How long before you cover your (hot) bike after riding it. Will covers melt from pipe

Just curious. I want to by a cover but realize when I get to work the bik and pipes are hot. Should I wait or are these covers designed to not melt.
I thought if the Nelson Rigg half cover which isn't near the pipes but for only a few more dollars getting the full size. I havent' heard anyone say they've melted their cover because they put it on too soon.

Also for a ST1300 I'm guessing XL would be a nice tight fit. It has a topbox but not a huge one. I've seen some people say get the XXL. But I don't want it to sag.
(that's what she said):bow1:

thx

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Re: How long before you cover your (hot) bike after riding it. Will covers melt from

I've always waited to put my cover on when the bike cools to the touch. I've got a big blob on my exhaust right behind the foot peg that used to be part of my rainsuit. I was traveling and dropped my legs down to stretch. It's been there for 4 years now. I've tried everything and it won't come off!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Re: How long before you cover your (hot) bike after riding it. Will covers melt from

I use the half cover at work because I don't have time to wait for it to cool. I also extend the rear straps and attach hooks on the bottom of the bags to hold the straps below the top of the saddlebags.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #

Check with the cover manufacturer about whether or not the pipes will do them in. I've had full covers by OSI and DowCo that were designed to be heat-resistant i their lower halves.

--Mark

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #

I cover the bike immediately after I arrive home. The cover mfr. said it will withstand the heat, and the after-market exhausts I have are supposed to run notably cooler than stock. The combination must be okay: after a year I have not done any visible damage to the cover with the exhausts.

On the other hand, the cover overall is beginning to deteriorate; not having garage, I store the covered bike in the direct sun all the time (except during the four months it was in a rental storage unit over the winter).

Bike
2010 ST1300

I cover immediatly when I get to work. I use a NelsonRigg xl(i think). It has touxh the hot pipes and not melted. Not sure if prolonged contact with the pipes would do damage.

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #

I use a Nelson Rigg half cover when I'm on trips away from home. I usually go ahead and put the cover on after I unload set up camp or unload and check into my hotel room. No problems so far.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #

I also use the Neslon Rigg UV2000 half cover and it works well but I have Staintune pipes which cool of much faster than the stock pipes. But the UV2000 doesn't touch the pipes.

Bike
2010 ST1300

Nelson Rigg half cover. Doesn't come near the pipes. Now that I've said that, I expect I will melt a huge hole in it next time I use it because the cover sagged over one side while I'm putting it on.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #

I've got a big blob on my exhaust right behind the foot peg that used to be part of my rainsuit. I was traveling and dropped my legs down to stretch. It's been there for 4 years now. I've tried everything and it won't come off!
This'll take care of the plastic blob. I use it every year to get the stainless steel pipes clean and polished.

IMG_0169.jpg

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #

This'll take care of the plastic blob. I use it every year to get the stainless steel pipes clean and polished.

IMG_0169.jpg
I'll have to give it a try but I'm not very hopeful. Sandpaper doesn't even phase it!

Bike
ST1300

Don't try sandpaper on the pipes! You could ruin their looks forever!
Soaking a cloth in good old WD40 and leaving it on for a couple of hours might do the trick.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #

I'll have to give it a try but I'm not very hopeful. Sandpaper doesn't even phase it!
Try Easy-Off outdoors on warm (not hot) pipes. After it's sat for 3-5 minutes, use a wooden paint stirrer or something like it to dislodge the melted plastic.

--Mark

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #

Don't try sandpaper on the pipes! You could ruin their looks forever!
+1 Sandpaper :eek:

I'll have to give it a try but I'm not very hopeful.
My battery charging lead came loose and melted on the right pipe with several globs. This stuff removed them and polished the mufflers right up with no scratches! It's designed for polishing stainless steel in professional kitchen and restaurant settings.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #

Yeah, the sandpaper didn't get anywhere near the finish on the pipes. It's that thick!

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #

Like a lot of others... Nelson-Rigg XL Half cover here. Check in, bring the stuff to the room, take the gear off and throw shorts/pants on... wash my face... go cover. Then grab some grub and hit the sack.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #

What fits with a Givi Maxi trunk on the ST1300? After I added the trunk my old cover doesn't fit anymore.

Thanks,
John-

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #

What fits with a Givi Maxi trunk on the ST1300? After I added the trunk my old cover doesn't fit anymore.

Thanks,
John-
mine fits over the Hondaline top box and side bags OK. Doesn't cover my exhaust though. The rest of the bike it fits fine.

Top Bottom