Throttle Response/Jerkiness

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Not sure if I'm in the correct forum for this but I have a twofold question;

1) What is the best way to address the jerkiness you get in the throttle with fuel injection i.e.
Power Commander type units that alter the fuel/air ratio or throttle tamer or ...... ( stock pipes and air filter ) ?
2) Would Power Commander type units improve fuel mileage, running smoothness or performance ( stock configuration ).

Thanks
Jim C

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
You can practice trying to obtain granularity needed for the subtle minute throttle changes Grasshopper.

There's the Ivan FCE (Fuel Cutoff Eliminator). I don't know that the Power Commander addresses the FI fuel cutoff. I bought a G2 Throttle Tamer that did the trick for me. The G2TT is an aluminum tube that replaces the plastic factory throttle tube under the right-side grip. Instead of a concentric surface for the Pull throttle cable it's cammed or ramped to provide a non-linear less aggressive tip-in when you twist the throttle at small openings. At small openings (low throttle) you have more control. This allows you to accelerate slowly more smoothly and to roll off the throttle gently instead of getting an abrupt cut-off.

It's $80. That seems pricey but you forget about the money in a few seconds of riding. I love mine. As far as I'm concerned it provides the basic granularity that should have come from the factory. Had Honda done this there's be a lot fewer complaints about throttle jerkiness.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I spent the 130$ for the Ivan's FCE, and it made little to no difference in the cut-off. I did "re-profile" my throttle tube to resemble the G2 throttle tamer, and it worked really well. It took 25 minutes all told, and I am very pleased to say it helped immensely. If you lack the tools and/or knowledge to do it, the G2 is a good alternative.

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
You can practice trying to obtain granularity needed for the subtle minute throttle changes Grasshopper.

There's the Ivan FCE (Fuel Cutoff Eliminator). I don't know that the Power Commander addresses the FI fuel cutoff. I bought a G2 Throttle Tamer that did the trick for me. The G2TT is an aluminum tube that replaces the plastic factory throttle tube under the right-side grip. Instead of a concentric surface for the Pull throttle cable it's cammed or ramped to provide a non-linear less aggressive tip-in when you twist the throttle at small openings. At small openings (low throttle) you have more control. This allows you to accelerate slowly more smoothly and to roll off the throttle gently instead of getting an abrupt cut-off.

It's $80. That seems pricey but you forget about the money in a few seconds of riding. I love mine. As far as I'm concerned it provides the basic granularity that should have come from the factory. Had Honda done this there's be a lot fewer complaints about throttle jerkiness.
+1 Throttle Tamer worked beautifully for me. I was lucky enough to post in the wanted section here and picked one up for $20 I think.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I tried the G2 and the FCE and both made improvements for me, some don't notice any w/the FCE but as far as I can tell everyone report improvements w/G2 so I would start there.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I don't have a throttle tamer, but I was seriously considering one when I first got my ST1300. I read here that the "jerkiness" takes a while to get used to so I waited. It took a long time (maybe even a year), but I did eventually get used to it and I have much better throttle control without having to be too conscious about it.

Unlike previous bikes where I could just chop the throttle when slowing down, such as approaching a turn, I now slowly roll off the throttle. As I said, it's not really conscious, more like muscle memory. For a while, I would actually brake while still holding throttle so that as I entered the turn I could just release the brake and still have the right amount of throttle. This was just an interim tactic while I got used to Honda's poorly designed throttle. I still might do that on occasion, but I've gotten much better at finessing the throttle.

So, you might want to give it some time and see if becomes second-nature before making any changes. It really shouldn't be necessary if the throttle had been designed better, but getting accustomed to it is possible.

Oh, and 1 of my 2 drops was definitely caused by the jerky throttle. That was a while ago. I hope to not have any more.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
+50. The best word I've ever heard to describe throttle on the ST is "accurate." This bike rewards excellent right-hand technique and is quick to make anything less plain as day.

--Mark

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Despite the touchiness displayed on the ST1300 I still say Honda's PGM-FI was really good for early 2000's motorcycles. There were other brands whose first generation fuel injected bikes were legend for poor off idle throttle response or for hunting and surging at steady low throttle settings. The transition from carbs to fuel injection was difficult for motorcycles as they lack the huge amounts of inertia present in cars which masks coarse response and/or poor fueling.

That said, the Throttle Tamer tube really seems to cut down on the time and practice required to get used to the snatchiness but eventually one does.

Bike
2003 ST1300
I would just keep practicing and using clutch control, its free and after a while it becomes muscle memory. If you think the jerkiness of this bike is bad, try riding a Rocket III.. it goes from 0 to HOLY CRAP in a much faster time, but all controllable with a little clutch work!

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I did "re-profile" my throttle tube to resemble the G2 throttle tamer, and it worked really well. It took 25 minutes all told, and I am very pleased to say it helped immensely. If you lack the tools and/or knowledge to do it, the G2 is a good alternative.[/QUOTE]

Can you post your re-profile procedure, so others may glean from your wisdom. Thanks, Ted:tb1:

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Well, I have both, Ivan's and the G2. Ivan's pretty much did nothing for my bike. The G2 helped slightly, but the best improvement made is by turning up the idle and taking almost all of the free-play out of the throttle cable.

thekaz

haz gone feral
When I first bought my ST I was thinking *** ....... I read the "fuel cut" BS . Sorry but as a mechanic its tough to read about a map zeroing out which is normal to be called this weird evil fuel cut HAHAHA
Anyways I took all the slack out of the cables and just learned myself some better throttle control which makes it great. I am curious about recurving the tube? Has anyone tried a different tube from another bike ?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
The G2 is a nice little addition. Yes you can get by without it, but if you do much slow speed or ride with a pillion the G2 is a very nice addition. I put one on after owning the bike for two years. Not a huge difference but it is noticeable when maneuvering slow tight corners or siting in line for a few miles to get through a check-point.

OP
OP
Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
For those who've put the Throttle Tamer's on - I have the Brakeaway Throttle Lock, is it impacted at all when using the Throttle Tamer
or does it work just the same as it does on the stock tube ?

JimC

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
With the exception of the "cammed" profile of the G2 which resides in the housing there's no indication that you even have a G2 installed. The standard right-side grip fits the tube same as factory. Don't know if that helps but I'm not familiar with the Brakeaway.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
For a while, I would actually brake while still holding throttle so that as I entered the turn I could just release the brake and still have the right amount of throttle.
This is actually a technique that is taught in the Total Control advanced street riding course. It keeps the suspension stable and allows finer speed adjustments. I can't say I do it all the time but a lot.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
This is actually a technique that is taught in the Total Control advanced street riding course. It keeps the suspension stable and allows finer speed adjustments. I can't say I do it all the time but a lot.
Thanks. It's good to know my accommodating technique is actually a skill that's taught.

Top Bottom