He wants a Three Wheeler - I told My Father-In-Law he was Crazy!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
My FIL came visiting (for the Winter) on Sunday, perfect timing to help take care of my wife while I'm at work, but what he told me I couldn't believe!

He said a life long friend (we are talking about guys in their mid 80s) of his decided since he couldn't pick up his bike when he dropped it a few weeks back, that he is going to get a trike. And now he has my FIL convinced that he should get one too, now get this, then the two of them ride them up to Alaska! :nuts1:

I told my FIL that he has never done any long distance riding and it would kill him! I'm hoping I was able to talk some sense into him! :eek:4:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Isn't there a movie coming out about this... lol

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I understand your misgivings but I would cheer him on. Just get 'used' to the trike before he goes north.
I'm cheering him on.:)
My wife would never forgive me if I encouraged him!

Go with them....
Yeah, I would probably have to just to keep them out of trouble!

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Sounds like a grand adventure....what the heck else you gonna do when you're 85? Reminds me of that Japanese nursing home bunch they made a commercial out of a few years ago...might be the adventure of their lives.......ff....found the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vksdBSVAM6g

Last edited:
OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

Byron

STOC #
I think they should go for it!

hero-lg.jpg
Plenty of space to pack gear. Since Alaska is closer to Russia, maybe parts would be quicker to get to them if they are needed. :)

scootac

Will Ride for Food
So you want to deny him of a grand adventure with a long-time friend.... because of your fears???
And nobody ever told you not to ride motorcyles because they didn't like the idea???
Shame on you!!!
I'd say he's old enough to not give a damn what other people think!
And I hope they have a helluva good time.

Bike
2003 ST1300
So you want to deny him of a grand adventure with a long-time friend.... because of your fears???
And nobody ever told you not to ride motorcyles because they didn't like the idea???
Shame on you!!!
+1, etc.

Bike
1996 Honda ST1100
Not to be flippant but I'd rather die on a motorcycle trip with my bud going to Alaska at 80 years old than sitting in a puddle of my own pee in a chair made out of PVC tubing in a nursing home with a hundred other geriatrics getting hourly abuse from Nurse Ratchet. But that's just me.

roy d...seriously though

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
Not to be flippant but I'd rather die on a motorcycle trip with my bud going to Alaska at 80 years old than sitting in a puddle of my own pee in a chair made out of PVC tubing in a nursing home with a hundred other geriatrics getting hourly abuse from Nurse Ratchet. But that's just me.
Shame on you!!!
If I had an 80+ FIL that wanted to take a trike trip to Alaska with a friend, I would give him all the support I could muster. Even lead the way for them.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sorry guys, but the most my FIL has ever ridden a bike is a little Honda 90cc to go hunting about 40 years ago! This was a guy that scared himself when he had to ride my 650 Nighthawk about 10 miles back in '84!

He did drive up there a couple of years ago by himself, in his motorhome, my son and wife even spent some time up there with him during that trip!

If he was a longtime rider, I wouldn't object at all, but I don't think a motorcycle/trike long distance ride would be good for him.

Nah, I'm not going to encourage him on it!

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Probably should be his decision, unless he's got Alzheimer's or other form of dementia....way I would like to be treated....three wheelers are nothing like motorcycles anyway, except for no roof......2cents.......ff

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Shame on you!!!
:plus1:

Bike
07 ST1300
Loved the movie trailer. Or whatever it was.
When I can no longer have fun and be free I won't have to wait to die like my dad in a diaper. Worst thing I ever saw.
The FIL is a hard call but he is a grown man and should not be told what to do if at all possible. Don't know what I would do, but SupraSabre knows better then us.

Top Bottom