Ron Ayres

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I'm sorry to be the bearer of sad news, but we have lost an Iron Butt Association legend.

Yesterday, legendary rider and author Ron Ayres lost his battle with cancer. Many of us knew of his health issues over the last couple of years, but we were all hoping he'd beat the damn thing.
Ron was the author of three of the most popular long distance motorcycling books ever written, including Against the Clock, his story of being the first rider in history to document riding to all 49 states in 7 days, and Against the Wind, the incredible story of his sixth place finish in the 1995 Iron Butt Rally. He also wrote Going the Extra Mile, a book about how to make long distance riding easier and safer. Ron was a multi-time finisher of the Iron Butt Rally, and had ridden in dozens of countries all over the world.
Ron also ran Ayres Adventures, a motorcycle touring company that hosted rides all over the world.

I was fortunate enough to be able to call Ron a friend, and he was a big influence on my early interest in long distance riding. Throughout his life he was always extremely modest, a consummate gentleman, a good friend, and always had a great story to share and a quick smile. Before he passed, he told friends not to feel sorry for him, because "I can't imagine anyone having a better life than I have had."

Godspeed Ron, we will all miss you.

Ride on Brother...

Garry

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
So very sad to hear of Ron's passing but glad that he seemed to be at peace with himself and the life that he lived.
Godspeed to him and condolences to his family and friends.

Patty

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
RIP Ron! Didn't know the man, but it sounds like he lived what he loved! Prayers for the family.

Top Bottom