Clutch free play

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
If this hasn't been posted already...

If you have excessive free play in the clutch handle it's not necessarily fluid related.
Pull the handle and check the condition of the blind hole in brass bushing. Over time the brass bushing wears so there's slop in the handle. Left unchecked the push rod will chew into the clutch handle.

Find Item [3] LINK
Probably a good idea to have a boot on hand, or at least lube the old one up with a clean coat of silicone o-ring grease, when you check.
Mine needed replacing.

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Probably a good idea if the lever is squeaking or creaking to investigate why and grease it before it wears out parts.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Had to replace mine @ ~39,000 miles because the brass bushing was badly worn. Had it adjusted a couple thousand miles before that, which helped reduce bot in/out and up/down slop, but since I had also ordered the replacement lever that got installed last week. The difference now is the difference between day and night.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I put a little bit of moly paste each year on the brass. No more wear...
I use moly on it once, I guess too much, it migrated down onto the nut underneath and I ruined a pair of deer skin gloves reaching into the fairing pocket. After that I use a smidge of Syl Glide silicone lubricant. It doesn't seem to run or migrate.

Bike
2k9 ST1300
I use moly on it once, I guess too much, it migrated down onto the nut underneath and I ruined a pair of deer skin gloves reaching into the fairing pocket. After that I use a smidge of Syl Glide silicone lubricant. It doesn't seem to run or migrate.
It is in fact a little more dirty but I think you really put more than I do. About the size of a rice grain is more than enough

Top Bottom