Front Caliper not releasing

Bike
ST1300 2008
Cleaned the pistons, were not really that bad.. New pads but right front caliper not releasing like it should..
What can cause this.. ST has ABS.. Last time I rode it when I used the front brake the lever and brakes pulsated like the ABS was working...
Now the brake really doesn't release like it should..
Any ideas??

Byron

STOC #
If bleeding the brakes doesn't resolve the problem then it sounds like something is corroded to the point of not allowing fluid to return to the reservoir.

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
Abs should not activate unless under extreme hard braking. You may have to re-bleed the system including the smc and the proportioning valve under the right front plastics. Check front and rear calipers for sticking, check the smc that it is operating correctly.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
If it started acting up after the pad change I'd pull them and make sure the spring clip in the front and anti rattle clip at the stop are fully seated and not bent.

If it's not that can you tell if it's the center or the 2 outer pistons that are keeping pressure on.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Are we assuming the pin and pads are free?

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Did you use spray brake cleaner?
Pull calipers and clean and lubricate the sliding dowels with silicone grease.
I would say a full flush and bleed may help.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300 2008
Update! Every thing moves freely! But the linked brakes only work partly! Step on the rear brake and the rear and front brake works!
Pull the front brake lever and only the front brake works, rear tire spins freely!
When I bleed the system only fluid comes out the PCV when I step on rear brake.. Nothing ever comes out when I pull the front!!
ANy ides??

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
You need to be moving for the link to work. When the front is applied, it tips the Secondary master forward, thus sending fluid to the rear. At least that is how I understand it. Someone please chime in if I am wrong.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300 2008
Checked again, it is only the right front that is sticking. Thinking about taking lines and fittings off to look for stoppage..

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Update! Every thing moves freely! But the linked brakes only work partly! Step on the rear brake and the rear and front brake works!
Pull the front brake lever and only the front brake works, rear tire spins freely!
When I bleed the system only fluid comes out the PCV when I step on rear brake.. Nothing ever comes out when I pull the front!!
ANy ides??
What did you do to free it up?

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300 2008
I think I found it!!!!
Not the brakes at all. I changed the front tire Before first trip. Did not install the tire as recommended be the manual!
I reset the front forks as in the manual and the front wheel turns as it should. Will take it for a test ride tomorrow and know for sure..

There are a few things not already mentioned that may cause this. Please excuse if the suggestions are ridiculously obvious, but we all miss the obvious at some point !

You have new pads ?

Have you fitted heat pads like on the back brake ? They shouldn't have heat pads on the front.
Is the rectangular tab end of the pad seated properly in the clip in the calipers
The pad spring in the roof of the calliper is incorrectly seated
Pre 2008(ish) it is possible to put the pad spring in the wrong way round.
Post 2008(ish) it is possible to get a piston interfering with the pad spring. This happens if the pad spring is not firmly held in place, and each leg of the spring is pressed at different times. The spring rocks and dislodges at one end, putting it below one of the pistons.
Pad springs have a little tab which helps hold the inner pad in position. This can get bent and hold the pad in the wrong position.
The silver pad clip in the calliper (which seats the tab) does not have a ridge in it on the front caliper. The rear clip does. Have you mixed up the rear and front pad clips ?
Have you got some grit between the rear of the pad and the silver backing plate.
Have you removed the bit of rag that dropped onto the calliper just before you set off for a ride.
(Do not ask me why I have asked that last one. I was young, I was foolish).

Have you bought Honda pads ? If not, are the new pads too thick ?
You fitted new pads so you pushed the pistons back.
Are either reservoirs now too full to release the pressure ? The centre piston is operated by the rear brake. Check both systems.
Any warning lights to indicate the ABS isn't working ? Might be the modulators not cycling / fuse blown / perhaps related to the point above. (I have known this on the 1100, not on the 1300 - but worth a mention).

Hope you get it sorted.
Hi John, what you mention here could be my problem, also when I brake I get a pulsing feeling, I know it's not the ABS as it happens under normal to slow braking.
I have spoken to my local Honda dealer over the phone and he said he would check to see if the discs are warped, now that sounds like it could end up being expensive. I don't trust dealers I always feel I'm being ripped off, especially if it is something simple and not the discs.
Mike

Top Bottom