Iron Butt attempt and FAIL

OP
OP
troystr68

troystr68

Troyster
yeah this was my first, but not last attempt,
I learned A LOT on long distance riding and the most important thing was LISTEN TO MY BODY!!!
getting home safe was the victory, and I just wanted to make the list :)
But I knew it was not a good idea considering all the elements, so I went into town had a bunch of beers and a real nice steak dinner
came back to the hotel took a LONG hot bath in the Jacuzzi and got some sleep.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I wonder what the percentage is completing the first attempt at a SS1000. I barely completed my first because I planned it with about 750 miles of two lane roads and at 16 hours I realized I might not finish in time or be able to stay awake long enough if I did not scrap the route and get going. I diverted to the interstate which was about 50 miles south of me at decision time and made it but only because I had that opportunity of it being close enough and going the right direction.

Last edited:

ST4Sal

Gone Riding!!!
Bike
02 ST1100
STOC #
Kevin,
Congrats on attempting.. It's an educational experience if you learn from it. In heat, removing your coat leads to dehydration. LD Comfort web site has very good diagrams on how to reamin zipped up and what to open vent wise. The ice bag works better when you can re-close the jacket and let the cool air cushion your body. A lot of it doesn't seem natural but ahs saved many a rider

Now back to your ride... You proved (as if it were ever in doubt) that you are very capable of riding the distance. Congratulations on a great ride. The scenery had to be good?

Hope this finds yo uwell,

Sal

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
This was not a fail. This was a practice run. It's clear you can ride in the allotted time from your GPS, now to just do it in 24 or less consecutive hours. ;) I say good job...

Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
Great first attempt! As others have said - knowing when to say when is the biggest thing. I've also been eyeing the Lake Michigan Saddlesore but haven't freed up the time to give it a go yet...

OP
OP
troystr68

troystr68

Troyster
the scenery was AMAZING
at one point all the way in the UP the air was blowing off the lake 20 degrees cooler then the ambient temperature
FELT AMAZING. what I did wrong was set my GPS to curvy roads and took a VERY long time to get to Mackinaw
12 hours in Fact for the first 530 miles then 7 hours for the remaining 470ish and I had many more stops on the second day
but again I listened to my body and played it safe, I kept getting tunnel vision due to lack of sleep and well to many beers with Dinner. LOL
the first day was all country riding the second day was flat out highways. was a great ride no doubt
Ill get it next time!!!!!!!!

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Wow. On the east side of the lake it has been in the low 70s to low 80's since I got here Saturday. Would have been GREAT circum-lake riding weather but for the violent storm (100 mph winds Sunday night across the entire upper half of the mitten peninsula and lots lightning plus some hail).Enjoying the heck out of riding my human-powered (in line 2?) bike along quiet scenic roads...Seems a waste to zoom past all this loveliness "just" for an Iron Butt award, no matter how interesting the challenge. And anyone who DOES manage it has my respect whether it qualifies or not.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
The problem is, once you get on "The list" you just want to get on it again, and again... LD riding is a sickness. For most people who earn their IBA Plate Backer with a SS1000, its just the tip of the iceburg. Then its a BB1500 or the soul crushing BBG1500... or Coast to coast, Border to Border ETC... then you start thinking, I bet I can do that SS1000 in 17 hours next time, then 15, then... It truly is a sickness.

I just remembered something... While its not heavily published, and won't make you a member of the IBA, there is a pin available for 500 miles in 12 hours. It's called the ButtBuilder 500... heres the thread

[url]https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?143259-Interested-in-your-first-Long-Distance-Challenge-Check-this-out!&highlight=

[/URL]

Last edited:

DAS

STOC #
I find a long high mileage day is a breeze at the end of a 2 week trip. Just got back from a leisurely 3800 miles in 2 weeks, all most all 2 lane backroads, some really long low mileage days. Last day I did Kelly WY to Newberg OR, 820 miles mostly on I84 in 13 hours total time, and almost no weariness or saddle discomfort. A few years ago I did Fort Collins to Newberg same way.

Bike
2004 ST1300/XR650L
STOC #
the scenery was AMAZING
at one point all the way in the UP the air was blowing off the lake 20 degrees cooler then the ambient temperature
FELT AMAZING.
Sounds like US 2 just west of the bridge, that is a beautiful stretch of road! Congrats on your 1st attempt.

Dennis

Top Bottom