ST1100 28 AMP Alternator no longer available

Bike
'06 ST1300
I just noticed according to Western Honda and Partzilla the 28 AMP alternator is no longer available from Honda for the pre-1996 years of ST1100's. The 40 AMP upgrade isn't something I'm looking forward to mostly because of the required wiring changes. I'm hoping my 28 AMP alternator lasts at least until this winter since it's 115 degrees in Phoenix right now and my wife refuses to let me set my motorcycle lift up in the den. I'm thankful for this site and the many people here who have shared their expertise and knowledge to keep my 92 ST on the road.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
The wiring differences doing an upgrade to the 40A are very simple, simpler in fact by far, than the mechanical work.

-Jeff

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
WOW! Glad I got the 28 amp stator done last year on the '95 I had back then. Looks like the 20 year cutoff on OEM parts availability, common amongst manufacturers, has taken hold on some things.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
The wiring differences doing an upgrade to the 40A are very simple, simpler in fact by far, than the mechanical work.
Indeed. Pretty simple, really. Clip the white wire at the black 2P connector. Clip the black and red/white leads from the VRR and cap them. Plug the 40amper's black wire lead into the 2P connector and connect its main lead to the fuse block of your choice. Run a lead from the other side of the fuse block to the battery (or battery side of the starter-relay/main-fuse unit). You could just leave the leftover 28amper's wiring in situ if you like.

John

Last edited:
Bike
1990 Yamaha XTZ750
The wiring change is minimal compared to the mechanical bit. The Lewis pin method definately helps.
With the 40A alternator (and a denso replacement voltage regulator replacement) has a solid 14.1V (with head, tail and running lights on) from about 750rpm to redline.
With 2 ADV Monster model 44, running, tail & full headlights + oxford adventure handlebar warmers it drops to 13.8V

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
For replacement 28 amper, if needed, contact Don Cortez on this forum. Almost guarantee he has at least one available, used.

Cant find Don Cortex on the Directory. Must need his user name. Do you know it. I was interested in fixing a 28amp alternator? Motomarko in Wisconsin

Top Bottom