Clear lenses for the front turninglights ST1100

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I'd be interested in a set as well! This was the only thing keeping me and probably a lot of other guys on here from doing the switchback light conversion!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
This is an amazing endeavor considering the ST1100 hasn't been in production for YEARS. I hope you recoup your investment at the very least!

The process it totally alien to me. Is the fabrication at the China end a if you mold it we will manufacture it operation? From my perspective it seems pretty quick to go from idea to actual product. And it would seem the fit of your lenses is superior to that our 1300 lenses which always require some work on the sockets.

Great job!

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I guess I've been a bit dense on this one. With these clear lenses, what is done regarding the bulb? I'm assuming the idea is to have normal yellow turn signals, but with a change to a white running light?

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I guess I've been a bit dense on this one. With these clear lenses, what is done regarding the bulb? I'm assuming the idea is to have normal yellow turn signals, but with a change to a white running light?
There is a mod that has been popular for the 1300 for years where you replace the amber lenses with clear ones then replace the bulb with a switchback bulb. The switchback bulb burns white with the running lights but turns amber when you engage the turn signals. Until now, clear lenses for the front of the 1100 did not exist while clear lenses for the 1300 can be readily sourced from ebay.

OP
OP
ad1993pan

ad1993pan

Vendor
Bike
ST1100
All ST1100 riders

I have ordered first 1000 sets.
If there is more needed then these 1000 i can easely order more.
For me its first a risk i take and hope to sell at least 800 or more.
Then i can re-order again and help more people to a nicer looking ST1100

regards
Ad

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
There is a mod that has been popular for the 1300 for years where you replace the amber lenses with clear ones then replace the bulb with a switchback bulb. The switchback bulb burns white with the running lights but turns amber when you engage the turn signals. Until now, clear lenses for the front of the 1100 did not exist while clear lenses for the 1300 can be readily sourced from ebay.
Is this just a straight bulb swap (ST1100) with no other electronic gadget thing involved and turn signal function remaining unchanged?

Link to a 'switchback' vendor? as I see them listed many places. Amazon?

Joseph/TX

R.I.P. - 2016/11/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
1994 ST-1100A
Okay, somebody "enlighten" me...what is the benefit of clear lenses over amber?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Is this just a straight bulb swap (ST1100) with no other electronic gadget thing involved and turn signal function remaining unchanged?
These bulbs come with load resistors so that the flasher sees the same load as the original incandescent bulbs. Without the resistors the turn signals will flash much faster than factory and the rear incandescent bulbs won't get to full brightness. Installing an electronic flasher will ensure a normal flash rate regardless of what bulbs are used.

Okay, somebody "enlighten" me...what is the benefit of clear lenses over amber?
Hard to say conclusively. I believe clear lenses when used with white bulbs can be seen more easily and farther way than amber light giving an advantage in conspicuity of the position lighting.

For some of us the clear lenses have a more modern attractive and unifying aesthetic than the amber/clear combo of headlight and turn signals as seen in the OP's avatar.

OP
OP
ad1993pan

ad1993pan

Vendor
Bike
ST1100
There are also orange bulbs and chromed orange bulbs.
they can go in juist like that, or if you want led, thats a diff story.

the clear lenses make the bike look much nicer.
but this is my opinion and Every-one is free to buy them or not to buy them.

regards
ad

Last edited:
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Still not clear to me.
First, are the 'load resistors' an integral part of the bulb, or an extra do-dad.
Second, how does one remove the original lens and re-install the clear one, as they are permanently glued into the turn signal housing.
Heat I suppose?
I couldn't care less about making the bike look 'nicer' by doing this, as in my opinion it doesn't. Only interested in the potential benefit of increased visibility.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
Load resistors are only required when using LED light bulbs, and are meant to make the blinker relay detect sufficient load to blink normally. Without the resistor the relay would blink at a much higher frequency - as if a normal blinker bulb has burned out. There's a resistor mounted in parallel with each LED bulb to increase the total power consumption, and as they are extra do-dads. Fairly small, though, and easily fitted inside the mirror cover. Personally I hated the idea of having to add resistors to 'burn off extra power' and replaced the blinker relay with a version suited for LED lights. I don't need those resistors anymore.

However, combined with the proper switchback LEDs you can have your turn indicators shine bright white while not blinking, and shine yellow/orange while indicating. When you stop indicating, the white light comes on again after half a second or so with most LEDs. This type of lighting will make you more visible indeed! That looks like this (it's an ST1300, but the idea is the same): https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=9&v=GcDtTmCkPag

The original unit can be warmed e.g. in hot water, after which some slow & steady pulling will enable you to pull the original lens off. The clear lens is then indeed glued in place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ad1993pan

ad1993pan

Vendor
Bike
ST1100
Everybody

They are making the lenses at this moment and should be ready by the end of this week or beginning next week.
Then it takes appr. 4-6 weeks to get to the Netherlands , custom clear them and check if they are without damages.
Basicly i have a paypall account and will activate that.

regards
Ad

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
There are also orange bulbs and chromed orange bulbs.
they can go in juist like that, or if you want led, thats a diff story.
The US spec models have "running lights", thus 21/5W dual-filament, whilst our EC-spec have single 21W t/signal bulbs installed...
(I've modded my harness to the US-style 21/5W sockets...)
As there no orange/chromed dual-filament bulbs avail, one needs to swap switchback LEDs to have white running lights and amber t/signals again.

As John pointed out might the reflectors not handle the LEDs very well, resulting in a "bright spot" in the centre of the lens, instead illuminating the full housing/glass like the incandescent types the lamp assys have been designed for.

If anyone could please point to some switchback LEDs featuring true 360? emission?

OP
OP
ad1993pan

ad1993pan

Vendor
Bike
ST1100
ST1100Y
Could you send me some details of the running lights ?
Would like to make them on my bike as well.

regards
Ad

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Top Bottom