Now Avon offers a mileage warranty.

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
I was trolling the Avon web site and learned that Avon is offering both a road hazard and mileage warranty of 15,000 miles.
My current PR 3 Michelins are worn out, cupped and nasty looking. They are not quite to the wear bars, at 8,000 miles....I imagine another 1000 will get the to the wear bars...
Like most warranties, Avon's is prorated. But if I get the same 9k miles from them, they will pay for 40% of the cost of new.
Another plus is that they offer the correct sizing for my ST1100....
I am going to have Precision Cycles in Sarasota order them up tomorrow....
Have fun!

Bike
2006 ST
Interesting. I'd run a bunch of Avon's, Storms if I remember right, about ten years ago, that was all I ran on three bikes, then $110 dollar tires jumped in one season almost %50.
I think they are trying to drum up business and to keep you back on Avons. Great tire, no need to slow down ( much ) in the rain.
Fifteen thousand, no way unless babied it's entire life. Never got more that seven.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Would be great if I could change tires once a season instead of 3 times....and puncture warranty.....anyone using this tire? Curious......ff

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Huh. I just last week replaced the Storms that were on my bike when I bought it 5,000 miles ago with another brand and model.

Whether it's the fresh rubber or something else (and I don't know how many miles were on the tires nor how long they had been mounted when I bought the bike), I'm feeling suddenly seriously underwhelmed by the ride and handling qualities of the Avons in comparison. Always felt somehow that I was on the verge of a washout. The new tires feel solid and grippy and bolster my confidence in a way the old ones never did.

Yes I scrupulously kept the tire pressures at 42PSI. Had to check and inflate the rear in particular every week, though the front kept pressure very well. Figured it was either a bad mount or a leaking valve stem. Not the tire's fault.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I am running Storm ST 2 Ultras right now. Previous Storm STs gave good mileage and good handling. I plan to try the 3D if the present ST 2 Ultras ever wear out.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Must be brave to run any of these tires on a ST after all of the failures with them.:22yikes:

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I ran several sets of Avon Storms on my ST when I had it and never had an issue. Well I did have a tire puncture do to a nail and it was replace by Avons road hazard warranty. I will buy a set the next time I need tires for my C14.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Must be brave to run any of these tires on a ST after all of the failures with them.:22yikes:
No substantiated failures were ever discussed, just unsubstantiated ones. There was a couple at BRG that had a bad accident several years ago on another brand, very very popular here. I appreciated that they did not blame the tire because the bike didn't have a TPMS and did not know if they ran the tire low and hot before it delaminated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
richpeabody

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
I had a set on Storms on the 01' ST when I bought it.....they looked to be about 1/2 worn....I rode them for another 5000 miles....
Tires are something I take little chance with....the closer to worn out, the more likely to get punctures....I have always changed them early.
Have fun!

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Avon is offering both a road hazard and mileage warranty of 15,000 miles.
Has anyone ever had this kind of mileage from a motorcycle tire?

I think the most I have had on my 919 with a Continental Road Attack was about 10,500 miles and that was down to an inch strip about .125 wide of cord showing.
Of course I know the dark siders are getting this mileage but on a MC tire???

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
No substantiated failures were ever discussed, just unsubstantiated ones.
Really?
Chris and I both had failures on the STorms, both at highway speeds, both at approximately the same place in the tire mold, both were aired properly.
I think I still have the tires on the side yard to remind be that Avon tires will not be mounted on my bikes.

I for one have had no faith at all in Avon tires due to the unusually large number of documented failures. I state that sentiment knowing full well how the internet can amplify what may be a small number of problems. I base my lack of faith on the percentage of complaints compared to every other brand out there.

I do keep an open mind though and when I see industry leading warranties I immediately think of the Hyundai/Kia story. Abysmal reliability/durability/resale should have killed off the brand but the South Korean company kept working on quality and now they come to the market with a competitive product. Maybe Avon has done the same thing.

One the one hand the "fool me twice" adage will always play in the back of your mind but on the other hand companies are not things, they are people, and people change or get replaced. My rear tire life is max ~2,000 miles so I could wear Avon out (pun intended) with mileage based warranty claims. Of course Avon sidesteps the entire issue by not making a tire that is recommended for fitment on an ST1300! I guess I can respect them for being honest with their tire's limitations but I also can't help but think they just don't build rugged motorcycle tires. Not a fan

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had good experience with Avon Storms for about 70,000 miles - 9 or 10 sets. To me they were the best handling tire on the ST1300 in the post Azzaro 2006-2009 time frame. I could not get more than about 6,500 miles out of a rear (Storm, Z6, Pilot Road first gen) and in search of better mileage during the early part of the great recession moved on to Michelin when the Storm was replaced by the Storm Ultra version that did not have the same solid wear patterns the original Storms did. I tried PR2s and 3s before being asked to beta test the Bridgestone 023. I liked the 023s best of all to date, now on T30s.

