Carb Spitting

Today I brought my 1100 over to one of my friends who has ridden all his life, had many different bikes and knows his engines. It's an '01 with just 49k and he did what he could for the time allowed and made a few suggestions afterwards.
We removed parts all the way to the carbs where he could feel the draft by hand over each carb. When he put his hand over the RF carb to feel, the engine died. He checked sychronization with a little Cajun engineuity:D. The slides worked well and when he started the engine, the right carbs were popping, burping, whatever you call it. He had a can of Yamaha upper engine lube for carbon removal and sprayed in all four carbs. The left side was fine and the RR carb cleared up almost immediately, but the RF still kept burping at us not constantly but frequently. Leaving it at that, it all went back together with a few profane words from him. Those air ducts were a pain to get lined up again.
He didn't have a compression tester to check to see if that intake valve was sticking.
After that was all done, the throttle cables were lubed and adjusted and a few other throttle grip improvements were made. That was an improvement for sure.
Once all was done, he put in about 3 oz. of Marvel Mystery in my already full fuel tank to help that valve out.
I saw some of you mentioned Berryman's and I have seen it at O'Reilly's and Autozone. I'll get some of that for the next tank full.
Is there a safe motor oil additive to help out the valves on the lube side of things? It's time to change the oil since it's been a year and only 2900 miles ridden in that time. If you say no, I'll honor that.
Oh, BTW, this popping only happens when it's cold. Once it's warmed up, it goes away. If that helps in your info.
Thanks,
David Martin

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Check the isolator boots at the bottom of the carbs... you may have a vacuum leak on the RR carb (#3). You can get at the clamps with a long screwdriver and a flashlight. You could run the Berryman's fuel cleaner, but I have had better results with the "Seafoam" fuel system cleaner. If the bike has sat for a while, you may need to pull the bowl covers and clean the jets.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I have used Berryman's and think it does fine; but, I too have switched to Seafoam at 2oz per gal *max*.
I suggest putting the Seafoam in and then riding it until you feel the entire fuel system has the 'treated' gas and then let it sit for a day or two.

As Vinny notes, popping says air leak... you might spray some wd40 into the area while you have gas applied and see if the engine noise changes pitch in any specific area to find a leak.

Top Bottom