st1300 clutch basket

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Can anyone confirm if a 30mm 12 pt socket fits the clutch basket nut?

Also anyone who's done a clutch have a feel for how wobbly the clutch out basket is or is it pretty tight and my outer guide is shot?

As long as I'm at it the needle bearing for the clutch out isn't shown on the fiche? Any guesses for a part number?

Find numbers [3], [19]
fiche LINK

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Carl, from the Partzilla parts list you referenced it looks like the clutch basket nut is 25mm. I think I would be inclined to use a 6-point socket on that, as it's likely torqued down to a lot of ft-lbs. I've been into a couple of M/C clutches in the past, and the baskets were rock solid, no wobble. No guesses here regarding your question regarding the needle bearings.

Last edited:
OP
OP
st1300r
Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
That would be too easy (it's the thread size) :)
I have a 32mm which is a squeak to big. The SO is out picking up a 30mm (my guess) wonder what comes home :duck:

The nut is pretty skinny one and get's cranked to 94 lb-ft. The nut itself is 12 sided for that reason.

OP
OP
st1300r
Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
The out that rides on the shaft is a little wobbly. The inner torqued down is solid.
It just rides on the bushing and needle bearings. I don't know how wobbly is wobbly for the outer.

btw 30mm it is. Boy is she tight.

OP
OP
st1300r
Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Needle and bushing are in good shape.
The clutch basket was wobbly because the primary split gear had no tension on it's springs when the bolt broke.

The manual doesn't make it clear just mentions to align the holes when putting the primary gear sandwich back together. That puts one tooth rotation on the outer gear against the springs nested in the fatter main gear. The only way I could figure to do that is install it off one tooth, then slide the clutch basket on and use that to rotate it against the springs then push it further in to engage the back thicker gear. The clutch basket is now tight with one gear pitch of compression on the 3 springs.

OP
OP
st1300r
Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
So... Finally the clutch basket and main driven gear are torqued.

Lessons learned.
-CT021 tool from EBC works the treat for the clutch basket nut.
-Even the post office can't handle 4 towns with the same zip code. Been that way for at least 30 years. At least 2 of those towns have a same street name.
What could possibly go wrong LOL.
-Post office tracking numbers are recorded with lat lon delivery coordinates.
Post office delivery supervisor...
"Do you have a motorcycle?"
"Yes. You're tied into google street maps?"
"Yes. Please hold... We didn't deliver it there"
"Hence the call LOL"
"We'll get it there"
"Tx."

Note UPS and FedEx screw this up as well.

Bike
ST1300 ABS
you are correct the clutch basket bearing does not appear on any fiche. It does however pop out just like any other and its markings are as follows 8Q-NK35X42X23-2. Replaced one a few weeks ago. Haynes manual will claim the clutch basket is one part however the ST1300 and several honda bikes share this bearing CBR 600 etc (indeed its listed on the fiche for them) No idea why its not listed on ours to be honest.

Honda Part Number for bearing is 91026-MV9-671 35mmx42mmx23mm needle bearing with 2 oil holes. when installed should fit flush to rear of basket housing. Around ?60 from David silvers UK

you will probably need a new collar too if the bearing was significantly worn.

Hope this is of use

Top Bottom