I believe Avon's reluctance to recommend a fitment for the ST1300 when they do for the heavier ST1100 stems from the fatal Mersyside accident. That bike was on Avon Azarros and the ST1300's high speed stability "problems" came to light in the subsequent coroner's report that blasted the ST1300. Avon had to be affected by that publicity, otherwise the tires meet objective DOT load index and speed ratings for the ST1300.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #

I think the most I have had on my 919 with a Continental Road Attack was about 10,500 miles and that was down to an inch strip about .125 wide of cord showing.
I would get 14-16,000 out of a rear PR 2 and 16-18,000 on the front PR 2 when I had my ST. It all depends on the grip of the roads and how hard you are on the gas with your right hand. Hard on the gas, the less the tires will last. I put a set of PR 3's on the bike when I sold it. The new owner burned the rear up in 6,000 miles. Asked how he road it, and he said hard. Told him that is why he only got that mileage out of the tire!

I had a blowout at 70 mph with an Avon Cobra on my wing. Tire delaminated and had a bubble that burst. Only had 6000 miles on it and the tread was only half gone. Air pressure was at 41 psi that Honda wants on the rear. I know the thread is on a different model of Avon, but I have read way to many posts of problems with Avon's that I will never put them on one of my bikes again. That is just me. For those that are having good luck with them, great. Just not for me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
richpeabody

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
As I said, this ST had a set on it when I bought it....I put the Michelins on after I had ridden the (used) bike around 9000 miles.....
I had the new Avons installed yesterday....$460, complete including balancing and sales tax.....
I hadn't realized how much difference the shorter Michelin made when using the side stand....
I had a hard time registering the warranty (you have to type:"How do I register the warranty?" into the search function....
I needed to enter the DOT numbers, including manufacturing date...

So far, I'm happy.

Bike
05 ST1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've used the Avon Storm on my previous 03 ST1300. Those two sets of tires gave mileage of 16k to 21k on each set. And only one tire failure due to a puncture. Of course I'm almost 70 years old and ride much more conservatively than I use to ride. This year I put the Storm 3D's on my 05 ST. I just returned from an 8500 mile trip to California to visit my daughter in Woodland plus a few Retread Rallies along the way in Co. and Wi. I like the wet/dry handling and love the mileage. No wobble either. I'll ride Avon till they give me reason to quit.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #

Really?
Chris and I both had failures on the STorms, both at highway speeds, both at approximately the same place in the tire mold, both were aired properly.
I think I still have the tires on the side yard to remind be that Avon tires will not be mounted on my bikes.

Yes, I had Avon STorm II tires front and rear on my ST1100 for over 16200 miles and then the rear belts broke and tore a hole in the tire. 2-3 plugs would enable the tire to hold enough air to ride home 13 miles but would drop psi from 28 (max I could get in at the time) to about 8 by the time I arrived home. Same from home to dealer (8 miles). At that time the Avons looked to have at least another 3000 miles of tread left and I always kept 42 psi in the rear, 40 psi in front. Posted about it in this forum a few years back. I currently have over 15100 miles on the stock Dunlop tires on my CTX, and I would regularly go over 20000 miles on Dunlop Elite 2 tires on my GL1500 years ago. Not an aggressive rider and very little chip/seal roads around here, mostly concrete. If I have proof that this warranty would cover belt failure and medical bills due to said belt fail, such as some other rider providing their experience that this actually happened, then I might consider trying another Avon... but not any time soon. Need a LOT of assurance that any new Avon will not fail. Was very happy with them until that belt fail. Fortunately it didn't happen while riding a highway but on a city street just after pulling off the beltway.

Last edited:

Joseph/TX

R.I.P. - 2016/11/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
1994 ST-1100A
Well, this is certainly discouraging. I bought my 1100 back in February. It had already been fitted with new Dunlops and so far I have had zero problems. I haven't tried to break land speed records in the rain or anything like that, but I do ride fairly fast and enjoy playing in the few curvy spots we have in these parts. Like I said, no problems, and at around 4000 mi. the rear is just beginning to square off. I was thinking that when these wear out I'd just buy another set; that was before I read all the posts about Dunlop tread separation etc. in this forum. Don't need a bubble, broken belt, or tread separation at 90 MPH, so I was considering Avons. Although not everyone here has badmouthed them here, enough people have to make me reconsider. So, is there any brand that everyone agrees does not come apart at high speed? I'm not talking about how good the tire feels when sliding the front wheel at the ragged edge of adhesion; I'm not that fast. But I would like to think that I'm riding on a tire that's not going to dump me in front of a bus on the interstate..

STOC #
I ran two sets of Avon Storm II's on my ST1100 and averaged 20k kilometres on each set. Great handling and the most mileage I have ever got from any motorcycle tire. My only concern was the road noise they created, particularly when cornering.

Top Bottom