fuseblock connection ST1100

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I moved this fuseblock from one ST1100 where it was functional, to the other. Hooked up the same way or so I thought.

It is not getting power and I have no idea what I'm looking at. For example, due to some weird mental block, I don't get what a relay does even though it's been explained to me a hundred times,

The large red wire which is connected to the blue one from the relay goes right to the battery positive. It is fused.
The yellow goes from the relay to that little mounting screw.
The white one goes from the relay to a frame bolt on the left.
The smaller cut red ones were already like that, one being connected to the black to the relay.

Some help from you electrically knowledgeable here would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
All a relay is, is basically a switch for big power. You run big power through the relay (battery to fuseblock) and use little power via a switch to turn the relay on...releasing the big power. This is to keep the big power out of your little switches or wires, preventing the smoke from getting out.

Assuming that is a 4 or 5 pin relay... the relay terminals will be marked with numbers.

Terminal 87 should go to your fuse block (big power out)
Terminal 30 should be connected to your battery (big power in to relay)
Terminal 85 gets grounded (this is the ground for the switch inside the relay)
Terminal 86 should go to whatever you are using to trigger the relay or turn on the fuse block (little power from switch)

Last edited:
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
looking at the pics, I'm going to guess that the blue comes from the battery, the white is the trigger, the yellow is the power to the fuse block and that the black is supposed to be grounded but looks to be unhooked. the center red is unused. check against the numbers i posted above to make sure though.

**EDIT**
I should've read your post more closely... if the white goes to the frame then the disconnected black wire is your trigger wire, and needs to be hooked up to whatever you want to turn the relay on with. on my bike I used the tail light. Also, be careful with that stud that the relay and yellow wire are bolted to, when the relay is activated, supplying power to the fuse block, that stud will be 12v + and will arc out if grounded. be good to cover that with some electrical tape or something.

Last edited:

crosari2

Toruk Makto
Bike
2000 ST1100
Dean, if you are still having problems go back and read my thread "Electrics for Dummies (Me)". I just finish wiring my fuse box and the guys helped me posting a lot of links and explanations on relays and wiring diagrams. It looks like you have a 5 post relay with wire attachment. Have to look at the relay itself and find which post is 30, 87, 85, 86, 87a. And then follow the directions from Don as to which wire goes where.

Miguel

OP
OP
DeanR
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
All the wires and corresponding numbers on the relay seem in order. Just not sure what to do with the black wire (apparently the trigger).
Is it correct that the fuseblock would not be powered until that is connected to something? I just want to have the fuseblock switched. 87a remains unused?

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
All the wires and corresponding numbers on the relay seem in order. Just not sure what to do with the black wire (apparently the trigger).
Is it correct that the fuseblock would not be powered until that is connected to something? I just want to have the fuseblock switched. 87a remains unused?
This is correct. You want switched power to go to the black wire, this will activate the relay and allow power to get to the fuse block. In your application, you don't need 87a. I would even remove that wire from the connector. This step isn't required but, pin 87a will be hot when the relay is switched off. So if you wire the trigger wire to your tail light, the relay will turn on with the bike, but that red wire will be energized whenever the bike is turned off. You can also tape it up really well if you don't want to remove it entirely.

Top Bottom