Hankook V12 didn't last long now have Michelin Premeir AS

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I installed a Hankook car tire for the iron butt rally. I did a test ride on it of about 350 miles, then an in-state saddle sore just over 1000 miles. Then it's off to ABQ for the Iron Butt Rally (850 miles each way to ABQ). Ran about 9200 miles in the rally. So that's a total of about 12K miles. The tire is at the wear bars. I used to get 12k out of a Michelin PR4GT! So much for THIS car tire getting any better mileage. I have now installed a Michelin Premier All Season tire. Took it out for a shake down ride of about 125 miles today.

The Michelin has much stiffer sidewalls, doesn't give the quishy feeling in turns and when when twisting the throttle. I believe the mpg reads higher now by about 2 mpg. Also the tread width is just over 6 inches so it fits very nicely in the swingarm. The only downside I've noticed is that with the stiffer sidewall it's hard to mount. Even the first side went on hard. I'll give a wear update later on, but it has to be lots better than the Hankook!

Bob

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
It's all in the wrist..LOL.. I like the GYTT for mileage. My first kook went around 18k. You realy have to watch the rain when you get to the wear bars.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
That is also one of the tires I was looking at. Keep us posted on your findings and likes and dislikes.

OP
OP
jodog
Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Update on the new Michelin

I took the bike to the Big sky Rally, about 1350 miles to and from and another 1650 on the rally, so about 4300 miles. The tire is a vast improvement over the Hankook. It behaves much more like a mc tire, easily leaning into curves, well behaved in wet and dry great traction. Can't relly detect any wear yet, alto I didn't measure the tread depth. It will easily outlast the Hankook. This is a serious candidate for a consistent rear tire on the ST.

Bob

So this tire has only a 6" tread width. That is nearly an inch less than the Yokohama Avid Envigor I am running. That is a big difference so on width alone the Michelin should feel more like a bike tire and possibly be less influenced by road irregularities.

KEB

Top Bottom