ST1100 wiring through headlight assembly?

Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
Had one of my OEM headlight bulbs go out recently - actually my bike was in repair mode for about 9 months in the garage and when I got it put back together I noticed it was out - so I've sourced the shims and some upgraded bulbs that I haven't dropped in yet.

The other issue that seems to have popped up since I got the bike running again is that all of the accessories that the previous owner and I have added and run through a fuseblock are not working. So I've just started to troubleshoot why the fuseblock wasn't getting any power...but then last night as I was drifting off to sleep I recalled someone on the board here recently mentioning something about the headlight assembly having the wiring run through it as part of the wiring harness...

So is there any remote chance that these two issues are connected? I'll say that it appears that the fuseblock doesn't tie into the OEM wiring in any way - I'm 99% sure that it pulls power directly from the battery to fuseblock then out to accessories...but thought I'd ask in case this is as simple as replacing that bulb and completing some type of circuit.

And then if that is the case I'll next be looking for a way to rewire things so I don't lose all my accessories out on the road should another bulb go out...but that of course is getting way ahead of myself. :)

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Is this an aftermarket acc fuse block and does it have a relay feeding it power?

Is both the hi and low beam out?

OP
OP
smunderdog
Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
This is the Aux block that is installed:

http://electricalconnection.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=18&product_id=80

So yes - it does have a relay. I thought it might be the relay so I went to Napa and had them find one that had matching numbers to all the terminals with the exception of the one right in the middle. I swapped it for the original and that didn't solve the problem.

I'm 99% sure it is only the low beam that is out but will check for sure when I get home.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
That's a standard cube relay, usually on the peg rack by the fuses etc in most auto places. A lot of counter guys are expecting to look up an application and don't recognize them by description. (The center connector is the normally closed contact unused in this application)

It's not likely that the 2 issues are related unless the relay is hooked up strangely.

I'd start by taking the existing working bulb and plug it in to the no working socket.
I'm thinking it's going to work. If so then pull it put the shims in and one project down.

Do you have a multimeter or a 12 volt lighted tester?

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
The Electical Connection fuse block gets power from the battery, but it also needs a trigger wire to get the relay to come on when the key is switched on. It is possible that the previous owner used the wire from the headlight as the trigger?

OP
OP
smunderdog
Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
Wanted to post an update on this - we found the switched power to the assembly linked above was fed through a fuse that was tucked back behind the OEM fusebox - it had a blown fuse in it that once replaced got us back into business. Which is good since I'm getting ready to Rally the Void in 10 days and there are just a few things run off this fuse block that might come in handy like both sets of my PIAA aux lights, my GPS cradles, the power to my V1, power to my USB port that I use to keep my phone charged, my heated grips...ya know, just a few minor things. :)

Had nothing to do with the blown headlight bulb - which we also replaced with some Hella bulbs I picked up from Slasher here on the forum.

Top Bottom