Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
For those with an ST1300, there is a blank space on the instrument panel that perfectly fits the head unit. I used 3m Dual Lock to fasten it into that space. It's nice and visible without blocking any of the instrumentation.

Image00001.jpg
That's pretty slick placement - you can check all your 'gauges' at one glance!

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
I don't see that anyone has mentioned reaching out to HawksHead to see if they would extend a group buy discount to our forum members - maybe I just missed it. If not, do you guys think that's a possibility worth exploring?
I was thinking the same thing. Hmmmm. Really need one of these as had two flats in the past 2 years and was fortunate both times to recognize what was going on.

Okay - I just created a new thread over in the "Discounts/Group Buys" forum, soliciting interest from our membership. The thread is titled "HawksHead TPMS - Group Buy Interest?"

If we get to a threshold of 10 packages, I'll reach out to cut a deal with the company on our behalf.

Here's wishing us luck!

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Just received my Hawkshead in the mail the other day... Looks like a nice piece of kit! Does anyone know what size the hole is in the back of the display? Id like to put a ramball back there but I have to order one and I don't want to assume its a 1/4-20 thanks!

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
FYI - I just spoke to someone at the company and I was informed they do have Canadian pricing for those of us living north of the border, but you have to call for it. Currently the Cruiser 2 is $220 CAD (+ applicable taxes) and shipping is $19. The t-valves are $11.95 each and there is no extra charge for shipping when ordered with the Cruiser 2. Based on the current exchange rate this is a savings.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Just received my Hawkshead in the mail the other day... Looks like a nice piece of kit! Does anyone know what size the hole is in the back of the display? Id like to put a ramball back there but I have to order one and I don't want to assume its a 1/4-20 thanks!
The rear hole in the display is in fact 1/4-20. I ordered a few different ram ball mounts and I found that the RAP-B-366U fits it the best and even looks as though it could've came with the tpms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Very good... also, RAM stuff takes up a lot of room sometimes...... 'spoze one could put a 1/4-20 bolt thru something and screw the HH on, or use a camera mount as they are 1/4-20 as well.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
The screws that hold Harley Davidson seats to the fender are 1/4-20 as well. I have a nice knurled one that I use to take the shake out of my T-box. Looks like this...

image.jpg

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
What does everyone set their alarms at? I run 32 psi in the front and 41 in the rear, the factory presets went into alarm as soon as the rear got warmed up since they are set at 44psi for the high. What's an acceptable high pressure? I've never thought about too many pounds being bad... just too few.

Bruski

R.I.P. 2020/10/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300A
What is a good initial TPMS TEMPERATURE setting. A new HawksHead system on my ST1300. I've set the pressures at 55/29 psi.

Bruski

R.I.P. 2020/10/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300A
Bruce - Just run it watching the temps is the best way I know. I'd set the upper really high, run it, then move it down as you deem prudent.
Thanks, that's a good approach. My Orange system quit so long ago I've forgotten what the temps ran.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The system saved my bacon at OHSToc. Saturday morning I got up and the rear tire pressure had dropped over night. My previous 'plug' was leaking. So I replugged it and it still was leaking a little bit. I figured I'd head for the Holler since I could watch it in route with the TPMS and stop and inflate as necessary. About two hundred miles out, the pressure started dropping about a pound per mile so I headed for the nearest exit. Double plugged it and it passed the 'spit test'. I made it home on that one (another 200 miles), but I would have never done it if I hadn't had a TPMS to keep me from destroying the tire from underinflation!

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
What is a good initial TPMS TEMPERATURE setting. A new HawksHead system on my ST1300. I've set the pressures at 55/29 psi.
Jeez, now we have to worry about temps? What are we supposed to do if the tire is "too hot"? What is too hot anyway? As long as the pressure is okay, checking the temp may be interesting, but the actual temperature doesn't seem like it really matters. Before I had the TPMS, I never even considered temps.

Dex

Bike
ST1300A
On the autobahns in Germany in the summer running around 110mph I was getting 55c temperature reading (I have the Mobiletron system) for the rear tyre and 51c for the front. Tyre pressures were almost the same too. The tyres seemed to be fine so I would guess 55c is a sensible upper-range temperature figure. I would suggest 29psi for a Pan is too low a level for a low-pressure alarm. Personally I would set that to 38psi as the bike handling is very sensitive to too-low pressures.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I had to send my unit back to Hawks head for warranty work. The back light on my unit would come on even if the unit was powered off. This lead to a shorter battery life before needing a recharge. The battery life on the Head unit is long enough that this was more of a annoyance than a safety issue. After a few emails with hawks head where I described what the head unit was doing and a picture catching it in the act, they issued me an RMA# and sent me some forms to print out and include in the box with the unit when I sent it back. They didn't however issue me a shipping label, that was kind of a bummer since it was warranty work but it didn't cost that much to ship it back to Canada. After a week I was notified by email that they were able to recreate the problem and I'd be receiving a new unit. So... all in all, a good experience, just wish they covered the shipping on the unit especially since it was found defective.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I have found that my back light sometime stays on when I power it off. Another push on the "off" button turns it off, Doesn't always happen, though.

Top Bottom