4. Eagles Nest Outfitters (ENO) ATLAS straps are the bomb. Dead simple to use. Takes up a hair more space than other suspension, but as easy as eating pie.
  5. Longer hammock = better.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Bring along either a tree or some extra 1" heavy duty tubular webbing to reach a tree that is just a little farther than the rope your hammock came with. A couple of carabiners are nice too (locking type).

OP
OP
Rekoob
Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I've done it and will be doing it again in a couple of weeks. I find provincial or state parks have campsites with trees. It's the private ones that are located in fields that give you an issue.
The hammock I'm using could be converted to a tent as it has a screen mesh covering the top of the hammock and I could string the fly from the handlebars of the ST to a picnic table and be protected.
I guess it's all about planning.... ;)
Yeah, I hear ya. I've been looking at different types and once I get all my thoughts straight I'll take the plunge.
Still learning which makes the wheels turn of course. I have expectations of what I want now just have to figure out how to get there. I'll take my time and figure it all out.

OP
OP
Rekoob
Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
  1. Bite the bullet and get an underquilt. It is soooo much simpler and warmer than any other solution for cold butt syndrome.
  2. Make sure you've practiced setting up the hammock a few times before you go camping. Getting into a hammock is simple, getting out, not quite as simple.
  3. Get The Ultimate Hang. Great book, great website.
  4. Eagles Nest Outfitters (ENO) ATLAS straps are the bomb. Dead simple to use. Takes up a hair more space than other suspension, but as easy as eating pie.
  5. Longer hammock = better.
I've been reading stuff on The Ulimate Hang web site and Hammock Forum... Just like this forum lots of experience people willing to help out and an overwhelming amount of information.

My daughter has and ENO DN and the Atlas straps, I know what you mean.

I agree that longer is better, although my hammock is really a single (it's a little wider than a normal single) I much prefer my daughters double... I think hers might even be a bit longer then mine but I'm not sure. I plan on upgrading in any case.

I just made a hammock stand to be able to set things up and try them out. Just made it yesterday late afternoon so getting used to that also.

OP
OP
Rekoob
Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Bring along either a tree or some extra 1" heavy duty tubular webbing to reach a tree that is just a little farther than the rope your hammock came with. A couple of carabiners are nice too (locking type).
Thanks for the tip. I will do just that. Also going to figure out what I will do in the event a tree isn't available or can't be used.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
This is the one I'm using. It comes with everything in one nice package. I bring along 12/3 electrical wire 3' long. I strip the outer casing which gives me three wires to put in the batten pockets of the hammock to create the dome effect of the screen mesh. (check out the video, they use twigs), I coil the wire for packing. The suspension straps that come with the hammock work really well and haven't stretched under my weight.
I made snakes for the tarp as well as the hammock as well as the tarp, makes packing up easier.
much success with your choices and the joys of hammock camping

Bike
2007 ST1300
I've also decided to switch from sleeping on the ground like an animal to sleeping in a hammock, tests at home show that at worst it is still better than sleeping on an inflatable mat and at best it is really cosy & comfy.
One problem though is that some locations do not have trees for me to connect a hammock to, what should I do about that?

Solution: http://www.handyhammock.co.uk/

OK, now I'm over 100 UK pounds poorer, but I can set up my hammock on any open ground. This packs down small enough to go in my dry bag and sets up securely to hold a person of 1.5 x my weight.
Setting up a tarp over top is a bit tricky, I'll be needing to buy some adjustable tarp poles and I'd also like a better tarp with doors each end.

In the mean time:

Okay, it seems that my Redverz Expedition II with the bedroom unclipped & removed is so large it can fit right over the hammock & stand. As a bonus the Redverz is way easier to pack into its bag when minus the bedroom. I'll take the footprint that was under the bedroom to use as a ground cloth under my hammock so I can put gear on it instead of the damp ground.

I'm working for only a couple of days this week and then going to a motorcycle rally for Friday, Saturday & Sunday. This rally is on farm land and there are no trees, so my setup will be put to use there. I've slept in the hammock inside the Redverz tent out in the back yard and it was way more comfortable than on an inflatable mat, I've also bought a full length down underquilt and have my good down sleeping bag to use as an overquilt - should be no problem being warm enough.

That hammock stand can also be used at one end with a tree at the other, great when there is only one tree or trees too far apart.
I'm a bit concerned about the total amount of gear if I go somewhere on the DR650, but on the ST1300 I've got the carrying capacity to take a heap of stuff so it should be no problem going with what I have.
Once I get a tarp and some tarp poles I should be able to cut the bulk down a bit compared to using the Redverz, so I'm hoping that will work for either bike.
My soft saddlebags on the DR650 are a bit smaller than the ST1300 panniers and even though I use the same dry bag (strapped to the rear seat on the ST1300 or on to the rear rack on the DR650) I do have the very roomy 55 litre topbox on the ST which the DR doesn't have. I'd say that the DR ends up with 65-70 litres less carrying capacity for gear.

When using the ST1300 I should be able to take more stuff or bulkier stuff, no problem taking my Kermit chair for instance.
But if I know there will be trees available to hang in then I can save a heap of room, no poles or tent needed.
Without poles the hammock, fly, underquilt, sleeping bag, tree straps and a few other things will all fit in one pannier.

