He wants a Three Wheeler - I told My Father-In-Law he was Crazy!

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I'm not going to get into the "you should - you shouldn't". You know him far better than we do.

My father is a bit older and although I still see him as the bad *** he was when I was growing up I wouldn't trust him riding even a trike just because he is almost wheelchair bound. If he was like my MIL I would tell him to have a great time. She is older than he is and other than back pain still gets around just fine and has a good mind.

On the other hand, I was able to take a three wheel/trike class a year or two ago and one of the girls (older small lady) in the class showed up on a HD triglide that was barrowed to her... :eek:
By the end of the class she was riding that trike better than some of the younger males in the class, one of which I had in a BRC class a few weeks prior (he failed) and he passed the class on a Spider and actually looked like he knew what he was doing.

I'm not sure how the motorcycle classes (basic) are done there but I would tell him, if available, take the trike class and go from there. Here in VA you don't need a trike/sidecar/spider as the class will provide.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Of course you know your FIL better than anyone here, but I throw this out for your consideration...

Plan an over-nighter (as many nights as you can afford) with him before the Alaska trip. It would be a good opportunity for you to share your experiences with him and maybe give him some pointers since there are some similarities between trikes and bikes. If you're "lucky", you may even run into some bad weather which would only enhance the learning experience.

See how he does. You may change your mind... or maybe he'll change his, but I can't see a downside to a trial run.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Sorry guys, but the most my FIL has ever ridden a bike is a little Honda 90cc to go hunting about 40 years ago! This was a guy that scared himself when he had to ride my 650 Nighthawk about 10 miles back in '84!

He did drive up there a couple of years ago by himself, in his motorhome, my son and wife even spent some time up there with him during that trip!

If he was a longtime rider, I wouldn't object at all, but I don't think a motorcycle/trike long distance ride would be good for him.

Nah, I'm not going to encourage him on it!
Then what was the point of your post?
Only to seek affirmation of your opinion?
A post like that invites all perspectives.
Even opposing ones.

Bike
07 ST1300
I'm not going to get into the "you should - you shouldn't". You know him far better than we do.

My father is a bit older and although I still see him as the bad *** he was when I was growing up I wouldn't trust him riding even a trike just because he is almost wheelchair bound. If he was like my MIL I would tell him to have a great time. She is older than he is and other than back pain still gets around just fine and has a good mind.

On the other hand, I was able to take a three wheel/trike class a year or two ago and one of the girls (older small lady) in the class showed up on a HD triglide that was barrowed to her... :eek:
By the end of the class she was riding that trike better than some of the younger males in the class, one of which I had in a BRC class a few weeks prior (he failed) and he passed the class on a Spider and actually looked like he knew what he was doing.

I'm not sure how the motorcycle classes (basic) are done there but I would tell him, if available, take the trike class and go from there. Here in VA you don't need a trike/sidecar/spider as the class will provide.

This is a good post. Having never ridden a trike since my honda 200 ATV three wheeler, I doubt you can just get on and go. Probably be BETTER if you were not a 2 wheel biker. I knew an older guy that flipped a 3 wheel harley into the bushes. I would welcome some training.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Loved the movie trailer. Or whatever it was.
When I can no longer have fun and be free I won't have to wait to die like my dad in a diaper. Worst thing I ever saw.
The FIL is a hard call but he is a grown man and should not be told what to do if at all possible. Don't know what I would do, but SupraSabre knows better then us.
+1

Gerhard

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Pretty much a case-by-case decision... there are guys I know that are younger than I am with more MC experience that I wouldn't trust on a trip to AK.

Saying you're thinking of doing something and actually doing it are 2 different things, maybe he can rent a trike for a weekend and see what it's like. He may find it's just too much to handle.

A few years ago I took my mom on a ride on the Wing to OK from Dallas and she said she'd love to go to Alaska but even with me as the pilot and her just sitting back there I'm not sure the varying temp changes would be okay with her. So, even though I think she could have done it, I don't know how enjoyable it would be... If I could have gotten enough time off work we would have just driven.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
As we get older, we tend to reflect back on the life we have lived and for some, there are a lot of "I wish I would have...."
My father, a WWII vet, lectured me repeatedly about living my life so I would not have very many "I wish I would haves" when I got too old to do anything about it. When he was 77 he jumped out of a perfectly good airplane once more. (The last time before this was in June of 1944 in Normandy) Life is an adventure for all of us, or at least it should be. Otherwise, whats the point? Perhaps these fellas are simply trying to have one last adventure of a lifetime, and reduce the "wish I would have" list a little. No one wants to die with a long list of regrets.

If he is still competent to drive a car, he'll probably be fine on a trike. The roads are all paved these days, and there are more gas stations and rest stops than ever before. Maybe they'll only make it to B.C. Who cares? It's still a great adventure. I would do everything in my power to go with them, because I need adventure too! Old doesn't always mean incompetent. By trying to discourage him, you may only steel his will to do it even more. I believe everyone should do things that are a little scary or intimidating on a regular basis. For some that may be jumping out of a plane or riding to Alaska.
If you can't encourage him, at least help him out by explaining the types of conditions and things he might expect along the way. Talk about the route, and what it will be like. Talk about weather, wildlife, and construction. If he still wants to go, get the hell out of his way and help him out as much as you can. Get on ADV and see if anyone wants to join them!
Just because something may seem difficult or overwhelming to us does not give us the right to make others look at it that way.
If he makes up his mind to go, don't turn your back on the adventure. Do whatever you can to help him succeed. That way, no matter how it turns out, you won't regret how you handled it.

