Clear lenses for the front turninglights ST1100

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
TerryS said:
The indicator switch pod for markets with running lights has an extra pair of circuits for the running lights, which gets interrupted on a side when that blinker is activated.
I forgot about extinguishing the running light while the turn signal is in use. Picking up power for the running light needn't be a problem unless you're set on factory connections.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Gives it a new look, most new cars do not have yellow lenses anymore so having yellow lenses showes it's age I guess.
I assume that clear lenses are OK, but aren't the front turn signals required to be amber by the US DOT, or whatever government agency sets the standards for safety requirements on vehicles?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I assume that clear lenses are OK, but aren't the front turn signals required to be amber by the US DOT, or whatever government agency sets the standards for safety requirements on vehicles?
That's where amber bulbs come in. You can use either amber/amber or switchback white/amber.

This is why I recommend that you check with your state/country/whomever laws as to what's legal and what's not and decide if you're comfortable coloring outside the lines.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I just ordered the lenses. My vision for the project is a high powered Amber running light and an amber turn signal. Does anyone have a suggestion?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Does anyone have a suggestion?
Not me. Well maybe. Some 120 count LED (60 turn/60 running) switchbacks seem brighter than the lower count bulbs. I think going to LEDs is a good move in that the rapid attack/decay of the lights 'feels' a little more attention-getting to me. You should be able to find them in amber/amber as well as the more popular white/amber.

If you don't upgrade the flasher to an LED-compatible version you'll get a rapid or 'hyper-flash' rate that some riders prefer as it does stand out. If you stick with incandescents then I got nothin'.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Those are CANBus bulbs. I don't know that they won't work for the STs but they aren't necessary.

spiderman302 might have some recommendations for turn signal/running lights. Some additional aux LEDs connected to your turn signals might be worthwhile. Not being too bright is also a consideration.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Hi folks, I received my lens's from Ad last week and braved the cold at the weekend to go out to the shed and fit them.
As we all know the mirrors on the 1100 are easily removable and so are the indicator assemblies.

I brought them into my warm office and figured out how to remove the lens. I have a heat station that I use for tablet and phone repair. Its set to 200 centigrade.

Carefully heating the glue and slowly prising the lens off worked a treat.

There was a lot of glue left in the back piece, I softened it with the heat station and pressed the new clear lens in and they stuck fast.

I love the look of them. Thank you Ad for getting this done.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Maybe he doesn't realize it's an integral part of a housing and is just differentiating it from the mirror cover. He didn't realize they weren't the same.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
IMG_2944.jpg
I put clear lenses on last summer. This is my ST1100 with my friend JRob's CTX just after I changed them out.

When I did it I cleaned up all the old goo out of the channel. Then I put a new bead of silicone into the channel and pressed the lens in. Water tight and sealed as good as factory (probably better).

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
Maybe he doesn't realize it's an integral part of a housing and is just differentiating it from the mirror cover. He didn't realize they weren't the same.
Well, I have my lenses from my amber to clear changeout. But I am using the housings and the covers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Finally installed my clear lenses. I put the lens housing in the oven at 170 (the lowest it goes) on an old pan. I put it in for 5 minutes, then tried to pry off the lens. On both of them I got 1/2 the lens off, then back in the oven for 5 more minutes or so. I didn't bother to clean out the old glue.The old glue held the lens in. I removed the foam, but didn't replace it. I bought some clear adhesve, but I didn't need it. If it leaks I should be ableto seal it. The switchbacks look really bright. I am thinking about replacing my front Hyperwhites with Skeene lights to get some amber up front.

Bike
1995 Honda ST1100
Getting the clear lenses was one of the best things I've done. I installed LED bulbs. They are super-bright. I used a heat gun to remove the old lenses. I did not even try to reinstall the foam surrounding the old lens. I used a silicon glue to mount the new lens.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I think those are probably one of the World's Most Interesting Farkles. Not just that they make the 1100 look even better but that somebody who apparently isn't in the manufacturing business went to such lengths to make a quality product for a very niche market.

I think Ad is one of the NL group of guys that also does LED swaps for the ST1300's dash lights.

Getting the clear lenses was one of the best things I've done.
And no pic of your baby?? What's up with that! :)

Top Bottom