Boots Redwing Boots?

Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs
Hi folks
Quick question, are Red Wing boots as good as people say?, im looking at the Beckman boots, but they are selling for ?260 in the uk, dont mind paying if they are value for money in terms of how long they will last.

My Cat boots have been retired after 11yrs service, and i even sold them on ebay for ?9 so was very happy at that:)

Cheers
Chris

Bike
1997 Honda ST1100
Re: A question for the US members.

Everyone I know who has ponied up the dough for a pair of Red Wings swears they are the best boot ever made for work and such. I've never met anyone who actually owned a pair who had anything but praise for the boot.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #

Everyone I know who has ponied up the dough for a pair of Red Wings swears they are the best boot ever made for work and such. I've never met anyone who actually owned a pair who had anything but praise for the boot.
:plus1:

OP
OP
caddyman
Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs

Thanks LD76, that seems to be the same as a lot of sites on the old web.

I like the fact that they are made in the USA, as in the UK most expensive brands are made in China,Indonesia etc....

Would like to have a pair of something handmade, but would have to sell my child or a lung to afford them, but i suppose you "sometimes" get what you pay for.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE

Come to MnStoc....Red Wing is only 50 miles away...I think you can even tour the factory........:D.......just a suggestion...........ff

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #

If you are looking for more options, another good quality boot is Danner (but they only do lace ups AFAIK). I also have been using Rocky Codys for a long time - they are absolutely waterproof and very comfortable - made in the Wellington style and offer all day comfort (I wear mine to work all the time).

Sorry, Red Wings are no longer made in the USA. My last three pairs all say made in China. The quality is NOT the same as before.

Bike
ST1300/GSX1300R

Red Wings just aren't what they were.
I got myself a pair of Chippewa Rally Boots from Amazon.
$260 (there abouts) I think I got good riding boots in the deal..

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #

... I got myself a pair of Chippewa Rally Boots from Amazon.
$260 (there abouts) I think I got good riding boots in the deal..
Those are a nice looking pair of boots. How are they walking around? Do the side straps do anything or just for looks? Rain proof?

Bike
ST1300
STOC #

Been wearing Red Wings for about 35 yrs. When I heard that they were discontinuing the boots I wear now, I went out and bought 4 pair. The ones I miss the most are a pair of insulated, water proof, light weight, hunting boots. IMHO they are worth every penny.

Bike
2010 ST1300

I have a pair of Danners that I have worn for the AF Reserve for the last 5ish years. I even climbed mount Fuji in them. I love them. I bought a pair of Red Wings for my civilian work and for riding the ST and I don't like them. I bought them in February of this year. They are made in China as are the Danners but the Danners are holding up better. Both pair are composite safety toe but the rw do not have a shank. The danners do have a shank which is nice for riding because the boot doesnt flex on the pegs.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #

Count me as one that was significantly disappointed with Red Wing boots (US made)--I spent a lot of money on a pair 15 years ago, and they lasted shorter than a number of pairs of steel-toes I've bought at Walmart or Target over the years since. The best ones I've found are 'Caterpillar' branded ones in Target (although I don't think those are stocked there anymore). The one benefit of the Red Wing store at that time was that had a variety of boots which fit my wide feet--that was the key reason I went with them. But the footbed support failed within a few months, the sole was very hard, the leather was tearing, and stitches were coming apart. Perhaps I got a rare 'fail', but I've not had another pair since.
:shrug1:

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300

Sorry, Red Wings are no longer made in the USA. My last three pairs all say made in China. The quality is NOT the same as before.
Correcto.. just had it out couple of weeks ago with Red Wing guy that brings the truck to our plant.. I bought $250 pair last year.. Made in China. they are shot.. threading on stitches gave up.. He won't give me a break on new pair.
I have wore red wings for last 20yrs. typically got 2 yrs out of them. last pair 1 yr.. I'm probably done and looking for something else, however it may be painful to find another good brand..
Ohh,, I work in steel mill.. There is no tougher service on shoes then there... Hot metal is tough on shoes.

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300

long ago I you could get good boots from Rocky. Made in OHIO, USA. that's all gone to china now!

Bike
'06 ST1300A

Some Red Wings are still Made in USA. I believe it's the "Heritage" Series. That series makes up maybe 10-20% of their line, and I'm not sure if it includes any of the steel toe models. I know that the model of Red Wings that are my primary footwear is no longer made here.

OP
OP
caddyman
Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs

Thanks lads for all the comments, im really supprised that they are farmed out to china now, i watched a short vid that did state the soles were made elsewhere but it seemed to portray the made in the US by local workforce etc......suppose its the same all over now, look at the UK a once great proud engineering heritage reduced to next to nothing, i think we are a "services" nation now...................sad times, most folk cant tie there shoelaces unless there is an app to show them how.

Anyhoo dont think i will be paying out for the Beckman boots now, plenty of other brands that i know will do the job even if they are'nt made in Uk.

Cheers
Chris

Bike
2006 ST1300

Another alternative to Red Wing boots, , is Thorogood boots, made by the Weinbrenner company, in the USA!. I have narrow feet, and was looking for a narrow, Made in the USA boot, and came upon these. The prices are very reasonable, and the reviews are overwhelmingly good. I used to wear Mason steel toed boots, but they are made in China now too. I have a pair which is on it's third set of soles, that I got in 1994, when they were still made in the USA.

Bike
ST1300/GSX1300R

Those are a nice looking pair of boots. How are they walking around? Do the side straps do anything or just for looks? Rain proof?
The straps do keep the boots tight and they are waterproof, up to the side opening. The inside is leather lined and very nice to wear.

Bike
95' ST1100

Another alternative to Red Wing boots, , is Thorogood boots, made by the Weinbrenner company, in the USA!. I have narrow feet, and was looking for a narrow, Made in the USA boot, and came upon these. The prices are very reasonable, and the reviews are overwhelmingly good. I used to wear Mason steel toed boots, but they are made in China now too. I have a pair which is on it's third set of soles, that I got in 1994, when they were still made in the USA.
This was the company that I was looking at long and hard. Never pulled the trigger as money was tight. Went with an el cheapo Menards boot that was on sale down to $10 or $20 bucks. The times I have worn them, they have worked out well, but definately nothing that I would wear everyday. Had I had the funds at the time, I definately would have been looking at Thorogood. http://www.weinbrennerusa.com/

Top Bottom