Clock stays on when the key is off??

Hi Guys,

I just noticed this the evening. The clock is illuminated when the bike is turned off. I can also adjust the dimmer setting when the bike is off and no key.
Anyone have any Idea what could cause this? I tried to upload a pic of it but will not work.
Thanks for any advice.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Maybe somebody will post a link but IIRC there was a similar post made a few months back. You might try searching the forums for something similar to your subject line and see if it gets a helpful result.

IMS there was a resolution but I just don't know what it was.

pdfruth

P.D.Fruth
First, most obvious cause - the ignition switch is in the ACC position (can't remember if the key can be removed when in the ACC position).

If no, then do you have a quartet harness plugged into the "option" connector (near the left fairing pocket)? And, do you have any battery powered farkles plugged into the quartet harness's connector plugs? If so, disconnect said farkles? Is the clock still illuminated?

If no, then are there any other electrical system mods? Please provide details (if any).

Last edited:

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
Hi Guys,

I just noticed this the evening. The clock is illuminated when the bike is turned off. I can also adjust the dimmer setting when the bike is off and no key.
Anyone have any Idea what could cause this? I tried to upload a pic of it but will not work.
Thanks for any advice.
If you look real close. is your headlights real dim?
Do you know where the fuses are at? pull the 2 headlight fuses. one in each fuse block. did clock go out?
Look real close. is dash back lights real dim? can you barely see the digital numbers? Did they go out when you pulled headlight fuses?

report back.

OP
OP
bmann
First, most obvious cause - the ignition switch is in the ACC position (can't remember if the key can be removed when in the ACC position).

If no, then do you have a quartet harness plugged into the "option" connector (near the left fairing pocket)? And, do you have any battery powered farkles plugged into the quartet harness's connector plugs? If so, disconnect said farkles? Is the clock still illuminated?

If no, then are there any other electrical system mods? Please provide details (if any).
All I have added this week was I added an Shad 48 top case with the additional break light and turn signals/brake light/running light. I wired them according to the instructions. taping into the break and turn signals under the passenger seat.

I went out tonight and what ever is causing it has drained my battery. I did look in my owners manual and it did state that when you change the clock it will stay illuminated for 10 days so I thought that might be it. I turned the ignition on and the clock reset to 1:00.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Do any other lights stay dimly lit like the running lights in the turn signals?
This could be a failing ground wire. The connector that tucks in the left mid cowl is a suspect.

Note the key cannot be removed in the ACC position on the 1300.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bmann
So, I just figured it out!!! I went out to disconnect the battery so that I could charge it back up and I have a Corbin heated seat I unplugged the seat and the light went out. I then noticed that the switch for the heated seat was in the on position. I plugged the seat back in and turned the switch off and the light goes out.

The seat must have gotten turned on when I was working on it. I have only had the bike a year and have never seen that. So now I know if the light is on then my seat switch is left on but the seat was not warm. I will leave the seat unplugged for the summer months from now on. I will take a look at how the seat is wired to make sure it is correct.

Thanks to everyone how replied with possibilities.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Wire it to a switched source. Key off, seat off.
+1. Why would the hot seat light up the clock? Seems a check of the wiring would be in order. Sure it's handy to have the clock tell you the seat is on when the IGN is off but something still doesn't seem correct.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
+1. Why would the hot seat light up the clock? Seems a check of the wiring would be in order. Sure it's handy to have the clock tell you the seat is on when the IGN is off but something still doesn't seem correct.
That is a good question as it should not be wired in a way to have the clock light up.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
+1. Why would the hot seat light up the clock?
Sounds to me like it was incorrectly wired and some part of it was allowing the dash lighting to find ground. Best thing to do is identify how it was wired in for posterity, yank it out and re-install correctly from scratch.

Kevin's comment about installing it switched is spot on.

--Mark

OP
OP
bmann
Found the problem, When the battery was put back in the bike this spring, The ground lead to the seat was put on the positive of the battery causing the power feed if the seat switch got turned on. Changed it over and everything is fine.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Glad you figured it out.
If it's not color coded maybe tape or tywrap the lead to the ground cable so it can't get mixed up.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
So the seat is direct wired to the battery? If so, way too easy to leave the seat on and drain the battery.

OP
OP
bmann
So the seat is direct wired to the battery? If so, way too easy to leave the seat on and drain the battery.
No, the power for the seat runs from the fuse box and is switched power but the ground is run to the battery.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
No, the power for the seat runs from the fuse box and is switched power
Good, too easy for me to forget when distracted for one second at a stop. I personally have a hard time remembering to turn my Spot off at the end of a ride.

Good for you in figuring out the problem.

Top Bottom