Ebay Deal?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
This is no offense to you, buy I have to ask why? What makes you want to have multiple bikes of the exact same model? I can understand ones you have bought wrecked and fixed, but I've never understood wanting multiples of the exact same bike. I could see reason if one was really high mileage.
I really can't understand that thinking either .... :D

Bike
2010 ST1300
This is no offense to you, buy I have to ask why? What makes you want to have multiple bikes of the exact same model? I can understand ones you have bought wrecked and fixed, but I've never understood wanting multiples of the exact same bike. I could see reason if one was really high mileage.
Makes perfect sense to me - i.e. having several of the same bike. If you know one system and have really mastered it, then repairs become second nature, almost easy. And I've found that I end up with a parts drawer full of pieces for any of the few bikes I've had over the years. It makes much more sense to buy parts that will fit several bikes. All this presumes perfect satisfaction with the model you have chosen, and ignores different types of riding. One gun does not fit all occasions, but back in the day, many frontiersmen could not afford the luxury many of us enjoy today of having multiple calibers and types. You could say they made up for the lack of flexibilty with superb skill....

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Okay, I'll rephrase. A 2012 ST-1300 is no bargain even at $11,995.
And I totally disagree with you! As far as I'm concerned, its a great deal for me, because, now I will have a new bike that I'll be able to keep nice with low mileage while ripping up the other for commuting!

Also consider that when I had my V65 & V45 Sabres after buying the '05 ST1300, they sat. Anytime I rode them, it was the readjusting which I didn't care for.
Also one other thing, one thing about this forum, you have all sorts of folks here. Some like George & UP have multiple ST1100s because they like them. Many others have moved on to other platforms. Me, I'll stay where I am as far as a riding platform goes and have no desire to change out, so yes, $11,999 is a great price as far as I'm concerned!

Last edited:
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Okay, I'll play: Without using the phases "it's old" and "Honda hasn't updated it," what makes a 2012 ST no bargain?

:bigpop:

--Mark
It's not the ST that makes this a bad deal, its a dealer wanting $12,000 for a three, soon to be four, year old new bike. It seems like you're getting $6K off list, but people weren't paying list in 2012 when the bike was current. In reality, this is about a $2K discount over what people were paying three years ago, which isn't near enough.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I get a kick out of people questioning what someone buys with their own money.
I never questioned how anyone spends their money. I merely stated my opinion that the price was too high for a new three year old bike that people were buying for $14K in 2012. $2K for three, soon to be four years, of depreciation is no bargain.

If you want a "new" ST-1300, the this is probably the only game in town.

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
For me it's a fairly simple answer. I ride, and so does my wife.
So if we go off for a trip, having to only worry about one type of bike, and all the intricacies thereof, if I need to pull things apart at the side of the road, is a big plus. Same for servicing, knowing where everything is,only needing one set of filter types, etc. makes sense. I can swap parts for diagnostics, and upgrading the second one is easy when you've already kitted out the first.

When we find a model we both like that suits us, we get one each. Or perhaps to be more truthful, I should say that when I find a ride that I like, then my wife tries it. If she likes it too, then it's gone, and I need to get another one for myself.

And another thing to bear in mind is that there is variation. Everything may be in the same place, and no adjustment necessary, but it doesn't mean each provides exactly the same riding experience, though it is variations on a theme.

For me, it works. For others, maybe not, and that's okay too.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
...If you want a "new" ST-1300, the this is probably the only game in town.
Close, but they aren't in town, it's some 1,200 miles away!

I look at what the value to me is, and really don't care what others think when it comes to my bikes. Everyone has different wants. That's why many here no longer have a ST1100 nor a ST1300 because they put their 20 to 100K on their bikes and got bored with them, so they moved to something else.

I have expressed many times on this forum that when I find something that works well for me, I stick with it for a long time! I rode 700/V45/V65 Sabres for 18 years, why? BECAUSE I LIKED THEM! :D And NOTHING (and I mean NOTHING) that was offered, interested me. Well, not quite, I was thinking of a ST1100, but never could justify the cost to buy one.

I have bought three wrecked bikes, rebuilt them and have ridden them! 37K on my first '04, 34K on my 2010 and now have close to 9K on the other '04. I also look at my age and know that rebuilding them is getting harder to do. And I want a bike with low mileage on it and what better way then to buy a new one. So there's where the value to me is.

Just because you have no desire to own a brand new three year old motorcycle, doesn't mean someone else might want to. So for those of you that don't want a three year old New motorcycle, guess what? you don't have to buy one! You can go by a FJR (or other bike) and then spend the next 3 to 6 months getting it to adjust to your body and riding style!

Go ride, you're spending way too much time overthinking my thinking! :D

OP
OP
jhn_plsn
Man, I have come across some appealing deals like this one;

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?147384-2004-Honda-ST1300-With-Over-2-000-in-Accessories-5-600-Near-Burbank-CA

He even had a weekend offer for $3800.

This drives me a bit nuts. I see these deals that look great, but just cannot pull the trigger yet for various reasons. I know, patience plus I have yet to even look at more than one bike.

I was following Mic from Texas too, but he finally sold his 2005. That would have been the first choice. Take a train there and ride back. How great would that be.

Top Bottom