Road to making 1/12 scale ST1100.

Miz

Ken
Bike
ST1100
Hello I've just started making my ST1100 in 1/12 scale from scratch. I've been searching a miniature model of it,but until today I find no production model. I'll use tires and wheels from 1/12 TAMIYA CBR1100,but another part such as fairing,I'll make mold and get three-dimensionally scanned data for 3D printer. I've never tried this method so far. Please keep an eye on my struggle.

Attachments

The Cheese

I wish you luck with your project. Really curious to see it finished.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Very Cool. Keep us posted!

Are you scanning and printing or jobbing it out?
SLA or FDM?

OP
OP
Miz

Miz

Ken
Bike
ST1100
Hello everyone,thank you for your interest!
I'll make it in FDM.I have rental printer in the near commercial facility.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Hello I've just started making my ST1100 in 1/12 scale from scratch. I've been searching a miniature model of it,but until today I find no production model. I'll use tires and wheels from 1/12 TAMIYA CBR1100,but another part such as fairing,I'll make mold and get three-dimensionally scanned data for 3D printer. I've never tried this method so far. Please keep an eye on my struggle.
Be selective with your choice of 3D printer. They use different plastic media...some even use metal powder. The bottom end machine uses filaments, which look like weed whacker string. With this type of work, the 'layers' are distinctly visible. You may want to check out Vacuum Forming the fairing parts as you want them to be smooth. Anything hidden under the cowl of the real bike can be done on a 3D printer having low resolution.

Good luck with the project.

OP
OP
Miz

Miz

Ken
Bike
ST1100
Hi,Oldbikefixr.Thank you very much for your advice.Yes,I guess I have to polish the surface when I get the 3D printed object.
Vacuum forming would be nice but in that case I have to make other side of the mold.It's very difficult making it symmetry;-)
It's a little progress.I've formed dummy tank and seat.For next step,I'll groove some parting line.
mst_2.jpg

OP
OP
Miz

Miz

Ken
Bike
ST1100
This weekend's progress.
There remains some small air inlet on the fairing to do.
A side mirror seems difficult to make:eek::
stm2.jpg

OP
OP
Miz

Miz

Ken
Bike
ST1100
I got further progress. I've almost finished molding of fairins. Rear grab handle and steering cover are still remained. In the picture,tire and front fork are from only TAMIYA's CBR1100. I guess I have to make disk brakes, because it's unique design to ST1100:)
.mst0830.jpg

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Nice work Miz, very nice. Looking forward to the final product.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Holy Moly that looks great! Do you have a day job cuz it looks like you've made a lot of progress in a short time. This is one of the coolest things I've seen in quite a while.

OP
OP
Miz

Miz

Ken
Bike
ST1100
Hi,paulcb,thanks. I'll search the best way to scan this mold. Still a long way to go ;-)

Thanks ST Gui! I'm glad to hear that. Yes I also have a job as creative director. but you know, creative guys always love making something than a good dinner ;-)
To be exact... I could dedicate because my wife went out whole last weekend.

OP
OP
Miz

Miz

Ken
Bike
ST1100
Thank you very much Thane... it's still a long way to go ;-)
Mmm...hard to make.Now I'm trying to make handle cover.
Very complicated shape...The first version I made was little bit small and asymmetric.
Ver2 is in progress...
image.jpg

OP
OP
Miz

Miz

Ken
Bike
ST1100
Because it is unique design to ST1100, I ordered etching parts.
I made sketch by Illustrator.It contains front brake rotor L/R and some badges.
IMG_4951.jpg

OP
OP
Miz

Miz

Ken
Bike
ST1100
Thank you very much DeanR please keep your eye on my project.

I've finished making left side of the body.For the 3D scanning I painted it in gray with surfacer.
Making right side data from scanned left side body,then make them combine. I leave it to the professional.
in the interim I'll make the front fender and wind screen with vacuum form technique.
IMG_4969.jpg

Top Bottom