HawksHead TPMS Review

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
After a 'sudden' front tire deflate on the way back from the Moonshine Lunch Run, I decided it was time to look into a TPMS system for my three ST1100s. I looked at the Doran system and the Tireguard system. Then I found the Hawkshead system out of Rosedale, British Columbia. I definitely wanted a 'cap' system not an 'inside the tire' system for many reasons. The Doran looked nice, but I didn't like the revenue stream generated by non-replaceable batteries in the caps. I also thought the monitor was a bit large which I did not care for. The Tireguard looked nice, but the non-waterproof head was a real problem for me as I often get caught out in the rain and I don't do 'baggies'. ;-) One rider told me he left his in his pocket during a rain storm, water pooled in the pocket and the unit was toast. Further investigation led me to the HawksHead MOTO TRACK CRUISER 2, with a IP69K waterproof rating (look it up - pretty impressive and far beyond what it will experience), the head was small enough but readable and the caps (according to them) are Micro sensors that weigh a mere 0.02 ounces with replaceable battery installed and only measure 0.5 inches by 0.75 inches. It also takes readings pretty quickly, has the alarm stuff, and turns itself off after 15 minutes of non-movement to conserve battery life. It charges via a USB port so it is not wired into the bike. I got mine just in time to use it on my 3,000+ mile trip up to LobsterSToc which would cover all sorts of roads - both smooth and not so smooth. ;-) I installed it in the motel parking lot at the end of the first day and charged the head from my netbook overnight (it says it takes 4 hours). I just stuck it in a window pocket that I had for my route notes so I could see how it worked. The unit was a WAD - working as designed - and I must say I am very impressed with it. It kept me updated in what my tire pressures were and never missed a beat. The head battery life per charge is yet to be determined as I am still running on the first charge after a week of use. You can adjust the upper and lower pressure limits per each tire and also the maximum temperature setting. Tire pressure normally shows, but you can push the CODE button to see the temperature. It was pretty amazing to see the pressure difference between a 'cold' set of tires and a 'hot' set of tires. It was easy to read the screen and it also has an automatic backlight feature when it senses a low light level. It has a flashing red light if a tire gets close to either the upper or lower limit which I saw 'working' because I had my upper pressure set too low. It also has an audible alarm but I fortunately did not have to test it on the trip. The unit does everything I expected from a Motorcycle TPMS so I went ahead and purchased units for my two other ST1100s. I've got to sort out how I mount the head unit as it comes with a handle bar clamp but I still have the handlebar cover on my ST1100s. I will update this topic as I get more 'miles' on the units. Below are pictures of the head unit and the caps.

http://www.tpms.ca/MOTORCYCLE.html

Attachments

Last edited:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Re: HawkHead TPMS Review

Great report Phil,

How much were they?? $

Thanks ToddC

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #

Good write-up Phil. I also have a HawksHead but the earlier version 1 for motorcycles... unfortunately version 2 wasn't out yet when purchased earlier this year. Version 1 is not rechargeable so I have to replace the single AAA battery in the monitor a couple times a year. I can't imagine riding without a TPMS now... knowing my tire pressures real time is very comforting.

Edit: I did have a sensor battery go bad after just a few months. It didn't just normally discharge, it was down to 0.1V from a nominal 3.0V. Plus, I didn't get a sensor battery warning on the monitor either, which I should have. So, I think it just cratered quickly... was working one night, didn't the next morning. The other battery seems just fine. Those sensor batteries (CR1632) are a little hard to find so might want to keep a few spares handy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #

Todd - The price was just south of $200 - including shipping. That appears to be about what the Doran and Tireguard cost. Delivery took about 1 week.

Paul - I wonder if the Gen 2 caps take the same battery. I'll have to look at the owner's manual when I get home.

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #

Paul - I wonder if the Gen 2 caps take the same battery. I'll have to look at the owner's manual when I get home.
Good question... the sensors look the same but best to verify. Odd, they have the Gen 1 manual online but not the Gen 2.

