The red wire...or the blue wire????

Bike
2012 ST1300ABS
Trying to find the rear brake light wires to tap into for the brake lights on my Givi luggage box. Don't have my manual yet; wanted to access the brake lights directly, but ignitor is solidly wedged in the way, and I can't figure out how to remove the rear taillight lens. Where/how is the best place to tap into the rear brake lights? Thanks to all in advance.

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
I'm guessing by your username that you're talking about a 1300, so that rules me out. On an 1100, I did this on Saturday but on a 1300, I have no experience.

With any technical questions, it is always useful to post the year/model/spec of the bike in question, as part of the question.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
You can access the brake light wires from under the seat or you can remove the rear fender and access the screws to free up the lens and get to the wiresthat way. I don't remember the color of the wires you will need.

OP
OP
Zenbiker1300
Bike
2012 ST1300ABS
Thanks guys. Yes, ST1300. Can anyone direct me to an available wiring schematic, or even a downloadable bootleg manual? Not that such things exist, just wondering :D

PS- just noticed I'm listed as "Threadstarter"...feels sort of Stephen King-ish

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The ST1300 brake light wires are green with yellow stripe. The other wire is solid green - the ground wire.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Thanks guys. Yes, ST1300. Can anyone direct me to an available wiring schematic, or even a downloadable bootleg manual?
Schematic I like the best (2006 non-ABS; close enough for jazz for most other model years AFAIK) can be found here.

You can find the 2003 owner's manual as a downloadable PDF here.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'm cutting the red wi...
Didn't I read some adventure novel in which the hero had to stop a bomb and didn't know which wire - red or black - to cut? Cutting the wrong one, of course, would detonate the bomb and presumably end the novel......

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Didn't I read some adventure novel
It's a plot device in countless books and movies. Maybe a TV show or two. It's not always the hero doing the EOD so mistakes happen and the stories not over.

OP
OP
Zenbiker1300
Bike
2012 ST1300ABS
It's a plot device in countless books and movies. Maybe a TV show or two. It's not always the hero doing the EOD so mistakes happen and the stories not over.
Well...it may not ALWAYS be the hero...but in this case, well, let's just say I've swerved to miss a few squirrels in my life ;)

...Oh, and many thanks for the links to the schematics to the bom...uhhh, bike's "electrical system" and the "shop manual" (nudgenudge, winkwink, etc.)

Man. I seriously need some coffee.

Last edited:
Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Trying to find the rear brake light wires to tap into for the brake lights on my Givi luggage box. Don't have my manual yet; wanted to access the brake lights directly, but ignitor is solidly wedged in the way, and I can't figure out how to remove the rear taillight lens. Where/how is the best place to tap into the rear brake lights? Thanks to all in advance.
Which tail/brake/turn signal lighting are you installing? Is it the AdMore lighting, or something else? I have the wiring instructions for the AdMore Lighting. Let me know...:)

OP
OP
Zenbiker1300
Bike
2012 ST1300ABS
It's a brake light system for the Givi V47 PanEuro box; I just ordered a $9 modulator from Amazon to go along with it that flashes the LED quickly for 3 seconds, slow for 3 seconds, then solid on, and resets to the start of the cycle when you release the brake lever. I'm not familiar with the AdMore; the Givi uses simple wire taps (I hates wire taps, but depending on access, I may need to use them) on the ground and momentary hot wire to the brake lights. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

OP
OP
Zenbiker1300
Bike
2012 ST1300ABS
While you are at it, you might consider tapping into the tail light too. I have a handy little diagram and some photos for a mod to the honda led brake light which allows it to be seen as a tail / stop light - operating at reduced brightness all of the time, but full brightness when brakes are applied. I assume the givi has LED lights ?

I've done this twice. First time i cut all 3 wires and fitted a hitachi 3 pin connector to remake the connection, with an extra set of leads running up into the rear cowl under the seat. The bike was 6 years old, and the cable inside was turning dark. I felt i had to clean the strands in order to make a decent connection. 2nd time, i didnt cut the wires. I 'peeled' the plastic insulation like peeling a potato - very sharp scalpel, slicing parallel to the wire. I twisted the extra wire into it and soldered, greased the bare wire and insulated it. Impossible to get sleeving on doing it like this, but lay the joint along a length of insulation tape and fold the sides up so that the exposed sticky sides can be pressed together. That seals the grease in, then wrap round with tape in the normal way.

While you are in there, disconnect the connector from the bulb, and apply some dilectric grease. On my older bike these were very weathered and were difficult to clean up. Unlike most haonda connectors, these had been left unprotected.

[Edit] Just realised I didn't answer the original question

To get at the tail light leads, remove the rear mudflap (4 bolts). The bulb holders turn and pop out. Best to undo both, and remove the bulbs to save breaking them. It is probably easier to tap into the lead from the harness which feeds to the right hand bulb. There isn't a great deal of space to work, especially if you are trying to crimp connectors onto the leads.
[/Edit]

I'll start another post re the tail stop light, and put the link here.

Here it is.
Thanks John, that helps immensely.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
the Givi uses simple wire taps (I hates wire taps, but depending on access, I may need to use them) on the ground and momentary hot wire to the brake lights. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
You might want to try these, Posi-Tap connectors, instead of the "simple" wire taps. http://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html
I use them. They work well, are reliable and easy to use. They are not inexpensive, but they do exactly what you want them to do without the issues that the "simple" taps have.

Last edited:
Top Bottom