Mistaken for BMW

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Had ST1300s and only got accused of being a BMW once. Now have a Tiger 800XC and get it all the time.:eek:

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I've heard that a few times. Better than is that a scooter got that once at a stop light.

There's a post on here somewhere about some BMW cager getting their panties in a bunch because somebody insulted the brand by putting a BMW sticker on a motorcycle. Guess they didn't know they made motorcycles 1st. Safe bet they missed the pots pans and bicycle years as well LOL.

TPadden

Tom Padden
....There's a post on here somewhere about some BMW cager getting their panties in a bunch because somebody insulted the brand by putting a BMW sticker on a motorcycle......
Then there was that time I was riding in my Jetta with the "My other vehicle" BMW plate and Katie Holmes pulled up next to me at a stop light and asked: "Tom is that you?"

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
There's a post on here somewhere about some BMW cager
Was the sticker on a BMW motorcycle? If not that could be a point of contention for a overly sensitive BMW owner since BMW bikes come with there own "stickers".

Last edited:

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
It's popular among some KLR650 owners to apply "look like BMW" KLR stickers.

Unfortunately that also compels me to bore you with my favorite BMW versus KLR experience. Some friends & I had come over from the Harrison Lake East FSR into the Nahatlatch and came out to have lunch at the Charles Hotel in Boston Bar, BC. We parked out front, to the east of a group of dual sports which looked to be getting ready to set off.

As I walked past, a guy standing with a 650 BMW dual sport made a rude comment to the effect that the KLR was a cheap piece of junk. Since we were face to face and he could have had no idea what medication I as supposed to be taking and wasn't, I was a bit surprised at his level of risk taking.

I turned to him and said, "It's better than having a girl's bike I'd be afraid to take off road." He was momentarily speechless and some of his buddies started to chuckle, then he responded, "It will do anything your bike will do and better!"

I turned, walked back to the KLR, put one foot on the seat and pushed it over. "CRASH!!!" In that dry air it sounded like a pallet load of sheet metal roofing hitting the ground from about 20 feet. People at the gas stations across the highway turned to see what was the noise.

I walked back to him mildly retorted, "OK, your turn!"

He didn't know whether to poop or wind his watch. His mouth opened and closed several times while he made odd sounds, then he grabbed his gloves in one hand, shoved his helmet on, no strap, piled on his bike and roared off. His buddies were doubled over slapping their thighs and howling with laughter.

Walked back and stood the KLR back onto the side stand and had about the best tasting Chinese food I've ever eaten. Must admit, I wouldn't have pushed that BMW over either.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
For what it's worth, I just had to give a black R12RT a good squint while turning past it at an intersection to make sure it wasn't an ST.

Both bikes got admiring looks from the others' riders.

--Mark

Bike
07 ST1300
As I walked past, a guy standing with a 650 BMW dual sport made a rude comment to the effect that the KLR was a cheap piece of junk. Since we were face to face and he could have had no idea what medication I as supposed to be taking and wasn't, I was a bit surprised at his level of risk taking.
It's hard for me to fathom that level of rudeness. I will never understand it. I hear these things but in 45 years of riding almost every brand available I have never witnessed it. I'm glad of it because I have a low tolerance for such things.
I wish you kicked HIS bike over instead! But then the bike didn't do anything wrong.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Good story Norm.

I've heard it a few times with the ST and also heard it with the '79 GL-1000 with the Vetter fairing...

Bike
2005 Concours
Love the story Norm....got a nice chuckle out of it. I've had people ask me the same thing about my Connie. I'm just glad their not asking me "is that a Harley".

peterz

Site Supporter
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
I have HMW stickers on my bike and some BMW owners have to take a second look and other bike owners tell me i have a nice looking Beemer.

Bike
2001 ST1100
I turned, walked back to the KLR, put one foot on the seat and pushed it over. "CRASH!!!" In that dry air it sounded like a pallet load of sheet metal roofing hitting the ground from about 20 feet. People at the gas stations across the highway turned to see what was the noise.

I walked back to him mildly retorted, "OK, your turn!"
I've owned and ridden a KLR for many years and you're right they don't get a lot of respect but they can stand tall with the best of them. We all have stories of other rides making fun of them but that might be one of the best KLR stories ever. :)
klrsunset.jpg

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Love the story Norm....got a nice chuckle out of it. I've had people ask me the same thing about my Connie. I'm just glad their not asking me "is that a Harley".
ACTUALLY, that gives me an idea. If we re-badged enough STs to masquerade as that other brand (Brand name "Hardly Davids son"?) could we subvert the HD propaganda machine and create demand for ST-wannabes?

A few people have mistaken my badgeless ST11 for a BMW, which I can somewhat understand if you weren't overly familiar with sport touring bikes as it does look European (PAN European, to be exact), but the few times people asked me how I liked my Goldwing really confused me. Sure it has hard bags, but that doesn't make it a 'Wing, and I don't see how anyone could confuse the two.

Top Bottom