Garry

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
First off guys, it's not my choice if he does or doesn't. My opinion is just that, my opinion and he'll do what he wants to do, he's still independent and does what he wants.

As for my posting here, I personally was shocked to even think he would try to do something like that and wanted to share. And as always, everyone has their own opinion, that's what makes us as a whole, great! So, that's fine, you all had your opinions, but it won't change mine!

I know him (I've been married to his oldest daughter for over 41 years, so I feel I probably know him better than most), would not trust him out there on the roads on a three wheeler (I hardly trust him in a Car... I don't want to be driven anywhere by him!). Because of his physical condition? Mostly no, but to some degree, but because as much riding as I do, I know his reflexes aren't what they used to be and to start riding a bike/trike/whatever at 84, he would be a target for every cage out there. Like I said, if he had been riding all these years, that would be one thing, but he has never had an interest in riding, so I personally (MY OPINION) don't think it would be good for him to try to start now. (Besides, if he ever got hurt on something like that, my wife would blame me! )

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Bob, given the number of miles you have under your belt with commuting as well as touring, and that you know him well, I will say I agree with your dissuading him if possible.

I think we all want to believe age doesn't matter but sometimes it does take it's toll and there is a point when we should not be operating a motor vehicle of any size or type on public roads and unfortunately WE aren't usually the best judge of that.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Bob, given the number of miles you have under your belt with commuting as well as touring, and that you know him well, I will say I agree with your dissuading him if possible.

I think we all want to believe age doesn't matter but sometimes it does take it's toll and there is a point when we should not be operating a motor vehicle of any size or type on public roads and unfortunately WE aren't usually the best judge of that.
And just try to tell them that they are done driving! :eek:4:

Bike
02 ST 1100
STOC #
I agree with Mellow on this one, sooner or later you have to start to scale back on the fun things, especially Heavy Bikes. I am thinking I need to start looking at that very close. I just got out of the Hospital, from Having severe Chest pains, I caught it early enough, and done something soon enough that I am back home, I will have to go back for more tests next week. I am trying to decide what to keep and what to let go. My thinking right now is The Goldwing will go first, followed by The ST, I am still debating on keeping the 750 Nighthawk, or selling it and getting a Can-Am.
The Can-Am is expensive, but with I can get for the three bikes, it should be doable. That would get rid of the problem of keeping a bike balanced, and I have heard that they are still a fun bike, just can't lean them in turns.

Bike
'08 ST1300
3 wheelers are popular right now; but I don't see how you avoid potholes; and other road debris in middle of the road; don't they get more flat tires?

I'm with Byron, from post #13; and vote sidecar.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Any sidecar I ever drove worked me pretty hard physically....the Spyder types on the other hand even have power steering....and they run car type tires so the road hazard is about equivalent to your car or truck....don't need one yet but nice to know there's the option.....and I got the old Saab 900s convertible......ff

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
That would get rid of the problem of keeping a bike balanced, and I have heard that they are still a fun bike, just can't lean them in turns.
The wife has a Can Am and I take it out now an then for a spirited ride. The rider has to lean into the turn aggressively to keep things stable. It's a gas! It handles just like a roadster. The thing doesn't do well on gravel though, fishtails badly. I think the ST1300 handles better on gravel roads. If I can't keep a bike up anymore I'm in the Can AM camp.
Swerving to avoid obstacles is more difficult than a motorcycle.

Bike
2009 Honda ST 1300
I think it is awesome at that age to do trips on a motorcycle. Hope I live to ride at that age. Be supportive he does not have much time left to ride. He is doing something he loves. You can tag along to help when they need it.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I think it is awesome at that age to do trips on a motorcycle. Hope I live to ride at that age. Be supportive he does not have much time left to ride. He is doing something he loves. You can tag along to help when they need it.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
He doesn't ride now and hasn't thrown a leg over any bike (90cc the biggest he's ever owned), for a very long time, so it's not something he loves to do. In fact, I think, he thinks I'm nuts for all the riding I do. It was just one of those thoughts he had from a friend prodding him. Chris nor I have heard him talk about it since, so who knows what he will do.

dmcleane

Dave Elliott
Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
If he brings it up again, suggest a motorcycle safety course and let reality help him to decide.

A few years ago my older brother, now about 70, said he wanted a Goldwing trike to ride across country. He'd never been on a motorcycle, but had seen my bike and heard my tales. He wanted to have his own adventures. (I was terrified for him, and then realized this is how the rest of my family feels everytime I hit the "ok" button on my SPOT Tracker and take off.) But I sent him off to take the course and get his motorcycle endorsement. He quickly decided maybe a small motor home, like MotoMac and Womantriker's rig, was what he really should do. Now he busy planning his adventure, and whether he goes or not, he's living his dream one step at a time.

Top Bottom