Shopping for a new battery for my '04 ST1300

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
There was a generator dealer or such in Evansville, In that would take the new batteries out of his Honda generators for some reason or another and guys were getting a really good deal on OEM Honda batteries. Don't know if that is still an option or not but someone here will know.

Bike
07 ST1300
I got a great deal off ebay . The vendor was called batterymom . The battery was made by Yuasa but was sold under Motorcross brand . $95 delivered !!
I had bad luck with Shoria

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
2006 ST1300
Although I have heard loads of folks complain about Scorpion batteries, mine is on it's 4th year, and going strong (knock wood). I do keep it on a smart charger (when I think of it), but it has served me well. I took about a year off from riding, and kept it on a timer with the smart charger, and no problems. For 78 bux shipped, it works for me. I may consider switching to a Odyssey next time I need a battery....my bro has one in his BMW Airhead for almost 10 years now.

Bike
2010 ST1300
There was a generator dealer or such in Evansville, In that would take the new batteries out of his Honda generators for some reason or another and guys were getting a really good deal on OEM Honda batteries. Don't know if that is still an option or not but someone here will know.
The situation was new generators that did not sell immediately and the batteries were too old to be considered new, so the dealer swapped them out for fresh batteries. As said by fnmag, they work great (mine is on its second year). I too keep my batteries on a smart charger (I prefer Accumate over Battery Tender - but I have both).

Batteries are a lot like oil, oil filters, tires, etc. Absent a decent statistical sampling, what you will usually get is anecdotal evidence of one brand exhibiting problems. I drove two Ford Econolines that required abnormal maintenance (and were very well maintained) over their lifetimes - both bought new by me. I will never buy another because of this experience but I know there are tens of thousands of delighted Ford Econoline drivers out there. I was just unlucky, I guess.

My point here is that you probably will not go wrong with any name brand battery that meets Honda's specifications. The flies in the ointment are how individual samples have been treated by the supply chain (storage, handling, shipping, etc.) as some practices can harm a new battery. I prefer to buy from local dealers who have been in business for a long time and who value my patronage and loyalty. I avoid buying on flebay where a LOT of the sellers (but again, not all) offer no warranty and could care less who you are and about repeat business. Is it worth trading good customer service for a few bucks? Your decision. Ymmv.

Top Bottom