tire wear

My front and rear tiew on my 91 1100 get "lumpy" I talked with a guy I met on a ride in upstaet NY this weekend and he has saame issue. His mechanic, (Canada) told him its the nature of the beast.
Is this true? Do all st1100 tire get lumpy?? Uneven tread wear.
Is there a way to prevent it?

Bike
2010 ST1300
My front and rear tiew on my 91 1100 get "lumpy" I talked with a guy I met on a ride in upstaet NY this weekend and he has saame issue. His mechanic, (Canada) told him its the nature of the beast.
Is this true? Do all st1100 tire get lumpy?? Uneven tread wear.
Is there a way to prevent it?
If you are talking about 'cupping', that is what some tires do, or it can be caused by a bad shock, improper pressure, etc. My last front tire showed some cupping, my new Pirelli Angel GT, with about 4k miles on it shows none (yet). But my bike is a newer 1300.

There are a lot of threads on this, do a search of this site (upper right corner, type in Tire cupping, hit search button) for more info.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Tire pressure can have some effect on cupping if it is too low.... but some tires cup more than others. I'd recommend bumping the tire pressures up 2 psi. Can't comment on the 1100 as I don't know the recommended pressures or what 1100 owners find works best. I'll guess you should go 40 front/42 rear and your tires will last a bit longer due to less heat build-up.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I normally run 40 front 42 rear. On my bike angel gt tires remain round and smooth with no cupping or flat spots right down to the steel cords. Most cupping is caused from dual compounds in the tires.

Bike
2012 Honda ST1300A
Hey,
Glad I found this. I was on a ride on my 2012 to NY State last week and a guy who liked my ST noticed my front tire. It is the stock Bridgestone Battlax with 12,000km's. Before every ride I check the air pressure and run 42lbs front and back. For some reason I am getting bubbling or lumpy only on the left side of the tire. This to me is a manufacturing defect as it is not even wear. Right side looks perfect. Based on the wear indicators, I have lots of tire left but now have to replace the tire due to the unusual wear.
Would like some comments from someone at Bridgestone as this is not good.

Bike
ST1300
Conversion says your mileage is equal to 7,456 miles. Have you been to the Honda shop to ask them about it? Where did you buy your bike from? Maybe go back there if local.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Hey,
Glad I found this. I was on a ride on my 2012 to NY State last week and a guy who liked my ST noticed my front tire. It is the stock Bridgestone Battlax with 12,000km's. Before every ride I check the air pressure and run 42lbs front and back. For some reason I am getting bubbling or lumpy only on the left side of the tire. This to me is a manufacturing defect as it is not even wear. Right side looks perfect. Based on the wear indicators, I have lots of tire left but now have to replace the tire due to the unusual wear.
Would like some comments from someone at Bridgestone as this is not good.
More wear on the left side of a motorcycle tire is not unusual due to left hand turns being much longer (and usually faster) than right hand turns. Here's a pretty good article on tire wear.

Bike
2012 Honda ST1300A
Yes I know the bike is still under warranty but in most cases tires are not covered. I realize that left turns wear out tire more so how come my rear tire has even wear? I do not ride fast or corner hard as I was not a road racer but an offroad competitor for years.
Bought the bike new at a dealer about 70 kms away as my local dealer would not get me one that was not in their showroom. That's another story.

Bike
ST1300
I know that they probably would not give you a new tire but they may have an answer to the cause. Then again maybe the shop you bought it from might be more willing or able to help you out somehow? Free install on new purchase or discounted tire purchase or something? Call and ask anyway to see if they might help you. Either way please let us know what you find out however you go.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
The other thing that I thought of was a possible uneven fork oil level but then I should notice handling issues or pull to one side.
Chances are uneven fork oil would have little if any effect. There are several bikes that have differing construction on one side vs. the other (e.g., Goldwing cartridge on one side, damping rod on the other, anti-dive valve on one side, Yamahas with compression damping on one side, rebound on the other). Fork oil level mostly affects the amount of air available to compress in compression, mostly effective at longer suspension travel. Doubt you'd notice quite frankly if one side had a bit less oil than the other, nor would it affect tire wear much if at all.

Bike
R1200rt
7k is all Bridgestones last. cupping in normal, some tires more than others . all bikes I have owned had tires that wore uneven or cupped. I had bt023 that cupped god awful after 5k. I know have an exedra max on front and a t30 on rear with 5k and the tires show little signs of cupping or uneven wear. The exedra max is showing very little wear but the t30 is fairly worn. NO CHANGES TO SUSPENSION BUT TIRES MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE ON TIRE MILEAGE AND WEAR

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
This is the Bridgestone sub-forum and the OP has a 1991 ST1100, as I do, so I'll respond.

Which Bridgestone tire are you using? I have many thousands of miles on the OEM Bridgestone Exedra G547/G548 tires and they don't cup excessively. I run the recommended/spec'd 36/42 psi. Not sure what you mean by 'lumpy'... that sounds like a defective tire to me.

I get 20K+ on a front G547 and usually over 10K on the rear G548. FWIW and YMMV and probably will.

John

Last edited:
Bike
2012 Honda ST1300A
Update; My front is the stock Battlax 020F. I emailed Bridgestone and they told me to take the bike to the dealer and have the dealer contact this person at Bridgestone once they have looked at the tire. Yes I agree lumping my be normal but only on one side of the tire is not

Top Bottom