Givi Top box uncomfortable for wife

Bike
2006 ST1300
We don't ride two up a whole lot because we've got a 5yo, and just don't get the opportunity to go. But, one thing I noticed right away on one of our first rides was that she fidgets a lot. I asked her about it and she said it's because the Givi seems to push her forward. making her sit like this _\ vs like _| or _/ . I've tried searching to see if anyone moves the box back to help with this.

Since, as I said above we don't ride together a lot I haven't put too much effort into a fix, but its been eating at me recently, so I finally got on here to search and see if others had similar issues.

It doesn't seem to be a common issue, or I'm searching for the wrong terms. The Givi does have the Backrest, below is a picture showing it. I haven't looked at what is adjustable yet even, so maybe it will be as simple as readjusting the mounting plate. The Top box came with the bike.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
You can move the box further back on the bracket by re-drilling where the box mounts, I have my box further back so my Corbin Smuggler will open.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
When I mounted my Bestem, I had my wife sit on the bike to get the box in the right position for her to lean back on.

Bike
07 ST1300
The mount holes on mine are slotted. My girl asked if I could move it back and I did so about a half inch to the back of the slots. I told her I could re drill them aft more but she said it was good now.

OP
OP
Dmtalon
Bike
2006 ST1300
The mount holes on mine are slotted. My girl asked if I could move it back and I did so about a half inch to the back of the slots. I told her I could re drill them aft more but she said it was good now.
I probably should have looked before posting, I just kept forgetting about it. Then today while eating lunch looking out my window at my bike I remembered

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I took the pad right off when I had the Givi. Since my wife's jacket had a back protector it didn't bother her w/o it.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I have the Givi V46 w/backrest. My wife wears an Olympia Jacket w/backpad.
No issues. I believe the box has slots for slight adjustment.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
No such problems with our Honda box. Your does seem to push forward a bit from the photo. Attached, for reference is mine - the top box doesn't get in the way - in fact it feels quite a laid back position if you use the backrest, and my pillion says she hardly ever uses it.

View attachment 167312

(How do you get a large picture in your post ?)

Like this, you have to go advanced and copy the URL and then post it using the add image above.

OP
OP
Dmtalon
Bike
2006 ST1300
Re: image... I had to do it that way (use the [ img ] tag because using the photo url doesn't work for google's photo.google.com url. It doesn't have an extension so it's not recognized as an image, but the img tag worked. also, with photo.google.com you can modify the size by just changing the dimensions on the url, I cut mine in half for posting here). If you are using google, you can just go to your gallery, then click to enlarge the image, then right click and save URL. That's what I used below.

so I did (I dropped the [/img] tags so they didn't convert)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_Z3jAH-gACn0NlzuxHqVla1X2CXQP1zMgceoRVEWDCQ=w1350-h1012-no
but I resized it
[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_Z3jAH-gACn0NlzuxHqVla1X2CXQP1zMgceoRVEWDCQ=w625-h506-no

OP
OP
Dmtalon
Bike
2006 ST1300
So, I pulled off the mounting plate, drilled two holes behind the original slotted ones and then removed the back pad. Wife tested it tonight, and felt the pad mad the most difference. An actual ride will tell if it was a success, but initial impressions are at least positive. I'll need to cover up the holes from the pad to keep it waterproof.

OP
OP
Dmtalon
Bike
2006 ST1300
Here's the two holes. Took the bracket back off to paint the bare holes. I also used the screws that held the Givi pad on reversed, and a couple plastic license plate nuts to seal up the lid.

Bike
07 ST1300
My ONLY problem with doing that is the Givi already seems a little bouncy back there when riding single. But maybe it's fine.

OP
OP
Dmtalon
Bike
2006 ST1300
It doesn't seem any different/worse because the bounce is coming from the play between the Givi bracket and box, not between the bike and the Givi bracket.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Why didn't I think of that!!!:eek: I fixed it like thisIMG_20150813_130510.jpg She dosen't sit behind me anymore. I'm not sure how I feel about that.:D

Top Bottom