Help me please...st1100 1998

Bike
Honda ST1300Abs 2006
good morning everyone,
I am new to the site and I would appreciate your help because I have a 1998 ST1100 for 2 years and a first problem occurred: I turn my key on it and everything shuts off the clock! !!! and it has been two to three times that to happen and tonight nothing when I turn the key on it !!!!! according to you is that the starter? battery? thank you for your help! Pascal

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
First, check that your battery connections are CLEAN and TIGHT. 99% of these symptoms are caused by a loose battery cable.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I agree with whats been said already. A loose battery connection could still power the clock but possibly not the rest of the bike. Any electrical issue on a bike, the battery is always the first place to go check then on to the second thing... the fuse box. Conveniently, the fuse box is right next to the battery.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Start with the simple things like load testing your battery first, and then checking for loose or dirty connections.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
While you are checking the battery, the red plug/connector to the left of the battery is a known issue. Make sure that main connection is clean and tight. It would help to prevent future oxidation problems if you applied some dielectric grease to the connector.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
While you are checking the battery, the red plug/connector to the left of the battery is a known issue. Make sure that main connection is clean and tight. It would help to prevent future oxidation problems if you applied some dielectric grease to the connector.
+1 on the above. Also, if you have a voltmeter, measure the battery voltage with the ignition off and then on. If you can and do, what are both readings ? BTW, you should be able to pick up a decent digital meter for $15 .

Bike
1990 Yamaha XTZ750
Had the same symptoms once caused by dead battery - spent a weekend at a friend of mine and in the evening it started just fine until I stopped for fuel half way home.
Same symptom - as soon as I turned on ignition even the clock display switched off.
Triple A (ANWB in the neverlands) confirmed my suspicion and jump started my bike. Replaced the battery and it's been running fine since.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
LOL! Just took a call on this very problem from my son last week. Loose battery cables, and quick screw driver fix got him back on the road. :D

The clock (low amperage circuit) is separate from the rest of the bike so a low bat or loose clamps don't affect it. Soon as the key is turned on, the added load turns off the clock. Simple test, pull the headlight fuse. If the clock stays on when the key is turned on, it's the battery and/or clamps.

Once this issue is addressed, check out the red wire bypass Farkle at ST-Riders.com. It adds more voltage throughout the system (bypassing a long loop of small gauge wire with some larger wire and a relay) while also adding more volts to the alternator exciter. Another good farkle is adding an additional ground wire to the headlight circuit.

Two sites basically provide all the info you'll ever need to keep your ST up 'n running and provide a the community which will keep you riding: ST-Owners.com and ST-Riders.net. Owners is a little more personable and provides a huge forum for rides and events. Riders is a little more cloistered but keeps us older guys with the low STOC numbers connected and also keeps the Archive Of Wisdom current for the 1100s.

Tho many have migrated to the 1300 and other bikes, the ol' 1100 is still my bike of choice. That's why I have three of'em and will get another (late model ABS) if I ever need it. :D

Bike
1999 ST1100
My recent similar problem proved to be a faulty starter relay (also a known problem for bikes of this age) coupled with a bad battery. If you're getting electrical voltage across your nicely tightened terminals, but when you turn your ignition on and no light(s) come on - which was my problem - it could very well be the starter relay has disintegrated or shorted out. Since you can't get into this sealed unit, you will have to test it (some threads on this subject are apparently on this site)...however I took the approach that if it's 16 years old as it was in my case, I'll simply replace it. Once done, the lights came back on, but then I found I had a bad battery. Each case is somewhat individualistic. Let us know how you make out.

Top Bottom