Currently it is winter, Tuesday it will be spring and then on to summer - I'll be testing out gear and going camping a bunch of times over the next few months.
I'm looking forward to getting into the hammock camping thing, probably will end up spending many hundreds on more gear like better tarp, expensive hammock, etc.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
As a newly-wed more than 50 years ago, my bride and I used to camp nearly every weekend during late Spring to early Fall. We had a VW Bug and a 9 X 9 umbrella tent, but also had an Army surplus jungle hammock of WWII vintage. The old ropes were unable to support 2 in the hammock, as we found out.

A modern version would be just the ticket for motorcycle camping, since it packed up very compactly.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I'm curious as to the purpose / function of the little three-pronged thingies halfway along each of the poles. I see lightweight lines around them and also running from them to the ends of the poles. What're they for?

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'm curious as to the purpose / function of the little three-pronged thingies halfway along each of the poles. I see lightweight lines around them and also running from them to the ends of the poles. What're they for?
The thingy's are akin to spreaders on the masts of sailboats and the lines to the shrouds on said boats. Look at the masts on sailboats, they have spreaders - arms sticking out from the mast, and shrouds that drop down from the top, go around the tip of the spreader, and then down to the gunn'l or base of the mast. These do exactly the same thing as the hammock's poles - prevent it from bending.

With most of the force down the axis of the pole (the pole is in compression), any tendency to bend will be opposed by the lines, since at least one (or more) will have to stretch to allow the pole to bend. The lines are made of a fiber that elongates very little and is (presumably) fairly strong. They are obviously NOT nylon - which is very stretchy.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Yeah, they like to get off the ground.:22yikes:
Fortunately few snakes carry poles (for vaulting) or ladders. You are probably safe from snakes in the hammock, but I'd watch out for bears, mountain lions, and rhinos. Not to mention cape buffalo and tigers.

Bike
2007 ST1300
The thingy's are akin to spreaders on the masts of sailboats and the lines to the shrouds on said boats. Look at the masts on sailboats, they have spreaders - arms sticking out from the mast, and shrouds that drop down from the top, go around the tip of the spreader, and then down to the gunn'l or base of the mast. These do exactly the same thing as the hammock's poles - prevent it from bending.

With most of the force down the axis of the pole (the pole is in compression), any tendency to bend will be opposed by the lines, since at least one (or more) will have to stretch to allow the pole to bend. The lines are made of a fiber that elongates very little and is (presumably) fairly strong. They are obviously NOT nylon - which is very stretchy.
Well, that's a better & clearer explanation than I was going to come up with.
I'd add that a thicker & stronger one piece pole would not need them, but then it would be much heavier and be longer to transport. These are 2 piece very lightweight poles which is handy for taking on the motorcycle as they fit in my drybag that I strap to my bikes rear seat.
My inflatable mat for sleeping on the ground is heavier than this hammock stand with hammock, this makes it a reasonable alternative even if you have to hike with it.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #

Thanks- that is as clear and straightforward an explanation as I could have hoped for.

Bike
2010 ST1300
^^^
I was joking with jonjonboo. (only)
If you have any real life experiences with rhinos, cape buffalo, and tigers maybe you could educate me.
My avatar speaks for me.
I was kidding too. I have no experience with these animals - other than having read all of Peter Capstick's books. For those of you who are not familiar with the name, he was one of the 'great white hunters' - a hunter in Africa (mid century 1900's) and guide for those on safari. He is a very entertaining writer.

Since you live in the southwest, all you have to worry about are rattlers and camels. The latter, I believe, carry a lot of fleas..... and have been known to spit on those they do not like.

OP
OP
Rekoob
Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
One problem though is that some locations do not have trees for me to connect a hammock to, what should I do about that?

Solution: http://www.handyhammock.co.uk/
Yes, I have seen these and would get a set if I had the money. I built a turtledog (you would have to look at Hammock Forums if you don't know about this) conduit stand and might try modifying the legs and making them screw together to be able to make it packable. Right now I don't have any insulation, I have sleeping bags but no UQ so I won't be sleeping in the hammock over night until I can start getting gear.

I ordered some tablecloths to experiment with as far as length and putting a hammock together. Right now the hammock I have isn't long enough or wide enough but would work in a pinch. the DIY side and figuring out what I need and what I can make to save some money is where I'm at right now. A bonus is that Kay (wife) has been taking a liking to the hammock and even had me put up some eyebolts in the living room so she (we) can lounge. :)

That's a great setup you have going on there, really like the use of the "tarp". I saw on the site for the stand that it comes with a hammock and ridgeline... it would be low but would it be possible to use that ridgeline for a small tarp, just large enough to give you some weather protection?

When you switch to tarp poles will it just be two poles for each end of the tarp?

Thanks for posting the picks. looks great.

OP
OP
Rekoob
Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
A modern version would be just the ticket for motorcycle camping, since it packed up very compactly.
I have seen them and I am planning on taking a trip to the surplus store when I get a chance. Thanks for the tip.

Top Bottom