Bike
2007 ST1300

Phil- thanks for the review! I purchased the same system about a week ago for my ST1300, and although I've only used it on one short ride so far, I'd have to agree with your comments. It was interesting to see the rear tire pressure increase from 42 lbs. cold to 50 lbs. within about half an hour, and that was not high speed riding.

I also purchased the T-valves that HawksHead sells and will have them installed tomorrow when I get new tires mounted. TV1.jpg
Using these I can mount the sensor on the straight vertical section and use the angled section to adjust air pressure without having to remove the sensor. They seem a little on the heavy side but hopefully that won't be noticeable after they balance the wheels with the new tires mounted.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #

I bought the Gen1 set and T valves too. Will install before ON-STOC and put my $.02 later.

Dex

Bike
ST1300A
Nice report UP. I wanted to have a TPMS that was internal to the wheel so fitted the Mobiletron set. The tire sensors/transmitters are mounted on a steel band that runs internally inside the valley of the wheel rim. Transmitter batteries are non-replaceable and non-rechargeable, so new ones will be required in due course. Mobiletron say they should last three years. Mine have lasted one year and 10,000 miles so far. Let's see.
The Receiver/Monitor unit is bike-powered so no battery to worry about. Picture of the receiver here:
Tyre Pressure Monitor Receiver 20150116_102952.jpg

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Phil -

Have you checked the accuracy of the pressure readings against a known accurate guage?

Ray
When I first installed it, I checked my Ver1 HawksHead against two gauges I have, one digital and one analog. The TPMS and both gauges all read the same... 41, 41, 41 PSI.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Phil -
Have you checked the accuracy of the pressure readings against a known accurate gauge?
Ray
Ray - Sort of - I checked the tires before I left home. When I put the caps on I lost a little bit in the installation but the readings were real close to what I had read earlier. I am satisfied with their level of accuracy. BTW, I use an ACCUGAGE gauge at home.

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
Pat - I'll take a look at your set-up at OnSTOC. I haven't done anything to upgrade my ride this year at all and seems like it might be an easy and worthwhile addition.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Giz - If you don't change out the stems (you do need metal valve stems though) it takes about 5 minutes depending on how easy it is for you to get to your tire stems... :D I'm now sorting out how I want to mount the 'head' since I don't like the 'handlebar' option it comes with. I'm thinking a piece of aluminum bent and stuck to the top of my new 5" Chinavasion GPS cradle with industrial Velcro to hold the head in place. That way when I look at my GPS I'll be looking at the TPMS monitor in the same 'look'.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Nice report UP. I wanted to have a TPMS that was internal to the wheel so fitted the Mobiletron set. The tire sensors/transmitters are mounted on a steel band that runs internally inside the valley of the wheel rim. Transmitter batteries are non-replaceable and non-rechargeable, so new ones will be required in due course. Mobiletron say they should last three years. Mine have lasted one year and 10,000 miles so far. Let's see.
The Receiver/Monitor unit is bike-powered so no battery to worry about. Picture of the receiver here:
Dex - I decided against the 'non replaceable' battery option since I am looking at three separate systems - one for each ST1100. I also saw good reviews of the 'cap systems' and they seem to work. It looks like it would be a royal pain in the anatomy for a battery to go out in the sensors right after you just did a tire change with the internal sensors. ;-)

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

Wow that unit is huge!

Bike
2014 FJR 1300 ES
Uncle Phil......the caps look identical to the senders of my Garmin 390LM TPS set.....takes the same CR1225 battery too. Must be a generic transmitter unit. Haven't had any difficulties from the them yet.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Uncle Phil......the caps look identical to the senders of my Garmin 390LM TPS set.....takes the same CR1225 battery too. Must be a generic transmitter unit. Haven't had any difficulties from the them yet.
Thanks - That's good news. You got to figure most of this stuff comes from China and the same factory. ;-)

Top Bottom